HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:38 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
Well, all the wetting, twisting, heating, etc. had little effect. I split the fuselage bottom with a razor blade and clamped it between straight edges. I CA glued it and it stayed straight. I have joined the sides to the fuselage bottom and so far, I have an arrow-straight fuselage. Pictures tonight...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:58 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,679 Posts
I was afraid that if it did get straight that over time it would just go back to crooked. Best to do what you did or make new pieces.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,068 Posts
Jack,

With your meticulous building & care, why do you think it still bowed? Any way to totally eliminate the possibility of this happening?

Do you think that maybe it was it taken out of jig to soon, before the glue had a chance to fully dry, cure, & do it's thing? Had the wood not fully acclimated to building temp before glue-up? Was there to great a change in temp & RH during the glue-up? Gremlins?
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:10 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
When trees grow, there are internal stresses that grow into the wood. When cut, these stresses often show up as warps, cupped boards, and bowed wood. There's no way to predict what will happen when you start cutting, and thereby relieving the stresses that held it straight. I bought a 12' piece of cedar 1 X 12 recently and ripped 2.25" off to get the width I actually needed. It immediately bowed about 6" over it's length. In that satate, it was unusable. I took it back to Lowe's and they exchanged it.

I often trim my sheeting straight before I try to use it. When these pieces were cut from the straight sheet... they bowed. That isn't something the kit manufacturer can control, so we deal with it as we can, as builders. I have had pieces that I've straightened that stayed straight for years... and others that warped back to their original bow within an hour... The fuselage bottom stayed straight for about a half day, and then went back to it's natural state. that's why I split and glued it. The end product will be straight until I re-kit the model...
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:58 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,068 Posts
Thanks Jack,

I know that wood can change due to temp & RH changes, but figured that once the wood had acclimated to the environment, it would be relatively stable. I didn't know that you had trimmed the sheet before use, which apparently released the gremlins. Ouch.
SHVentus is online now Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:22 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,679 Posts
Yes wood is similar to foam. Sometimes when you hot wire foam it will warp because of the internal stress being released. A sheet of wood is sometimes not consistant across the sheet. A part may be softer in one place than another so when it is laser cut it might bend. As a kit maker or laser parts supplier you are at the mercy of mother nature.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 01:39 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,911 Posts
I think you should get Chuck Norris to look at the wood. That should do it...
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Last edited by Up&Away; Nov 03, 2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Added smiley, just in case someone would think I was serious...
Old Nov 04, 2011, 12:09 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Beautiful, Jack...straight as a string....
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:26 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,449 Posts
Is that tow hook included in the kit? If it's not the one from Esprit I must know where it was sourced so I can get some.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:30 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,679 Posts
I have them on my website. I am currently out of stock but will have more in about a week.

The Esprit one is made for curved bottom fuselages. My hope is to include it with the kit. At least in the beginning. My cost is higher than I'd like and I'm trying to keep the kit cost down. Also you never know if or when my supplier may stop handling them.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 08:33 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,679 Posts
They come with a ply plate included. I think Jack used it. My thought was not to include the plate and have worked things out so that all should fit.

Jack, Do you think if the 1/8" ply plate incises with the hook were not used would it stick out to far or would it be better not to use the 1/64" plate I have in my laser cut parts?

This was a last minute change and I did not have a chance to try it except for eyeballing the part and plans.

Mark
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:00 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
I like the hook the way I have it. I had to turn the screw head down by chucking the threads into my drill press and running a file against it. Without the 1/8" ply plate it would be too long. I guess if the vertical shaft was threaded a little further down, it would be fine without the plate.

Had other things pop up this weekend and didn't get to work on the Duet... Back at it tonight. I'm still debating installing spoilers... and whether to do my traditional single servo setup or 2 servos in the wing... decisions... decisions...
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
Push Rods

Well, I am installing one pushrod for the camera. Sometimes if I'm in a hurry I'll do them both but I like to try to keep it set so I don't have sagging epoxy.

The outer is inner Nyrod and the push rod is .060 carbon fiber. Because this is a bit of an odd combo, the bends have to be kept to bare minimum, but it still needs to be supported well. The exit is cut out about 1" long at the width of the tube, and then tapered at the ends with a 5/32" diameter round file... The rest is hopefully self explanatory...
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:58 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
I'll do the other pushrod tomorrow evening and close the aft fuselage. The next round of pics will be of doing the rest of the wing. I'll be adding spoilers but they will be driven from one servo in the nose. I'll be adding the poly-joint ribs and completing the joiner installations, soon... But... weather permitting, I'm taking Friday off to maiden my Xplorer, and going to a contest Saturday ober in Albuquerque... weather permitting... If it's bad, the Duet may be totally finished in the frame-up stage... we'll see...