HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:23 AM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,312 Posts
I found this amazing:

Fellow RCG'r "RED"

"I had a vey good view of the whole incedent. The guy in all black in this photo is me"

http://news.yahoo.com/reno-crash-kil...212230699.html
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Last edited by c/f; Sep 18, 2011 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Fixed Link
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:26 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/f View Post
I found this amazing:

Fellow RCG'r "RED"

"I had a vey good view of the whole incedent. The guy in all black in this photo is me"

http://news.yahoo.com/reno-crash-kil...212230699.html
Sorry, the page you requested either doesn't exist or isn't available right now!
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:26 AM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
839 Posts
I am sorry for this tragedy, it is a terrible lost.

It is a miracle that there was no fire, I do not know how the aircraft, did not burn.

I can only imagine how much worse this would have been with a fire and explosion.
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:31 AM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
839 Posts
Picture was found
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:32 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,253 Posts
Somewhere, people were talking about photos taken earlier on during the race, suggesting wrinkles on the exterior, and the "Galloping Ghost" having hit severe turbulence during the flight.

... perhaps a picture is forming but us armchair investigators don't have all the parts yet ...
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:33 AM
c/f
Joined Jan 2004
3,312 Posts
Link fixed
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:22 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I dunno. like I said, I heard on the news that the pilot was having some difficulties at take off. if this is true, the problems started long before any turbulence, or the crash. I don't buy the turbulence theory, unless more than one other pilot says the same thing. zones of turbulence aren't limited to a single plane flying through it, which means more than one had to.

I don't mean to be crude or search for gore here, but was the body of Jimmy recoverable? I'm just wondering if there's enough left to do an autopsy to see if there was a medical issue behind the crash. it's possible that a medical condition caused him to slump in the cockpit, which input a control command that overstressed the airframe enough to break the trim tab off. just a hypothesis of course. sooner or later, we'll find out everything.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:23 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
I don't buy the turbulence theory, unless more than one other pilot says the same thing. zones of turbulence aren't limited to a single plane flying through it, which means more than one had to.
Not sure what your background is in air racing and Reno specifically but there are several documented events where Rare Bear's prop blast caused the trailing racer to almost lose complete control and crash. Skip holm lived to talk about it. I am not saying that this is what happened in this event though since the details are not completely disclosed at this time.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:54 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I have no background in air racing. I've seen it once. does that count? not sure what that has to do with anything though, but ok. any "blast" is no good, wether it's prop blast or jet blast. my aero background tells me that. what I was specifically responding to, was turbulence. what you are saying and what he was saying are two different things.

however, I do agree with you, that prop blast could have that effect and it's obviously been proven in the past. I doubt that caused this crash though.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:03 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
prop blast could have that effect and it's obviously been proven in the past. I doubt that caused this crash though.
What I recall reading was that the Galloping Ghost was bounced in the wake of two other Mustangs. The speculation was that it could have caused some damage that led to failures later on.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Sep 18, 2011, 01:13 PM
Not Funny......
United States, CO, Redstone
Joined Dec 2010
907 Posts
Quote:
...LuvEvolution7........(snip)............ that prop blast could have that effect and it's obviously been proven in............
Huh? Just what has been proven by exposure to "prop blast"?
Are "prop blasts" similar to the dreaded "air pockets"?

Too many armchair/keyboard aviation experts here with little to no qualification to input anything other than uninformed opinion.
I am just appalled by some of the ignorant statements that fill this thread.

I do note that there is little comment/speculation from those members that I personally KNOW to have the background to knowledgeably make an input. They know better.

(EddieP....Al.....I'm not talking about you guys)

-Mike
Mike Warren is offline Find More Posts by Mike Warren
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:35 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,931 Posts
I saw a pic on airliners.net that clearly showed the left elevator trim tab was gone. The plane was inverted and from video slowly rolling to the right if I remember. Would losing a trim tab cause a sharp pitch-up? Maybe he realized there was a problem, pulled-up, g-loc'd and was out of it after that.

It's amazing there's not better video out there, thousands of cameras going at the same time. It's like the L-39 crash a few years ago, there never was video online of the crash, just the tumbling fireball. People suck at keeping stuff in frame! I heard it was wake turbulence that rolled him into the ground.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:11 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,251 Posts
yeah, my earlier statement is incorrect, its very vissible that he was passed out and slumped over the sitck...i dont think he passed out right away, but that last pitch from level flight inverted right into the ground put him out for sure.

sad either way, we keep losing great men and machines, and its getting to be really sad since its happening so frequently.

its obvious the guys racing 51's need to look into control trim tabs since this the second issue with them
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Warren View Post
Huh? Just what has been proven by exposure to "prop blast"?
Are "prop blasts" similar to the dreaded "air pockets"?

Too many armchair/keyboard aviation experts here with little to no qualification to input anything other than uninformed opinion.
I am just appalled by some of the ignorant statements that fill this thread.

I do note that there is little comment/speculation from those members that I personally KNOW to have the background to knowledgeably make an input. They know better.

(EddieP....Al.....I'm not talking about you guys)

-Mike
pdawg stated that there had been documented cases where prop blast had affected planes in the past. I was commenting that it obviously had been proven in the past. what's wrong with that exactly? since you used my quote directly, I will take it as you are calling me ignorant. what exactly have I been ignorant about? I've expressed my sorrow for these people and I've suggested possibilites as to why, but deffinitely said that somehow the pilot was incapacitated. that's the only statement that I know to be true, based on what I've seen. I did not say how he was incapacaitated, only that he was in some way. I've had my Transportation Canada qualifications long enough to know not to speculate till the truth is revealed. that is why I leave my comments at simply saying he was incapacitated somehow. everything else will be revealed. the only other thing I know for sure, is that somehow, enough stress was put on that airframe, to force the tail wheel out of its internal lock. that also reveals volumes about the accident. what's not professional and possibily ignorant about that? the only ignorant thing I've seen so far, is you suggesting that other people are ignorant.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 05:44 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,253 Posts
This was really sad. We were supposed to fly to Reno Friday afternoon, land and go then go to the races, although fate interveened and instead we were on lockdown at Davis Monthan AFB due to a "supposed active shooter" on base which ended up being a false alarm. We ended up staying the night in Tuscon since we ran out of crew rest and then flew to Vegas the next night instead of Reno due to the crash. I had a friend who was 30 ft from the impact who dived under the bleachers and got out with only minor injuries. I think if there would have been a fireball on impact, this accident would have been much worse. RIP to the pilot and those who were lost.
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast