HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:32 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,259 Posts
Discussion
DX8 Slave DX6 Master toggle switch?

Teaching my son to fly a plane. I have the DX6 as master and the DX8 as the slave.
The plane is controlled by the DX6 unless I hold down the spring loaded "trainer" toggle. I would like not to have to hold the toggle button the entire time my son flies the plane (on the DX8.) Can't really do it in reverse becasue I want to be able to "take" control and not have him toggle the trainer toggle to give me control.
Can I "move" this function? Or am I missing something? Tried to set it up opposite (is DX8 master) but it didn't want to work. I'd still have to hold the "trainer" button the whole time, or until I want control.
Must be an easier way?
Thanks!
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:05 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,112 Posts
NOPE, master TX is the tx bound to the plane and the one that needs to hold the trainer button to give control to buddy/slave.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:33 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
NOPE, master TX is the tx bound to the plane and the one that needs to hold the trainer button to give control to buddy/slave.
Correct.

Moreover, it is essential to have the trainer switch set up as a spring-load that you hold it all the time. If the student needs dual instruction, he needs your full attention all the time and you must be able to take over instantly in the event of a problem.

If the student doesn't need such intervention, it's time to unplug the cord and let him go solo. If you then want to take over control for some reason, just have him hand over the transmitter.

I speak from considerable experience as an instructor.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:53 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,259 Posts
Thanks Daedalus66: just the thought of holding that spring loaded switch for 8-9 minutes at a time seems excessive. He has only flown once and only really had trouble steering toward us, to bring it home. Not a problem of crashing but of circling constantly. I've never done the instructor thing, good of you to help out the new guys. I've only been flying since March, but the Champ I bought is a near perfect trainer!
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready