HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:38 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
Discussion
loading down a T-28 Trojan, or Taking Pictures From the Air

so my trojan is advertised at 37 grams AUW. i am assuming this is with the stock battery. i put in a 9 gram 350 lipo, and then strapped at 33 grams camera to the bottom.
pretty cool! it flies like a pig, the the take offs are realistic, taking much longer than usual. once in the are, its not so bad. handle pretty much like normal, just less responsive, a little slower. i kinda like it. still flies at half throttle, but barely. my camera's CG is off.
but anyways, the whole setup must weigh close to double, but it still flies. seems to glider better, but i dont know how that is.
just my .02
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Last edited by nemoskull; Sep 18, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:44 PM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
pictures!

so i tested it with a 33 gram load. after some frying of the board (oops) i used my back up camera. a little cutting later, and the camera weighed 22 grams. so, AUW i estimate is 65 gramish.
anyways, IT WORKED! take off are labored, slow, and very much fun. cant just hit the throttle and pull back, it takes 20 feet or so. it feels like forever!

but here are the pics i got today. i was fighting the wind, so i could not get to photograph the solar array.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:46 AM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
Didn't realize a T-28 had that kind of lifting power. It surely will handle my 808 keychain camera, I must remember to try that! It appears you had the camera pointing directly down?

Jay
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:22 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
yeah, directly down. its not really a problem stock with a 30 gram payload, but taking off is a problem. not sure if you can hand launch, never tried it. taking off ROG was into the wind. it was a cheap vivitar mini camera,300px by 250px. i need a better camera.