HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined May 2005
753 Posts
The paint is dried and I was able to finish up the Taylorcraft. Once again a fun easy build and I cannot wait to take her out for the first flight. Now back to building my Pt-17.
scigs30 is offline Find More Posts by scigs30
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 11:24 PM
This we'll defend
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined May 2011
63 Posts
I've been eyeing this kit myself. You did a fantastic job with it. Maybe you could give me some insight into the plans I have for my build.

My aim is to build a bush plane that I can play around with at the park, doing short take off and landings.

I want to at least use at least a 3" wheel (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZF5&P=0) or even better yet, >4" air filled wheel (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD766&P=0). I'm just concerned about the weight of those large air filled wheels.

I have a host of 3S 2200mAh LiPos I'd like to be able to use, think this plane as enough space and can handle the extra weight of a bigger pack?

I've also looked over the build plans and I'm thinking about duplicating the ailerons and making flaps for the thing.

Any insight and suggestions you can provide from your experience with this plane would be most helpful.
Libtekguy is offline Find More Posts by Libtekguy
Old Oct 03, 2011, 09:16 PM
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libtekguy View Post
I've been eyeing this kit myself. You did a fantastic job with it. Maybe you could give me some insight into the plans I have for my build.

My aim is to build a bush plane that I can play around with at the park, doing short take off and landings.

I want to at least use at least a 3" wheel (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAZF5&P=0) or even better yet, >4" air filled wheel (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD766&P=0). I'm just concerned about the weight of those large air filled wheels.

I have a host of 3S 2200mAh LiPos I'd like to be able to use, think this plane as enough space and can handle the extra weight of a bigger pack?

I've also looked over the build plans and I'm thinking about duplicating the ailerons and making flaps for the thing.

Any insight and suggestions you can provide from your experience with this plane would be most helpful.
I personally would not recommend making those changes. You could add up to 30% additional weight which will have an adverse effect on the way the model flys. I can't quantify the degradation in performance the extra weight will have, but it will take you in a direction away from goodness.

Wing loading is the key, and if you want to do short takeoffs and landings, keep it light. There is a reason that the term "lead sled" is used to describe overweight models.

Tom
AlienAircraft is offline Find More Posts by AlienAircraft
Old Oct 04, 2011, 12:22 AM
Joined May 2005
753 Posts
I added the electronics to my Taylorcraft and final weight is just under 16oz. That is not too bad since I added balsa to the nose and covered with Monokote. Once again a great kit.....Now if Alien Aircraft could come out with some WWI birds and WWII birds....
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:44 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
Im personally excited about all the Golden Age planes Alien is about to release!

Dan
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:13 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifax View Post
Im personally excited about all the Golden Age planes Alien is about to release!

Dan
which ones? I didnt see that post but it sounds cool.
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:54 PM
Joined Nov 2009
14 Posts
Conveniently, now that the PT-17 is done, I'm getting ready to start the next project. I'd like to get one new kit done before the end of the year. I like the Himax HC-2816-0890 Motor that we use in the Extra and PT-17 so I'm thinking of using it again in something with around 300-350 sq." area. Let me know what subjects you would like to see. Can't guarantee anything, but the next model will probably be a classic that is recognizable but has not been done to death.

Tom
AlienAircraft is offline Find More Posts by AlienAircraft
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:51 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Tom how about a Piper Tomahawk? Or as we called it in flight training the Trauma-hawk. Brings back good memories and I think would fly really well.

A Spook would be cool for Golden Age... Not a scale model but cool none the less.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; Oct 05, 2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 09:40 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
How about a Laird Super Solution, Cessna 190, or Travel air Mystery Ship?
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Last edited by danrc; Oct 05, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 10:44 AM
Cleveland
Joined Jun 2002
2,307 Posts
Tom,

Mike, Ike or Pete would be very, very cool or an early Travel Air. Or a Great Lakes Bipe.

Dan
Carnifax is offline Find More Posts by Carnifax
Old Oct 05, 2011, 12:46 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2011
161 Posts
Tom,

Newbie here.
I'll toss two ideas out: the "Fly Baby" and the Pietenpol "Air Camper".

Both interesting, both uncommon builds these days, yet both are well mannered flyers.

Just a thought.

Bill
Billinaz is offline Find More Posts by Billinaz
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:55 PM
Joined May 2005
753 Posts
How hard would it be to convert the Piper Cub to a Clipped wing version? I am looking on the website and the length of the fuselage is not listed. I built the Old Herr Piper Cub and converted to electric, but wish I would have added Ailerons. So if it can be done, I may also buy the electric Cub and build it as a clipped wing version. here is my converted Herr Cub.

Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:01 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
Anderson Kingfisher about the size of your other seaplane would be cool.....and the air camper
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:25 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
843 Posts
Hi Tom,
More model suggestions from The Golden Age of Aviation:
-DH-89 Dragon Rapide
-Lockheed Vega
-Monocoupe 70
-Spartan Executive
-Sikorsky S-39