Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:21 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,617 Posts
Build Log
Jamara "ISLANDER" a twin electric semi-scale model

I thought I start a build log on this model from Jamara. There was a build thread a while back but nothing updated.... so here I go....

The model details for those who're interest, suggest visit :
http://www.neuershop.jamara.com/Islander-EP_1

There is also a vid worth watching :
http://www.movies.jamara-modelltechn...x.php?movie=38

(music can be torturous )

My first impression is that it's a good kit [made in Taiwan(?) to German spec] and all bits fit together well.

Modification I've made so far :

1. Reinforced ribs 2 and 3 on both wings with 1/16 ply - this is needed to ensure it can take occasional heavy(ish) landings or taxing on rough ground.

2. Wing servo tray reinforced with a 1/4 x 1/4 spruce since there was springiness on the tray.

3. Wing rest on the fuz strengthen with 1/16 ply and 1/8 balsa.

4. Nose cone (inner) - added balsa to strengthen it, probably this was not necessary.

5. Elevator and rudder servo tray strengthen with 1/16 ply.

6. 1/16 ply added to half ribs where motor tray sits. That's done for both wings.

7. Wing joiners - not sure if I want to keep it as a 1-piece wing but may consider making it as a 2-piece wing for ease of carrying in small cars. Will let you know what I've decided.

8. Rudder servo is Hitec HS-82MG + used beefier link between the servo and nose wheel. Also used close-loop for rudder (which I always do for all my models)

Well that's all I've done so far and will update you from time to time.

I must admit I'm not sure how much of this modifications were needed but I found from all past ARTF models that by adding extra strengths at certain critical points do make models fly better and last longer.

Comments on anything I should add or I shouldn't change?

Cheers

Anup
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Oct 30, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:26 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,617 Posts
I've strengthen the nose cone with 1/4 inch balsa and built up a 3D structure. This I felt was needed because the structure broke on gentle knock during building stage. I'll post pic soon.

Also strengthen the front end of the fuz by adding 6x10mm medium hard balsa all around the front end to the back of servo tray. Strength in that area is weak to say the least. I know it added some weight but don't think it was more than 50gram. It's probably worth paying that weight penalty which hopefully would save more building work in the future.

I've settled for a two piece wing system. Used a 12mm flat iron bar as the wing joiner.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:06 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,556 Posts
Hi Hangar07,

I built an OD one for floats a few months back and it has flown off water a couple of times, and flies pretty well. I found some difficulty with the main UC legs and will be interested to see how the kit solves the problem of transferring the landing loads (shocks?) to the wing mounting.
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike View Post
Hi Hangar07,

I built an OD one for floats a few months back and it has flown off water a couple of times, and flies pretty well. I found some difficulty with the main UC legs and will be interested to see how the kit solves the problem of transferring the landing loads (shocks?) to the wing mounting.
Hi Mike,
Just seen your post - it's raining here and no play - best time to catch up with paper or building work. The main landing gear has spring shock absorbers so I think it would take some of the loads during landings, certainly wouldn't do any harm by having shock absorbers IMO.

Since you've built an o/d version of Islander so you might find building shock absorbers not too difficult . I think it's just two closely fitting aluminium tubes with a spring attached to the inner tube. Total length of the actual absorber is 110mm.

You might find the link below useful :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/__rc...=284591_284611

Any chance of seeing pics of your Islander?

Cheers.

Anup
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:33 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,358 Posts
Iam sighned up for your build . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, PA, Grove City
Joined Jan 2011
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar07 View Post

Comments on anything I should add or I shouldn't change?

Cheers

Anup
Can I talk you into a fuse modification, adding clear windows for the front windscreen? I realize it would take some careful CF reinforcing along the thin pillars that would be remaining, after the cutting.
Sticker glass just doesn't do it for me, but then again I keep a GWS sticker window BN2 in the car, for my flying buddy. He loves it, and it is a good sport flyer. I'm sure this one will be similar.

