HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:11 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
716 Posts
I have to ask

Nice job, Ross. My question: how does it compare with the 2M Gnome of years gone by?
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:31 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
384 Posts
Jim,
Thinner airfoil, flies faster on step, more sensitive, might be vision now on 2.4.Lands faster,
seems more like a "grass" model, our field is HARD dirt, as seen on vid. Don't want to "poke" it in, hope to try it on a grass field soon. Have no trouble thermaling it.

ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Feb 2010
54 Posts
Duet Beta build

Jack,

I was lucky enough to receive one of Mark's early kit runs....It arrived this week and I'll be starting the build this weekend.

A few quick questions for you....On the fuselage when laminating the inner ply to the fuse side, it looks like these are glued flat on the board. Any problem with pulling in the nose once the two pieces are laminated, or did you build in a slight curve during the glue up of each side?

Was any reinforcement needed on the fin? I didn't see any triangle at the base of your fin, but the laser cutting is so precise, maybe none are needed...

I appreciate your thoughts...

Gordon
gordonnora is online now Find More Posts by gordonnora
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined Nov 2003
1,292 Posts
Hi Mark,
I was wondering what airfoil you have on the Duet?
Thanks,
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:08 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,680 Posts
Ray,

I think if you go to post #172 in this thread you will see that the airfoil is propriatary being designed by my club mate Tony Estep. We compared it to the Bubble Dancer foil and it is up to 10% less drag in normal flight speeds. It was designed as a RES airfoil but I decided to test it on a smaller plane first.

Mark
Mark Miller is online now Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,292 Posts
Thanks Mark!
Ray
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:22 AM
Joined Jul 2010
384 Posts
gordonnora,
The ply doubler has no effect as you pull both sides together front and rear.
I cheated with triangle pieces on stab and rudder, as i fly on rough dirt field, look at flight pics.
Model would probably be OK without, but I am not the easiest on contest models.
Mark's thoughts on a 3m version sounds real enticing to me, moments seem very good, and airfoil seems to be ideal. I would love to build one, HINT, HINT !

ross
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,680 Posts
I have played with a 3 meter. Maybe wood pod and carbon boom deal but who knows. Seeing as it is now over three years since the Duet was first drawn and it still is not readily available we first have to make that final step. Regarding that I have ordered the boxes. Custom size telescoping tray (meaning a regular box with a top and bottom). Not that much different than a stock size box. Made two final change to the laser cut parts. I adde some positive decalage in the stab mount. Then I also I decided to not include the laser cut laminated nose or wing tip blocks. I'll include regular wood blocks instead. This in an effort to lower the laser parts price. As I have stated before I have always been amazed that the parts for the Duet cost more than the parts for the Mirage or Mini Bird of Time. They have laser cut nose blocks and tips. I'm not sure where I am seeing the difference. The price is time and materials so if I can lower the time it takes to cut them the price goes down.

So within the next two weeks I should have some production kits ready to ship.

This has been a fun project. It took much longer than I would have ever thought and many details needed to be resolved. It did help me get through my 14 month unemployment back in 2008-2009. Thanks to all who have been involved and shown interest and offered input.

Anyway onwards and upwards.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:33 AM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Feb 2010
54 Posts
Thanks Ross....

I layed up both sides of the fuselage last night, and hope to get the it together this week.

Talk to you soon.

Gordon
gordonnora is online now Find More Posts by gordonnora
Old Jul 15, 2012, 01:23 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,450 Posts
It always helps to have something to keep your mind sharp if you're between jobs. Thankfully those times have been few and far between for me. I still have plenty of interest in the Duet but I'm also very, very interested in a 3M ship like the BD-EZ or something along those lines. I know my current lust for the BoT will wane once I've flown it in wind a few times but it sure is pretty.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Jul 2010
384 Posts
If Mark's 2m Duet is any indication, a 3m version should work well in windy weather !

Ross
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,292 Posts
Hi Mark and Gang,
I had a couple of questions on the Duet:
What is the flying weight?
How do you think it compares to a Chrysalis?
Are the kits available and what is the price?
Would an airfoil for designed a 3m work as well on a 2m given the different Reynolds No?
Thanks,
Ray
Old Jul 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,680 Posts
Ray,

Look back through this thread and the other thread that I did on the Duet build. The weights are in there. I forget exactly.

Both are great flying planes. I have not owned a Crysalis but have flown one and it was good. Plus I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

I am making an order for the first real kit run this evening. I have boxes coming and the plans and instructions have been updated. Price will be around $100 but I'm waiting the final price on the new laser cut parts set. That is the major cost of the kit.

The chord of the Duet is pretty big so I'm not sure the reynolds numbers will differe enough to cause issues. You could say the same thing about any airfoil out there commonly used. Most are shared among differing size planes.
Last edited by Mark Miller; Jul 29, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,292 Posts
thanks Mark!
Ray
Old Jul 28, 2012, 11:04 PM
Joined Jul 2010
384 Posts
gordonnora,
Any build progress ??