HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:51 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
397 Posts
Mark, kit arrived yesterday! Great wood, plans, and kit! Can NOT wait to get started!!!
Thanks,
Allen
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:28 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebusflyer View Post
Mark, kit arrived yesterday! Great wood, plans, and kit! Can NOT wait to get started!!!
Thanks,
Allen
Well, Amigo... don't wait!

I can't wait to get this LAST move over with and start flying mine again...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:48 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
Yesterday, you should have it half put together! Looking forward to seeing it come together.
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
397 Posts
My current problem is working out a place to build! We just moved in January, the garage is WAY too hot and the esposa is not interested in me dusting up one of the bedrooms!
So, a solution will come to me soon!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
397 Posts
Hey Jack, always look forward to hearing about your building and flying! Your Duet Beta build was an inspiration to me, not to mention the flight report. First 2 meter I've built in a long while.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:29 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
My dad installed a mini-split A/C in the up-stairs office at their house. The room is pretty small, about 200 sq ft but that little unit cools the room in no time flat. He leaves it off any time he's not up there and turns it on about 5 minutes before he starts working in it. Works a charm! I'm planning on "selling" my other half on one of those for the garage when I start banging on my hot-rod.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
397 Posts
A small unit like that for a garage? Are you talking about a single or double car? We have a double car garage, and right now it's 108 in there! I've been wondering about a small portable on wheels, and setting it next to me. I just don't know if it would work very well. Any thoughts from you other very thoughtful guys and gals out there? I don't really want to hang a big AC in the garage window either!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,729 Posts
I use a R2D2 type AC unit in my three car garage when I need to. It takes awhile to cool it down and you need to empty the water tank often. one wall and the door side are not insulated so it's a big electric hog but it is needed. I do not do hobby stuff there except for car and motorcycle repairs.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebusflyer View Post
A small unit like that for a garage? Are you talking about a single or double car? We have a double car garage, and right now it's 108 in there! I've been wondering about a small portable on wheels, and setting it next to me. I just don't know if it would work very well. Any thoughts from you other very thoughtful guys and gals out there? I don't really want to hang a big AC in the garage window either!
Properly sized and correctly insulated there shouldn't be any problem. They're designed for on-demand room cooling. If your garage is 108F you may want to concentrate on attic space first, ventilation makes a huge difference. Our garage is south-facing and even without A/C in the garage its bearable for short bursts, say to cut or drill a few pieces of metal or hard wood. Foam blocks over the garage door panels help a lot. We're north of just Dallas so 100F+ isn't unfamiliar. Portable spot-coolers seem reasonable as well and give you a bit more flexibility. A 2x10 with strategically placed holes for outlet also seems to work well. Foam padding on top and bottom with appropriate trough to match the bottom of the garage door keeps the hot side hot and the cold side cooler.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Feb 2010
87 Posts
Mark,

Just a quick clarification on the center panel joiner....The front and back ply doubler on the spars is clear. Between the spars is there a shear web in this area? If so, if the space filled with epoxy as in the outer panel joiner break?

Additionally, it appears the front half of the ribs need to be slotted to slide in the ply joiner against the spars.....

Please confirm when you have a moment.

Regards,

Gordon
gordonnora is offline Find More Posts by gordonnora
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,729 Posts
Gordon,

There should be 3/16" shear web that goes between all of the ribs in the center panel except for the joiner boxes where the tips plug in. You can put some epoxy to fill the 1/32" gap. Or you can add a 1/16" piece of balsa to fill the gap. In the full production kits the shear webs will be full width (1/4") where the ply joiners are.

Yes, You will need to slot the ribs for the doubler to slide in. Production kits will have the rib pre cut.

Mark
Last edited by Mark Miller; Sep 01, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:35 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,685 Posts
Communication sent- I have need of success!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,729 Posts
I just got 6 sets of what should be the final production parts. A few details have changed. I no longer have a laser cut laminated nose or wing tip blocks. I was trying to lower the cost of the laser parts but in the end that didn't help. not sure why. It will take me a bit to get the kits complete. I should have them on my site this weekend.

BTW I am now a dealer for Graupner. Lots of cool stuff. Look around on my site...

Mark Miller
www.isthmusmodels.com
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:43 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Thanks for the update Mark! I know many of us are anxious for you to get everything sorted out.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,729 Posts
OK it's on the site. Look under Models/Sailplanes. I have 6 parts sets but have to put them in the box as orders come in.

Mark
www.isthmusmodels.com