Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:30 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHSoars View Post
Jack:

I'm late joining this thread. What did you make you yellow colored templates of way back in the post in the quote?

- Jim
Jim,

I made it out of PC board material. Plywood would work just fine.
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:56 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
420 Posts
Nice Gams uh Clamps

Jack,
these clamps look bigger than the little ones I have and smaller than the big ones I can get. And just right said the little blond girl.
Please share where you got them.
- Jim

JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:18 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
Got the clamps at Harbor Freight for just about nothin'!

So... let's try again... Hopefully I can upload pics...

We'll try some more in a few minutes... that went as planned...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
Fuselage

OK... let's start the fuselage. Fuselages like this one are best built in assemblies. I have the sides joined, the doublers applied, and the bulkheads glued to one side. I have the fuselage top and bottom pieces joined and the triangle stock glued to them. I have also added the doublers for the wing saddle area.

A word about bananas...... if you don't build this straight, that's what you'll have instead of a fuselage... a banana...

If I just glued mine up right now, That's what I'd have. That nice piece of wood that was the aft bottom of the fuselage is warped. I'll be pinning it down wet with a bit of opposite warp in it so that in a couple of days, it will spring back straight when I unpin it. If that doesn't work, I'll split the bottom with a single-edged razor blade (because it's the thinnest blade I have) and straighten it. I'll glue it straight with this CA while it's between 2 good straight edges. Either way, I'm gonna have a straight model.

This is a natural thing and not the fault of the kit manufacturer, so if yours comes this way, don't send Mark any hate mail... even if you're a Texan and he's in St. Louis...

Anyway, the fuselage is straight forward and I won't spend a lot of time on it. However, before I button it up, I'll be adding the pushrods to the tail.

Here's a few pics to maybe bring out a few questions.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:57 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
More Fuselage Stuff

I'm going to be using .060 cf pushrods. These will be installed before I close the top of the fuselage. Here are a few more fuselage pics... Didn't take long to totally mess my work area, but then, I have a woody project and 2 moldie builds going...

I figgered my OFB Gerald would be commenting on the now DISorganized space, but he's being quiet...

Darth Short Wang.... I mean... WING!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
More tomorrow... Dee Dee's off in San Antonio playing Grammy so I can get away with workin' on my stuff... as long as I'll doggie sit...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:15 PM
United States, KS, De Soto
Joined Aug 2004
739 Posts
Hey Darth, You were missed at the T.N.T.
jfrickie is offline Find More Posts by jfrickie
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:17 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickie View Post
Hey Darth, You were missed at the T.N.T.
What that Champ said....+1
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
First time I've missed in a long time... Thanks for the thoughts, gents!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:32 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2003
539 Posts
Jack, I made the TNT all the way from Indiana. Maybe Indianapolis is closer to Dallas than Amarillo !
Gibson
Hoot is offline Find More Posts by Hoot
Old Oct 30, 2011, 06:15 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Well, Texas really is a pretty big state.

I had Norwegian roommates from college that were trekking across country. They crossed into Texas at El Paso and called to say they'd see me that afternoon. After I stopped laughing I told them they still had a 10 hour drive ahead of them.

All kidding aside, I understand Jack had his plate full and simply couldn't make it. Heck, I had my plate full and couldn't make it either and I live literally 10 miles from Southfork. It did make me sad though.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:44 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
Hoot... I had to be in California Monday, and had a presentation to prepare for it over the weekend. I REALLY wanted to be there. I've missed every competition this year... like I'm on injured reserve or something... Next year promises to be very busy again, but I just turned 60... and get 5 weeks vacation next year... my attitude is changing FAST!!!
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
Fuselage parts are still a bit crooked... and I have been cheating...... Did my aileron servos in my Xploder 3.7 last night...
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:32 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
Jack,

Let me know what parts look crooked and I'll check the drawing to see if it is my laser file or not. Wood I can't do much about but the drawings I can.

Mark
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,748 Posts
They're straight on my drawings... It's the aft fuselage bottom and the aft fuselage top... best I can tell, it's just the wood. My dampening and pinning techniques are working, but it's a slow process. I may break out the heat gun tonight so I can get on with it... I've bent wood before...

Darth Guitar Maker...