Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:06 AM
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
Discussion
Open Pilot or Arducopter?

Just at the planning stage and am torn between the two platforms.
I'm interested in anybody who runs both platforms. My aim is to run a nested gimbal for a dslr.
Prdad is offline Find More Posts by Prdad
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:26 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,864 Posts
i think arducopter is now very good!!
but it s hard to say which is better because open pilote has only one gyro and one acc...less fonction so..
titeuf007 is offline Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:37 PM
United States, MI
Joined Nov 2003
702 Posts
Arducopter is pretty good but it does require you to do some pid adjusting to get setup perfect. But it does offer ALT hold GPS hold, stabilize mode and u can connect ur pan/tilt system to it for stabilization and it has a very active community. I personally dont have a CC board but i want very bad i missed out on the last batch that came thru. Following the CC thread it seems to be an easy very stable board to setup and it also has a very active community. So you have to ask urself what it is u want to do with ur setup and how much u want to spend. CC board cost about a 1/4 the cost of the arducopter mega unit. And it has less functionality but they do sell out very fast so thats got to be a good thing and to be honest i havent heard any bad things about the boards. That said i still love my arducopter
Hamanu is online now Find More Posts by Hamanu
Old Sep 18, 2011, 03:43 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,044 Posts
I would say Coptercontrol (CC) if you don't need gps. I have both and while the arducopter works ok as a quad it flies horrible in a y6 config (haven't tried anything else yet). My same y6 config with a CC board its like night and day. Also the copter control board from openpilot is nearly 4 times smaller and less than half the price still using quality parts. I also like that nothing is hard coded, all inputs and outputs on the board are user configurable via their CGS software.

The GPS functions of the arducopter are cool but CC does fly smoother in my comparisons. Both need PID tuning but CC does have better default numbers.

If your looking for a real smooth, professional AP platform though I would have to suggest Hoverfly Pro (HFP) (I have a heavy lifter hexa with HFP) or many people are really liking what DJI has brought to the table with the WK-M. Also what currently seems to be the standard but really difficult to build/setup... MikroKopter.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dolby; Sep 18, 2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:34 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,864 Posts
new software is now better and arducopter move on rapidly!
titeuf007 is offline Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:38 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,044 Posts
I'd have to greatly disagree with that titeuf007 I've been updating my Arducopter even running 2.0.43. CC is still better minus the gps features. Sorry I didn't point out I'm running the latest firmware on both platforms.

I'd rather Arducopter would release updates a bit slower with more testing. I wasnt happy when they changed the prop rotation on the Y6 with out much notice. The wiki picture was updated but the APM picture on the firmware page still isnt updated.

The GPS features of Arducopter have gotten much better recently and its fun to play with them... But compare the flying I like my CC hands down.
Dolby is offline Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dolby; Sep 18, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 04:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
179 Posts
If you want expandability then arducopter. If you want a very good gyro/accel board then the CC.

OpenPilot are working on their own board that will have the same, if not more functionality as the arducopter but lets be honest - when they are ready, they will be as easy to get hold off as chicken teeth.

ice.
icedfusion is offline Find More Posts by icedfusion
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:26 PM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,394 Posts
Hi,
Both flight controllers are excellent values for multicopters with superb support. I suggest that you get both and have fun learning and flying!
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
"You can never have too many multicopters!"
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Oct 02, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2011, 05:34 PM
Joined Jun 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by titeuf007 View Post
i think arducopter is now very good!!
but it s hard to say which is better because open pilote has only one gyro and one acc...less fonction so..
open pilot has 3 acc and 3 gyros, not 1 of each
gdub is offline Find More Posts by gdub
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:03 PM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
You can also consider Hoverfly pro board. Loads of happy users out there.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:03 PM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,157 Posts
I just got done setting up a adrupilot and It didn't take alot of adjustments. she flys very well and the alt hold is about perfect.GPS locks on every time. I had a copter control when they were first released, and it had alot fo drift, but either way you go, the newer software for both boards is alot better and easy to use. also look at future upgrades, the adrupilot has lots of room for extra sensors, as the copter control, is just gyros and acc.
tc3wins is offline Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Oct 02, 2011, 10:22 PM
Joined Dec 2000
289 Posts
Tc3wins im glad you got it set up i told you it was easy. What code are you running? I have both and i like them almost equally. The CC board seams a little more stable but that may just be my tuning. All the features on the Arducopter work well after you do some tuning. RTL is my favorite works very well. I know a lot of people say it wobbles but i was able to tune that out very easily. Their both great boards.
Spin_Doctor is offline Find More Posts by Spin_Doctor
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:32 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,178 Posts
You could also try the MegaPirate.
It depends on the same code base as the ArduCopter but without the need for proprietary hardware:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post18244388

You can get full featured electronix for less than 250$ when using a Flyduino+FreeIMU+GPS or the Black Vortex All-in-one FC.

Here's a video demonstrating waypoint navigation with Menno's latest code.

MegaPirate 2_042 GPS mission flight demo (1 min 53 sec)
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:43 AM
TECH for XaircraftAmerica!
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2009
5,157 Posts
Now that program will it work on the adrupilot board?
tc3wins is offline Find More Posts by tc3wins
Old Oct 03, 2011, 03:59 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3wins View Post
Now that program will it work on the adrupilot board?
You mean the Mission Planner? Sure ... in fact it's originally meant for the ArduCopter2 but can be used for both the AC2 and the MP code.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member