HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2011, 05:14 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
Tomorrow night's (Saturday, December 10) indoor fly-in begins at 8:00 pm.
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:01 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
New fly-in rules:

1. 3D maneuvers shall not be allowed to be performed on all helicopters larger than micro helicopters (i.e., Blade MCPX size).

This means no funnels/hurricanes, flips, piro flips, loops, rolls, tic tocs, inverted hovering, inverted forward flight or any other 3D maneuver not mentioned. All helicopter flights shall be performed only in the upright attitude/orientation. I realize a few of you helicopter pilots will disagree with this change; however, this rule is in the best interest for the safety of all pilots and spectators. Violation of this rule will result in verbal warning for the first infraction. A second infraction will result in being asked to leave the fly-in for which the infraction occurred. A third infraction will result in being banned from all remaining fly-ins.

2. Airplanes and helicopters will alternate flying in 15 minute intervals (i.e., airplanes fly for 15 minutes, helicopters fly for 15 minutes, airplanes fly for 15 minutes, helicopters fly for 15 minutesÖand so on.)

All pilots need to be aware of how much time remains in the current flying interval. For example, if there is only a couple of minutes remaining in the current flying interval and you begin your flight, please land before the end of the flying interval. Extending flights past the current flying interval and into the next flying interval will not be tolerated. Pilots need to be prompt and considerable. We all have watches and/or cell phones; therefore, there is no excuse for not knowing the current time.

This change should give the helicopter pilots a little more room in which to fly and of course prevent incidents between airplanes and helicopters, which will almost always result in a destroyed airplane, no matter what type of airplane, and possibly the helicopter. The majority of mid-air incidents have involved 3D airplanes versus other 3D airplanes or 3D airplanes versus micro airplanes. Most of the 3D airplanes are constructed of EPP; therefore, most damage resulting from an incident can be repaired within a few minutes. Of course, micro airplanes such as the ParkZone Vapor, E-flite Ultra Micro 4-Site, E-flite Ultra Micro are not as durable as the EPP 3D airplanes and are much smaller in size and a couple of incidents have resulted in the total loss of the micro airplane. I considered having a 15 minute timeslot for the micro airplanes and a 15 minute timeslot for 3D airplanes and other larger airplanes; however, I decided not to do so because the wait time would be extended to 30 minutes for most pilots because the majority of the pilots are either flying 3D airplanes only, helicopters only or are flying both 3D airplanes and helicopters. The bottom line is that you guys flying 3D airplanes and micro airplanes are going to have to live with flying with each other and work it out. You 3D airplane pilots, including myself, please exercise a little more caution when flying with the micro airplanes and you micro airplane pilots need to exercise caution, as well and accept the risk of losing your entire micro airplane each and every flight. Mid-air incidents are an inherent risk of indoor flying. If you donít want to lose it, then donít fly it...and that goes for all pilots, including those who fly 3D airplanes and helicopters.

3. Cigarette smoking and chewing/smokeless tobacco use is prohibited in the flying facility. Violations of this rule will be result in the same punishment as in Section 1 above.

4. Alcohol and/or illicit drug use is prohibited everywhere on the RoundTripper property, including the parking lot. This is zero tolerance. Whether you've had one sip of a drink or many drinks, if alcohol is smelled on your breath or you are suspected of being under the influence of an illicit drug, you will be asked to leave the property for the evening. If you refuse to leave, I will be more than happy to ask the Westfield police to remove you from the property. A second infraction of this rule will result in being banned from the remaining fly-ins.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
Tomorrow night's (Saturday, December 17) indoor fly-in begins at 8:30 pm.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:35 PM
Joined Jul 2011
382 Posts
Just to make sure, even though you have gone to smaller helicopters, we cannot fly inverted? So those of us who have been using helis like the MCPX to work on our orientations can only work on upright?

450's are still allowed correct with respect to new limitations?
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Dec 17, 2011, 05:08 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
The no-3D rule only applies to helis larger than micro helis. This is clearly noted in Rule #1 above. I also listed the Blade MCPX as an example of a micro heli . So, yes...all orientations and all 3D is allowed on the MCPX.

There is nothing in Rule #1 that states 450 size helis are banned from flying. So yes...450 sizes are still allowed to fly, but only in the upright attitude/orientation. This is also clearly stated in Rule #1.
Last edited by racin06; Dec 17, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:24 PM
Joined Jul 2011
382 Posts
I did read the rule but when I saw it say

Quote:
All helicopter flights ...
to me it meant ALL helicopters....not just 450 class. So I misinterpreted what you were saying
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
Saturday night's (January 7) indoor fly-in begins at 8:00 pm.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
Saturday night's (January 14) indoor fly-in begins at 9:00 pm.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
Saturday night's (January 21) indoor fly-in begins at 9:00 pm.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
Saturday night's (January 28) indoor fly-in beings at 9:00 pm.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
Tonight's indoor fly-in begins at 10:00 pm.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,264 Posts
Due to warm weather being upon us, the two remaining indoor fly-ins are cancelled. The next indoor season will begin around mid-October 2012 and run through the end of February 2013. I will send out an email in September with details/schedule for the next indoor season. Thanks again for participating in and making this another successful indoor flying season.