HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:42 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
Now all you have to do is to train everyone here on RCGroups to answer "Mark Miller Duet" to all those "which beginner kit should I build" threads. Based off of yours and Jack's flight reports I know I will be recommending it to the local pilots I interact with.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Last edited by Windependence; Jan 21, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:34 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,496 Posts
I don't think the Duet would be a good first model but certainly would be a great second model. The only reason I say that is because of the under-camber on the wing. That will present a challenge to a novice builder but someone with a build or two under their belt should be able to tackle that with confidence. I'll be adding one to my quiver for sure though.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:54 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,704 Posts
Well I got the first 5 sets of parts and I have to say that I am most disappointed. Either my laser cutting guy is having issues or my file is all messed up. Lines are split and moved off to the side a bit on some parts. Some curves are very wavy. I will work with him to see if we can find the problem but if we find it is a problem with my file I am out a chunk of money. I have been busier at work this week than ever and so have not had time to address this. Sorry guys. It's going to take a bit longer. I'll probably use them to make a few for myself but I surely can't put them in a kit.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:34 AM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Bumpies on arc cuts, on any CNC gear, are usually due to servo amp tuning issues or binding ways. I doubt very seriously if it's your files.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:23 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,704 Posts
My cuter is recutting the sheets that I cannot use. Good to have a vendor that will stand behind their work.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:14 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
who Rah.... the only kind to use... things/stuff/& murphys law happen, it good to know that there are a lot of businesses & people recognize it an act upon it...
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,743 Posts
Duet will be at the SWC... but I'm only flying in open and RES... I have tried to fly 3 classes in the past and it's too difficult, without a non-flying timer dedicated only to yourself... But, if my eyes don't clear up enough to finish my Journey, I'll be flying 2-meter instead of RES... eye infections suck!
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 15, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,296 Posts
Hi Mark,
Is the Duet available yet? Also what is the cost flying weight?
Thanks,
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Feb 15, 2012, 06:06 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Duet will be at the SWC... but I'm only flying in open and RES... I have tried to fly 3 classes in the past and it's too difficult, without a non-flying timer dedicated only to yourself... But, if my eyes don't clear up enough to finish my Journey, I'll be flying 2-meter instead of RES... eye infections suck!
Hey Jack.... I'd be more than happy to act as a dedicated timer for you next year. That way you can run yourself ragged flying three classes. Would be a good chance for me to learn some things from you as well as see if I'd be interested in flying some contests
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:07 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,704 Posts
Guys,

Here is where I am at. As you know I got 5 sets of parts and some of the sheets were unusable. I had them recut the bad sheets and so I have 5 sets of reasonable parts. Not what I would call excellent but usable. I am looking for a new laser cutter but so far none of the three places I have contacted have replied. It takes a special place to cut some of this stuff. I have some thick sheets which take a more powerful laser than most places have. Of course I could go to machine cut parts for this stuff but I'm trying to do as little work myself as I'm out of a lot of spare time and I hate for myself to be the hold up.

Anyway, I have 5 kits that should be ready this weekend. I'll pick 5 random names from my list and we will sell them.

Cost will be $95.00 each for these first 5 kits. As for weight that depends. Mine without spoilers was 27 ounces as I recall. Jacks with spoilers was like 32 if I remember form earlier in this thread.

Mark
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,743 Posts
Actually... mine with spoilers is at 29 oz. I will be flying it at SWC. I believe I will be changing classes from RES to 2M because I destroyed the Journey center section...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,218 Posts
What?
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:38 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Actually... mine with spoilers is at 29 oz. I will be flying it at SWC. I believe I will be changing classes from RES to 2M because I destroyed the Journey center section...
Care to share any Details....
Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Journey destruction. Good luck in the 2 meter class, it will be fun to see how the Duet does against other 2 meter planes in the hands of an experienced pilot. Keep us posted.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:28 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,743 Posts
The Journey is not totally destroyed. Some dumb guy got frustrated when he busted the flap servo loose in his Xploder, and decided to maiden his new RES ship on monofilament line... and fluttered the wing. The center section was basically shredded, but the rest is unscathed. I got 9:57 on time and 97 landing points on the maiden flight... ... I have ribs... so in a month or two, she'll be goin' again...

The Duet goes into SWC competition tomorrow... I've never flown 2-meter competitively. I'm looking forward to it... whether friends let friends or not