Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 15, 2011, 08:36 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Kinda like Frick and Frack... uuhhhh.... which one's Frack?
That'd be me...
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:04 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborflyer View Post
will be interesting to see how the two bay spoilers work out. seem a bit short.
ross
So are the wings... Oh... did I say that out loud!?!? Seriously, they are 1" tall and for my flying style, most models are over-spoiled... I can always add a bay later if I feel the need. A little balsa and Monokote and I'll be good to go.

JW
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:18 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
Yes, I intentionally made the wings 2 meters. I would have loved to make them 3 or better yet 4 meters but my computer screen is only so wide.

The two Duets I built were spoilerless. Never had a reason to add them really. I find it funny that if you have a design without spoilers or flaps people are worried how they will get down from a thermal when it takes them to high. In reality you should be worrying abut how to get into a thermal that will take you too high. You spend less time in big lift than you do in sink or neutral air. At least in my experience.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Nov 16, 2011, 10:42 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
It's pretty cold here, today, and supposed to be very windy for 3 days beginning tomorrow. However with the temperature rising, I'll be beginning my sanding schedule tomorrow evening. I will finish sand the wings after fitting the wing to the fuselage. I'll sand the tails out and finish sand the fuselage. I am planning to glass the nose area for those "landings"... but tonight, I'll be fitting the servos and spoilers... Pics with progress, especially of the spoliers...

I hope to make the first flights in a week or so.

Jack
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:41 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
On my prototypes I glassed the whole fuselage with 3/4 oz glass and water based polyurethane. I used a water based RC car body paint to add some color. Added little weight but was very durable. Seeing as Jack is using Monokote, glassing the nose is all you should need.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:54 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
... but tonight, I'll be fitting the servos and spoilers... Pics with progress, especially of the spoliers...
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
OK, Popcorn Breath... here we go...

I didn't get quite as much done as I wanted but there is some progress. I cut the spoilers out and fit them tightly into the wings. Yes, tightly... and they're marked for left and right. Installed in the wing, they won't move around when sanded, so they can conform to the airfoil rather than be a flat spot. Next, the center of pull gets marked on the botton of the spoiler blades, and the slots get cut out for the control horns... in my case a couple of pieces of an old servo arm. They MUST be the same height and at the same angle for your spoiler geometry to be equal. Remember they are pulled from one point. No sweat... it's easy to do. Note that my spoilers are set back 1/4" from the spar because I like to slant my control arms forward, slightly. That makes it easier to get 90-degrees deflection.

That's about all I got done besides working out the final radio layout... see the pics for clarification... or ask questions if you like...

For whatever reason... AT&T Wireless is slower than dial-up so I'll have to post from work in the morning... ... sorry...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:20 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Servos

Here's the radio layout... If I use a switch, and I usually don't, it will go where it's shown but on a plywood platform...
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Excellent, Jack, this is exactly how I fit my Oly and you just affirmed my approach. I did the same side-mount servo on my Spirit, pulls from one point. I like the hell out of your channel tube for the cables...you rock! Thanks for the pics, can't wait to see the terminations on the cables.

-Popcorn Breath
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:44 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Well... hopefully I'll get a lot done this Saturday. We're leaving for vacation Sunday, just as the wind dies... and I won't be back until next Monday. I'll get as much done as possible... Maybe even get to the ready-to-cover stage...
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:53 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,350 Posts
So Jack, what do you have in mind for covering? What color scheme? It would be a shame to hide that framework with an opaque covering. Just wondering.

Kurt
ps. Can't wait to your maiden....
kzimmerm is online now Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:12 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,107 Posts
Do a TDF "King of the Mountains" jersy color scheme.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Kurt,

Back a few threads is a pic of my old BoT... that's the color scheme I'll be using...
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:57 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,350 Posts
Great choice Jack... I like the Cream often times instead of white. Here is a picture of a Cream/Red/Orange GL I built a long time ago and did a face-lift on. However instead of using chrome, I found gold metallic for trim. Still get the flash like the chrome, but I think it makes it look a bit richer!

Kurt
kzimmerm is online now Find More Posts by kzimmerm