schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:45 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Spoiler Hardware

OK... here we go... I'll post pics with a bit of text. Anything not understood... ask questions...
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
More Spoiler Hardware

And here's all I can do until finished. When the wing is covered and the spoilers are complete, I will silver solder these tubes to the wire and adjust them. I will then cut the tubes flush with the connector so I can push then in and tighten them at the same place each time. No fiddling after that...
Last edited by schrederman; Nov 18, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:08 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
As you can see in the first pic in the series... parts... I'm going to use magnets to hold my spoilers down. I'll finish sand everything, and then sand the spoiler edges for clearance. I'll cover the spoilers, add the little pieces of #11 Exacto blade to the spoiler blades, and then set the magnets. I'll do a few pics when I'm done. I've been using this system for the last 11 years. It works...
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,509 Posts
Slick Trick

Schrederman,
That's a slick trick! Many of us have U control wire around for hot wire cutting. One could modify your set up with a clevis to the in fuse servo and a slightly larger pass through hole. ???

TIP: Magnets from dead LECKY motors are worth keeping for things like this.
ozmo01 is offline Find More Posts by ozmo01
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:44 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
I live not far from the arts & crafts store named Hobby-Lobby. No, not *that* Hobby Lobby, the other one. I was sorely disappointed at first after being out of the hobby for 20 years but I've come to appreciate it in it's own way. They stock 1/8" rare earth magnets that I use for all my hatches and spoilers. Something like $4 for 10 of them so I buy a couple packs at a time and just use them everywhere.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:40 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,386 Posts
I've been saving up a bunch of refrigerator magnets (the one's found on the back of pads). What is great about these is you can cut them with a pair of scissors. They are strong enough where they would hold down a spoiler but light and versatile enough to be placed with little effort.

Just an FYI.

KUrt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
JW-

Thanks for taking the time for the pics, now I see how you do yours. You have an excellent system there and looks totally bullet proof. Your EZ connector fab is brilliant! Nice work , dude!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:33 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Hey Jack. Just found this thread and will subscribe. Thread looks great and is very well done.

Jeff
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 20, 2011, 03:23 PM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,509 Posts
magnet placement question

would you place the magnets just shy of touching the metal plates to avoid to strong of a hold?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmo01 View Post
would you place the magnets just shy of touching the metal plates to avoid to strong of a hold?
Yes, I'll place a piece of card stock between the piece of steel and the magnet while the glue sets. I'll post pics instead of typing so much...
Old Nov 20, 2011, 08:07 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,148 Posts
Cool ,I have been looking for a good way to rig my spoilers on my crimson,Very clean, and serviceable.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:47 AM
USA, MO, Ozark
Joined Nov 2006
1,509 Posts
So much lighter than 2 servos and it keeps the tips lighter.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 02:32 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
On the 1/8" rare earth magnets I just use a V of .030 music wire CA'ed to the spoiler and my servos have zero problem pushing that up. On my Soph. Lady I used E-Flite S60's (I had them already) and on my Chrysalis I used HS-55's. One per spoiler.

Quote:
So much lighter than 2 servos and it keeps the tips lighter.
True but these micro servos are smaller, lighter and more consistent than the 'standard' size servos I grew up with. I think I could deal with the extra 15g if I wanted to use discrete servos for spoilers. That said, I think I'm going to use Jack's method on my next model which I just started gluing together a few hours ago.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:39 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,822 Posts
I'm in Bedford helping my son do some remodeling... I'll be visiting Lone Star Balsa tomorrow of Friday to pick up some badly needed sheeting for some Winter projects. I need to get my Journey done for SWC, first. Then I have a Legionair 132 and some other stuff... and a secret project...