Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:58 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,727 Posts
Discussion
Oakdale F-14 Tomcat (90mm)

Hi Tomcat lovers,

I know there has been some interest in the Oakdale F-14. I had, it flew it and crashed it. While I lost most of my pictures on a HD crash I will post what I have and for the guys that have the build in progress ( I know of at least 2) we can share information here.

This is the final flight of my F-14 so we will start there.

Oakdale F-14 EDF.wmv (3 min 25 sec)
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Last edited by Kevin Cox; Sep 16, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:15 PM
Joined Jan 1997
6,727 Posts
My kit arrived with no damage....always a plus. All parts were accounted for, +1. No canopy on mine but I would worry about that after it flew.

The mods that I planned included; moving the fans more aft, main retracts mount through the top and fan access hatchs cut on the bottom.

The controls would be simple tailerons, retracts, nose wheel steering and throttle. The model is designed to have spoilers as well as rudders.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:40 PM
Joined Jan 1997
6,727 Posts
You start off by removing fiberglass in certain areas. The intakes and the spots under the wing glove. This was easy with a Dremel and razor saw.

After cutting the first spot that need attention was the carbon spar material was dipping into the intake area (former) just a bit. Dremel fixed this....outside of course!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:49 PM
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
524 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you have any pics of your swing wing
install?
Flip Flop is online now Find More Posts by Flip Flop
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined Jan 1997
6,727 Posts
This some of the area on the wing cover that gets removed, you can also see the new formers that I added and the space/area that required filling/bondo on the vertical fins. Moving the fans back is not required. I did this based running larger packs....again not required.

Flip Flop I will have look for the pictures on the wings.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:01 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
7,915 Posts
Such a shame, it was flying pretty sweet Kevin!
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 1997
6,727 Posts
Thanks Chris and Dan. I really loved the way it was flying on that last flight...atleast most of it
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:19 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,441 Posts
Kev,

Sorry for the loss...
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:29 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,897 Posts
kevin, cant wait to see the new one shape up!!!!

dan...if i havnt said it 10x before....im in love with your 15!!!!! i wish there was a glass version in that size and scale...love the paint job too
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:31 PM
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
Joined Jan 2004
610 Posts
Wow! That thing was impressive even up to the end. I think the Tomcat has been a tough model to tackle in the R/C world to say the least.
pylot2b is online now Find More Posts by pylot2b
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:35 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,327 Posts
Sorry for the loss of such a nice plane, Kevin. Your video showed how well it flew. I'm a bit apprehensive about having the complication of swing wing. But it is a big part of the F-14.

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Sep 26, 2011, 04:39 AM
Joined Jan 1997
6,727 Posts
Thanks guys.

More pics.

Flip Flop and The Baron asked about the wing sweep/hook up.

I used servos of the torque that was mentioned in the manual. When installed the servo top was almost flush to the deck. I think I made my own blocks to achieve this but I will check it later.

I also bought longer servo arms.

The rods for the wing pivot was standard 4/40 type pushrod cut to length. The threaded end used a ball link eye-let and the other end was bent to something close to 90 degrees.

I then did a test run to make sure it was the right length. Next I sanded the rod, cleaned it and got carbon tubing then filled it with Hysol and pushed the rod through it. This eliminated almost all flexing. The last step was to install a wheel collar at the end that pass through the wing.

I should also point out that I found the electronic sweep control unit a bit troublesome so I removed it after flight #1 and used a 'Y' cord. But in order to use the 'Y' I had to open up one of the sweep servos to get it to run in reverse. I liked this much better.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:52 AM
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,707 Posts
Quote:
dan...if i havnt said it 10x before....im in love with your 15!!!!! i wish there was a glass version in that size and scale...love the paint job too
Hi CN,
Thanks, I like the F-15 too. The F-14 is very close in size which I think is a big plus other than the additional weight.

I like the paint scheme on the F-15 but it's going to be the death of that jet one of these days. I have a no fly rule if it's not sunny out. This was the 3rd year I took the bird to E-Jets and it was cloudy. I put her up anyways because I wanted to get a flight in and it was a constant battle to keep, actually regain orientation. Put in two laps around the field and put her down so I wouldn't make an expensive hole in the ground.

Ken Park got this nice shot at E-Jets
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kennethpark/6140549945/

Dan Eaton
eatond is online now Find More Posts by eatond
Old Sep 26, 2011, 07:41 PM
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Oct 2009
524 Posts
Thanks for the pics Kevin, thats what I wanted to see.
Looks pretty straight forward.
Flip Flop is online now Find More Posts by Flip Flop