2,319 Posts
Pesco Turner Special
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:51 PM
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
Thanks for the input. Keep it coming.

I spent much of today looking through photos & 3-views. Over the years, I have compiled a list of about 200 subjects that I would like to model. Almost all of your suggestions are on that list...along with a lot of others. The hardest part of my job is deciding what to do next, because there are so many good choices.

Tom
AlienAircraft is offline Find More Posts by AlienAircraft
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:08 AM
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
scigs30...Doing a clipped wing version of the Alien Aircraft Cub is easy.

On step 51, move the W-3 rib 4" outboard toward the tip (trim the back end of the rib to fit the slightly wider T.E. sheet). It will not line up with any rib on the plan. Put shear web "B" in place.

On step #52, glue rib W-2 into position against the shear web. This rib will now be 4" outboard from its position as shown on the plan.

On step #53, delete the W-4 rib. Glue the remaining ribs in their original places.

Build the rest of the wing per the instructions, and then trim the excess 4" of spars & trailing edges flush with the W-2 rib. Join the outer wing panels to the center section according to the instructions.

I would also change the strut end fittings to run fore and aft as on the Herr Engineering models and not spanwise as shown on the plan. I'm going to change this on the Cub & Taylorcraft plans before the next production run.

Tom
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:14 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
http://supersolutionproject.blogspot.com/
just a little food for thought =)
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrc View Post
WOW...The workmanship in that is beautiful. Having built and flown several homebuilts with wooden wings, I can appreciate his extraordinary effort.

Tom
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:22 AM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
940 Posts
Plane I'd buy in a heartbeat.

How about a Golden Age Warbird? I nominate the Polish PZL P11.c.

A beautiful gull wing plane, simple fixed landing gear, 2 blade prop is scale.

I think it's a crying shame to put a 2 blade prop on a plane that used a 3 or 4 blade prop stock.

Take a look, everybody; http://www.google.com/search?q=PZL+P...Q&ved=0CCkQsAQ

Dumas has a good quality kit available, but it's a rubber powered design that has to be modified for electric rc, and is not an easy build.

A fast building, good flying, park size P11.c from Alien Aircraft would likely cause me to have 2 or 3 of them. Take my money, please!
Mazzepa1 is online now Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:09 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danrc View Post
You have a lot of clamps their sir. And fantastic skill!
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:07 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,511 Posts
My other heart throb is the P-6E. Never seen a kit in this size range other than the old Goldberg foam wing jobs (which I have collected several and stashed away). But for most those are few and far between to get ahold of and not readily convertible to electric.
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:19 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
plus one on the P6E. write me a sales ticket right now!
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:15 AM
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
I have to say that I have a great fondness for biplanes. I flew airshows in an Acro Soprt for a number of years and built 3 Pitts Specials. I remember my first flight in the Pitts. I kept looking out at the wing tips thinking...I could just reach out and touch them if I wanted. It's such a small airplane.

Anyway... CryHavoc & danrc, I really do not like the P6E. The inline engine is just not right for the period on that style of airplane. But that is a personal opinion. But if you like it, that's great. Because, you can't argue about personal preferences. It is a beautiful airplane.

However, without giving to much away about my intentions, there was another Curtiss biplane from the same era that had a radial engine with an NACA ring cowl that I think is one of the prettiest airplanes ever made. It is probably never modeled in the present time because because the radial engine is a prominent feature, and the fine details can't be duplicated with vac-forming. And the little girls in China can't duplicate what we can do with laser cutting and a little of work on your part.

And Boeing had a great biplane from the same era. Maybe I'll do three biplanes in a row.

Tom
Old Oct 08, 2011, 03:12 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I think I see where you're going. I like the ringed radials. This should be neat.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:10 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienAircraft View Post
I have to say that I have a great fondness for biplanes. I flew airshows in an Acro Soprt for a number of years and built 3 Pitts Specials. I remember my first flight in the Pitts. I kept looking out at the wing tips thinking...I could just reach out and touch them if I wanted. It's such a small airplane.

Anyway... CryHavoc & danrc, I really do not like the P6E. The inline engine is just not right for the period on that style of airplane. But that is a personal opinion. But if you like it, that's great. Because, you can't argue about personal preferences. It is a beautiful airplane.

However, without giving to much away about my intentions, there was another Curtiss biplane from the same era that had a radial engine with an NACA ring cowl that I think is one of the prettiest airplanes ever made. It is probably never modeled in the present time because because the radial engine is a prominent feature, and the fine details can't be duplicated with vac-forming. And the little girls in China can't duplicate what we can do with laser cutting and a little of work on your part.

And Boeing had a great biplane from the same era. Maybe I'll do three biplanes in a row.

Tom
(chanting) F4B4! F4B4 F4B4!

While perhaps a bit more complicated, the Grumman Duck would be interesting!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:43 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,288 Posts
I was not going to add to this discussion until now.
Noone has mentioned the very nice Travelair biplanes--the 2000 and 4000.
they have my vote.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:35 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
(chanting) F4B4! F4B4 F4B4!

While perhaps a bit more complicated, the Grumman Duck would be interesting!

James
One of the best movies"Murphy's War" I would like to see this kitted in this size range. A lot of wood and kit price would reflect that. But worth it.

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:26 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienAircraft View Post

Tom
Ahhhh darn, While I don't agree with the reasoning I can definitely respect your decision. If your heart isn't in it then the final product will most likely reflect it.

Nothing wrong at all with round engine airplanes. Looking forward to what you show us.

If were going radial floatplanes, How about the Japanese "Pete". Don't think I've ever seen a kit of this plane.

Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Last edited by CryHavoc; Oct 09, 2011 at 08:34 PM.