HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:49 AM
That's my REAL name!
Italy, Umbria, Marsciano
Joined Jun 2011
141 Posts
Discussion
How do you hang your plans?

I've got four huge sheets of plans for my ship, a Seabex One, and wondered if anyone has a magic idea for hanging them conveniently so one can be brought to the front quickly and easily.
Graham Lane is offline Find More Posts by Graham Lane
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:07 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
i just used sticky tape and a wall when building celestia
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:20 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,592 Posts
In Drawing offices the plans were hung on pegs fastened to a backing plate, The Drawings had a self adhesive strip with a series of slots punched in the edge.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:30 AM
United States, OH, Centerville
Joined Aug 2010
39 Posts
Hi Graham

I had the same problem with my plans. I did not want to put holes in the wall (well, another person said I did not want to put holes in the wall) and tape could also have caused damage (so I was told). I now have 2 3X4 foot plans, one on top of the other, hanging on my wall using 3M Reusable Adhesive hooks.

I got the kind with the narrow metal hook, not the one shown. I needed the narrow metal hook to fit the binder clip to hang the plans.

Since this is in my garage I found the the plans would be blown around when the door was open and lifting one plan to see the other was not working either. Since I have 2 plan pages I got 4 1/4 diameter wood dowels 4 foot long and 16 feet of 3/16 ID clear PVC tubing. I then cut the tubing in 4 foot lengths then split the tubing along the entire length with a sharp blade.

I rolled a dowel in the top and bottom of each plan just enough to cover the dowel then slid the split tubing over the dowel. The tubing holds the plan on the dowel the entire length. The dowel and tubing protects the plan edge, gives the plan page weight and makes it somewhat rigid.

I then placed three binder clips on the tubing and slid the ring of the binder clip on the wall hook. The plans do not blow around in the wind and I can now lift the top page to see the one beneath or easily lift the top one off completely.

I hope this helps.

Ed
Raceguy is offline Find More Posts by Raceguy
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:46 AM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
Tape/mount them to the light sign board material available at a plastics shop or a graphic sign maker - only problem can be long exposure to sunlight - eventually the linework will fade. I'm attempting to scan the sheets to jpg files - can then window areas and print off at 11x17 size and still retain the originals.
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:42 AM
That's my REAL name!
Italy, Umbria, Marsciano
Joined Jun 2011
141 Posts
I was thinking of putting two strips of batten either side of the top edge and screwing through but I like the dowel method.

Scanning is not really an option unless you have a graphics studio. However, you can PHOTOGRAPH your plans, in high resolution, and then download to your computer. Great if you have a PC next to your bench. I don't.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:32 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,561 Posts
I put two long, straight peg board holders at the correct width then hang the sheet over the tools etc. on the board with two wooden spring clothes pins with a hole drilled in one leg.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Sep 17, 2011, 03:24 PM
United States, OH, Centerville
Joined Aug 2010
39 Posts
My plans were for a smaller scale so I took them to FedEx (was Kinko's) here in the US. They scanned and printed them at the enlarged size I needed. I also had them save the scan to a thumb drive so I can print sections at home or have them do a full reprint should my enlarged plans fade.

Ed
Raceguy is offline Find More Posts by Raceguy
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:20 PM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
747 Posts
I did a bunch of work for a designer group that have a large copier/scanner - owe me quite a bit so hopefully can scan the plans there!
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:26 PM
Sweeper Nut
Joined Apr 2007
624 Posts
I wish I had room to hang plans..
Mike McCrea is offline Find More Posts by Mike McCrea
Old Sep 17, 2011, 05:41 PM
ADM. 48TH FLEET
oxnard ca.
Joined Jul 2007
1,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCrea View Post
I wish I had room to hang plans..
i don't hang mine up eather......i lay them out on a seperate bench....

joe
desron48 is offline Find More Posts by desron48
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:10 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,932 Posts
When I worked at Harken they had drawing holders mounted on the walls all around the office. I don't know where they got them. All they were was an aluminum channel about three feet long with a bunch of plastic rollers trapped inside. You just pushed the upper edge of the print up into the rollers and they grabbed onto the paper. To release, you just slide the print sideways and it would fall out. It would easily hold several sheets. Of course, these would have to be mounted to the wall, but when the prints are not in it it's only a strip about two inches high and three feet wide.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:11 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
I mounted a 2"x1/4" flat bar of steel 10' long on the wall using counter sink screws attaching to wall studs.

I have several earth magnets with large spring paper clips that I use to hang the plans I am using. Three or four per sheet so they don't rip from their own weight.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:28 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,534 Posts
Ditto, a steel bar screwed to the wall with magnets holding up the plans.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:53 AM
That's my REAL name!
Italy, Umbria, Marsciano
Joined Jun 2011
141 Posts
Magnets! Brilliant idea. I have a load of them, removed from my slot cars, so that's well worth considering. Thanks.

I'm thinking of forming a loop of string or cord down the back and up the front of each sheet with a strip of dowel along the lower edge. A little pulley at the top and I can roll up the front plan to reveal the one behind, and so on, like a roller blind. Sounds complicated but not actually.