HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:10 PM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Help!
E-flite PNP 450 shaft replacement

Hey all,

I'm a bit of noob, so I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but I was wondering if someone might be willing to help me figure out how to replace the shaft on my E-flite PNP 450 outrunner (EFLM7210). I believe I have found the correct shaft (EFLM72101), however it seems to be out of stock everywhere I look. I have placed an order with Horizon Hobby anyway, but I don't know how long it will take to actually get one. I have searched all over google and can't seem to find a guide for the actual replacement. It was easy to get the motor apart, but the shaft won't budge. I am afraid to use a TON of force, because I don't want to break anything. I think there must be something I am missing, one last thing I need to do before the shaft will come loose. Can anyone help? I'm hoping someone can lead me to a better place to get a new shaft, as well as a guide to the shaft replacement. Thanks!!

Travis
TravisNeedham is offline Find More Posts by TravisNeedham
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:28 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
The basic's:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1126102

As bad as your shaft is bent I'd either push it out from the back of the bell OR cut the bent part of the shaft off flush with the bell and then push out the rest from the front.

If you don't want to wait this shaft will fit
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...39&item_id=250
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:00 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,222 Posts
What shultz said! Cut that off, stand the magnet housing over a deep socket wrench, or piece of small tubing, and press the shaft down into the tubing. It is pretty much normal for a shaft to slide out of the inner bearing races without too much trouble but to be a press fit in the magnet housing. This thread has the details on making your own shafts, cutting them to lenght, and getting snap ring grooves and flats in the right places:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1240725

There is some info in that thread on where to get shaft material too, here is a place that has a good assortment of shafts at decent prices and that ships cheap too:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...fts/Categories

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I purchased 3 shafts from Shultz's link, but unfortunately they don't fit either. They are 4mm shafts, and I need 3.17mm. I have a 450 PNP or BL450, so it takes a slightly smaller shaft than the normal 450 outrunner. They still seem sold out everywhere, but I think I finally found one here. They'll probably send me an e-mail after I order saying that they are actually out of stock We'll see!
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:06 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
you must have received the wrong shafts... the shafts I linked SHOULD HAVE BEEN 3.17mm... man sorry about that.

Even the motor specs call it 3.17mm
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...29&item_id=135

Edit:
Contact value hobby... they should make it right.
Last edited by shultz; Sep 24, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
Yeah, strange. Does it have anything to do with the extra number on the end of the title? In the parenthesis? (28-36) vs. (35-30)
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:20 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, strange. Does it have anything to do with the extra number on the end of the title? In the parenthesis? (28-36) vs. (35-30)

In both of the links I see (28-36)... where are you seeing 35-30
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
is this the shaft you ordered?

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...39&item_id=251

It is 4mm...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
http://www.valuehobby.com/products.php?category_id=39

Here there are two shafts listed for the 450, and they look exactly the same except those numbers in the parens.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
No, that's not the one I ordered. I DID order the other one you first linked. I think they simply sent me the wrong one. I am e-mailing them now. How could you tell that that one was 4mm vs the other one 3.17?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
The numbers are the difference... the 2836 is 3.17mm the 3530 is 4mm.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
But how did you know that from the given (or lack there of) descriptions?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:28 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:
No, that's not the one I ordered. I DID order the other one you first linked. I think they simply sent me the wrong one. I am e-mailing them now. How could you tell that that one was 4mm vs the other one 3.17?
I'm sure they will make it right... I have a couple of the 3530's... I know they are 4mm
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2011
8 Posts
I see. Cool. Thanks for your help. Have you been pleased with the build quality in general from valuehobby? Their prices are fantastic! It makes me want to go on a shopping spree But I'm worried about things like servos, motors, and ESC's going out during flights due to poor build quality. Should I be worried, or not?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quote:
I see. Cool. Thanks for your help. Have you been pleased with the build quality in general from valuehobby? Their prices are fantastic! It makes me want to go on a shopping spree But I'm worried about things like servos, motors, and ESC's going out during flights due to poor build quality. Should I be worried, or not?

The motors are OK quality wise... I've never had any problems myself... may need to replace the bearings sooner than a big name brand but that's cheap and simple. As for ESC's again NEVER had any problems... I tend to run about 15-20% under spec's so I'm never pushing them to the max. Servo's... in the smaller stuff like 9gram size I've had BETTER luck with the cheap stuff than Parkzone or Hitec... that's not saying much as I've only had one parkzone and one Hitec servo fail in the 5 or so years I've been flying electric.

all in all I'm happy with the cheap stuff on foamies and small park flyer's... If were talking a plane I put a bunch of time into building then it's getting the best stuff I can afford