Old Sep 16, 2011, 02:54 PM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
632 Posts
Build Log
M.I.B/Mystress in Europe, Denmark

Hi guys.

Youll have to have some patince with me....
This is my first major build log on rc-groups. Please dont read the misspelling, just read what you know it means.

When The Builder first mentioned the M.I.B. I whent along and hit the "buy-bottom. In fact I got in as second on the list.

Due to some wierd stuff going on in the US and an extreemly slow postalservice my plane arrived safely after only 1 month of travelling. I gues it swam all the way a cross the little pond.

Heres my best try of making a build log:

First the unveiling. All parts survived the shipping, and thats great considering the Danish postal services rep regarding parcels!
At first glanse the wings, tailfeathers, pod and boom looked allright.
The pod has some small mishabs in the epoxy, but nothing serious. Some pushing and tweaking shows that its stiff enough.
I started with filling out some of the blanks, and will see how it turns out.

Then headed on with the elevator. Made a cut on the opposite site of the livehinge and sanded the open parts to about 45 angle. Put a piece of ordinary tape on the hingeline, just to bee sure.....
Marked out the middle and lined up the pylon for making hardpoints in the elevator. Drilled out the hardpoints by hand with a 4mm drill and stirred up some 30 min epoxy. Put a side and wait.....

Had some left over epoxy so i figured, just as well glue the put and boom. Set a side and wait...

Went on with the wingpanels. They need to get sanded to make a dihideral joint. Used the wingbeds to protect the actual wingpart when sanding. I have raised each tip 55mm. Thats just about the same amount as the Predator 2 wing. That suits me fine, cause Im going to use the P2 wingjig to glue these wings together.
Then I maked out where to locate the servoes in the wing. Just eyeballed a suitable location and marked it out. Cut and dig, and its done! It isnt rocketsience were doing....

Marked up a "that looks OK" aileron and cut the wing. After breaking the new wing, I sanded the aileron part only a little to create a nice groove. Taped the groove on the inside and the hingeline on the outside.....
Did a little measuring and calculating and made a jig to help me make the topdrive channel. I use a sharpened 3mm CF-tube to cut all the channels.

Total building time at this moment 3hrs.
1 wingpanel ready for joining. (All cutting and routing and tunneling done)
Started on second panel. (Dihidral and hardpoint-cutouts made.)
Pod patched with epoxy, and sanded.
Pod and boom joined.
Elevator cut and hinged.
Hardpoints made in tailplane.

Thats all for to day. Tomorrow Im going to a birthday 200k away, so nothing will be done in the shop.....

Take a look at the pictures, and feel free to ask anything..(aout this build that is)

RubSon
RubSon is offline Find More Posts by RubSon
Last edited by RubSon; Sep 21, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:40 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Ruben, Very cool build stuff !!

I had some real issues with bladders for a while. I would have preferred to wait but I wanted to get it out to you. I will make you a new pod if you have any issues.

Paul
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:07 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,687 Posts
Last I knew MIB meant Mystress In Black [all carbon wing]
It had very small spars because the carbon carried the loads like a D-box would.
What are the dimensions of the spar on this Glass Mystress?
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Hey Bud, Folks use MIB and Mystress interchangebly all the time and it matters little to me I am glad folks are enjoying my effort.

That wing is a disser and has a .125 by .030 spar. I have found this spar to be more than enough for any DLG I have built.

Paul
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:14 AM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
632 Posts
Hi Junkyard...

The wing seems more than stiff enough.
Only "ishis"-thing is that extreeme thin airfoil at the tip.
I was planning on putting in a Gavin Trussel- Seagull-peg, but im affraid its to thick!

The plane will mostly be used by my 11yrs son, (ha has been begging for a DLG for a year now), but i hope to get some sticktime on it as well...

RubSon
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
632 Posts
More progress...

Hi...

Got a little more done yesterday.

Both wingpanels has been made ready to join. The joining part was done using my jig from the Predator 2 DLG. Hardpoints made with 30min epoxy and microballons. After curing the joint was sealed with carbonfiber and some finishing epoxy.
Just took the wing out from the jig 30 min ago and every thing is A OK.

Started working on the fuse.
Got all the avionics placed and made a hatch on top of the pod.

Got ready to glue in the Wing retaining nuts and found out I made an error.
I glued the pod and boom to early, so it was impossible to get epoxy into the nuts.
Tool a quick dession and cut a hole above the wingsaddle. This will be used later to make a ballastchamber. The pod is more than rigid enough to support this hole.

Pics says more than words, so here you go.....

More to come, hopefully later to day. But first i have to go to Childsclub at our local community...

RubSon
Old Sep 19, 2011, 04:41 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,412 Posts
Nice to see some build threads. I'll start one tonight, I did 90% of the enclosed top-drive setup on my real (carbon) MIB wing last night, just need to add the control horns, glue the wing halves together and mount it on my existing Kevlar pod.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:38 PM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,650 Posts
I'm suprised the fuse doesn't have a canopy.

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
It does, the piece you cut out goes back in.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:43 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,326 Posts
It does... OK. How does one do a nice job cutting out the access such that the piece can be reused as a canopy? I'm good at grinding out one nice shaped hole but then there would be no piece left for the canopy.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Sep 20, 2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:05 PM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,650 Posts
You could use a 0.01mm blade. Do you have one?

I think it's impossible to have it fit perfectly down. You'd need to tape over it I guess, use a switch jack so that you don't have to ever open it.

My fuses don't really have a canopy, they have a cover that gets taped on. And I use a switch jack. Sorry for the hijack...

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Last edited by sporter; Sep 20, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:38 PM
I have a DLG problem...
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Aug 2011
443 Posts
I can see now that this build is going to take me a LONG time... RubSon thanks for getting this info compiled!

I'm having a hard time getting a grasp on all the various materials and supplies required. Wing joining material (fiberglass cloth or CF cloth or other? correct type of glue/epoxy), carbon pieces to help secure the hatch, pushrod material for ailerons, more cloth material for mounting throwing blade....yikes!

Thanks for your help-

Jason
Scrib is offline Find More Posts by Scrib
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:45 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,326 Posts
Well, you save a little money upfront, you put in a little extra effort in the workshop and you end up with a good flying ship at an affordable price. The side benefit to all of that is you'll be a better model builder when it's all over.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Sep 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,687 Posts
Are the flapperons hinged with tape after cutting them free from the wing?
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Sep 20, 2011, 02:11 PM
Aeromodeller by heart!
Herning, Denmark
Joined Dec 2002
632 Posts
Hi guys...

Got hung up at work to day, so im a little bit busted right now....So no much work in the shed to night!

Scrip: I just used what was in the "pick-y"-box. The most important thing to get hold on is Epoxy. Some 5min or 30min wil do. 30min can be used as finishing epoxy if its thinned with ethanol or headed with a heatgun.
Then youll need som FG. 25gr/sqm or 49gr/sqm both will work. Carboncloth isnt essential but it has a serten BLING-factor.

The carbonpieces I use can easyly be replaced with some thin plywood!

Dont worry just get on with the build......

Junkyard: I choosed to secure the hinges on the bottom side with tape. And its done after cutting them free. Even though you try to be extreemly carefull theres allways a risk of cutting through the bottom layer of glass, so better safe than sorry.
On top of that I faced the hingegab with tape on the upperside. Ive done this before, on a P2, and it took care of some flutterisiues. maybe it isnt nessesary, but I did it anyway...

Have some pictures of the tailplane and spring install, but youll get them tomorrow. Now ill go and perform a 400m sofa-sprint-run in front of the "Stupid-box"!

RubSon