Whatever you do with the wing, I'm sure you'll keep it strong. There's a lot of wing on this plane, and without CF sparring, we would have certainly broken the wing on the little foamie. It have a variable dihedral wing, when flown hard. The BN2's performance really talks you into flying it like a warbird, and not a Piper Cub.
Bill
Onna Vakkation is offline Find More Posts by Onna Vakkation
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:02 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Christchurch,England
Joined Aug 2004
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar07 View Post

Any chance of seeing pics of your Islander?

Cheers.

Anup
OK - the latest is that the float Islander has flown off grass after a successful sortie off water some time ago, but the landing gear was not good enough and I got a prop strike on the floats. back to the (wire) drawing board.

My 48" version Depron of the Ross Islander has flown but is waiting for a bigger RX so that I can mix throttle with rudder for water steering.
Sopwith Mike is online now Find More Posts by Sopwith Mike
Old Dec 04, 2011, 03:07 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,617 Posts
Slow but steady progress

I'm making slow progress but rest assure, it's steady. After spending much time in fitting the nose wheel, I'm not satisfied with sloppiness which means risk of making a full 360 turn after landing. So gone back to my trusted system - close loop for both nose wheel and rudder. I also discovered there were two mini rectangular holes already in the fuz - just right for feeding fishing lines. So it was probably designed for close loop Nose wheel is now rock solid

My belated thanx to both Mike Sopworth and Onna Vakkation.

Good photos Mike... but what model is in the centre with yellow covering???

BTW Onna, I'd change to transparent windows but at a later date. I think the model is just right for taking aerial photos - no prop to interfere with. Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers

PS : @ Mike, Did you make white model slightly different - longer nose and fuz? I find that llooks better than the pink version.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Dec 07, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,617 Posts
Made some good progress with the model and added flaps. Too busy building ...will post some pics soon ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,617 Posts
Building update .....

Just three pics attached to show that I've at last finished the model. Snowing today ... bitterly cold - no maiden yet.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,617 Posts
In the snow

A few more pics .... this time in snow. No maiden yet....:~(
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,617 Posts
Maiden Flight

Yep, completed the maiden yesterday, 16 February.2012

Very pleased with it - it flies just the way I wanted it to - nice and smooth turns and it was flying at 1/3 throttle.

I think I'll be flying this one a lot.

Here is a vid:

Islander - maiden.MOD (1 min 24 sec)

RC Islander Take off and shakey flying.MOD (3 min 3 sec)

Cheers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 17, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,617 Posts
Flaps

Here is a new vid after a test flight today (29 Feb 2012). Installed flaps - they were very effective.... will have to reduced them drastically. This is apparent during the final touch down...

Suggest watch from 2im 25 sec.

29 Feb 2014 - testing FLAPS.MOD (5 min 34 sec)

BTW, it's an electric twin . ... the sound in the background is from a RAF heli ...

Pleased with its flying and will be flying it regularly this year and next...

Cheers

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 29, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,617 Posts
May 2012 update

Weather got better in the past week - had two very successful and satisfactory flying. It has been trimmed correctly and flies really slow and steady. Pleased with it.

Must admit, a few weeks ago I had to do a major repair on the fuz when the plane got slightly non-responsive to ailerons in air, just managed to land on the field but at about 3 feet from the ground, the rudder and fin collapsed !!!!!! Fortunately there was no other damage. Re-build or perhaps correct to say re-enforced fuz with 1/4 x 1/4 inch balsa and strengthen the base of both tailplane and rudder seats. Fingers crossed, these are now rock solid. After all the 1/4 x 1/4 balsa,1/32 and some 1/8ply addition, the net weight gain was nothing because originally I had to add ~40g nose weight to balance the model. Now it balances with no lead weight.

Discarded the supplied nose wheel and used a more chunky nose wheel - this is highly recommended. Also used a tail servo (20g) and no push rods just a 6 inch metal link to elevator. Closed loop to Rudder and a separate metal gear servo for nose wheel (Hitech 225MG) - all working well.

This Islander can be flown fairly scale like speed.

Cheers
RCG Plus Member