RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,073 Posts
Mike,

It's more a matter of cheating vs competing.

Some would say, and I am one one them, that certain flights observed in Muncie were not possible with 1750 watt mins.

And some would say, that going unlimited for a run, and not getting checked after the flight, is a risk that a pilot can take, because they justify that it would just be a "throw out" round if caught, for example. This would be "playing by the rules" according to some.

Another issue I observed was motor staying on past base A, despite the throttle signal being off prior to the buzzer. Cheating or competing? You be the judge. Without "evidence", what can be said or done. Nothing.....

Unless the rules governing an event are detectable and evenly enforced, there will be a grey area.

And where there are grey areas, there is speculation and room for interpretation as to cheating vs competing.

Main thing is this Mike, what you consider cheating has a lot to do with your culture. And someone that grew up in a different culture may have a very different interpretation. Someone very smart, skilled and ethical by most any standard, that grew up with a culturally different view on cheating vs competing, might very look at all the angles for any possible advantage, understanding the risks and penalties, and deciding something very different than you or I.

Ken, Team Japan, mentioned to me after Muncie, that his Japan Open would include a very simple added element. After each flight, the unilogger download would be viewed and stored. Simple solution.

I applaud the efforts of Golikov and others here, as they increase the communications and attempt to make changes that will improve and grow our sport.
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Last edited by epwierman; Sep 19, 2011 at 01:49 AM.