HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:04 PM
Joined Nov 2004
54 Posts
With reference to cutting notches into the trailing edge: A long time ago I had to cut them on the TE of a Paragon. I taped three 32 tooth hacksaw blades together and CAed spruce stripes along the sides for depth control. The three thin hacksaw blades made a 0.093 in. width kerf which was perfect for 3/32 ribs.
Experiment with the blades and you will find an exact fit.

Andy
varoman1 is offline Find More Posts by varoman1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
Thanks, Andy... That works well and I have done that in the past. I will probably pick up some hack saw blades and do that for the center section.

Delores is leaving for a week, so I won't be bothered with honey-dos. There will be a set of wings built Saturday...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:10 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
931 Posts
Isthmus Duet Beta???

Just curious and sorta confused, I looked on the Isthmus website and did not see this plane in it's list of model kits, does Isthmus sell this kit or is someone else cutting and selling a discontinued design?

Thanks-Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:23 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
This being a beta build... it's new and not yet released...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
Progress

I have begun the build... The wing will be th emost labor intensive portion and this one is really pretty easy. I have all 4 panels partially framed. When I laid them out... I thought something was missing...

OK... all BS aside... it's going well and I'll post and caption some pictures...
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:06 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
Pictures

OK, my progress for the day... actually this took about 4 hours...

Beginners take note, please. As we go through these sequenses, look at the parts and the fit of the joints. If a part doesn't fit, please make another and get it right. Also note the lack of gobs of glue. It belongs between the wood pieces. It's impossible to keep it there totally, but the ooze can, and should be scraped off. This is especially true where another part has to be fit later. A little blob of hard glue sure can make it hard to fit that part correctly.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:25 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
Look at the joints in these pics... Not bragging, just trying to provide some real guidance as requested. Also, check the ribs as they are added to be sure they are upright and pin them in place, or brace them some way to get some glue pressure for at least 30 minutes.

My PC and ISP are not getting along... so these pics are not uploading but 1 at a time...
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:27 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
Trailing Edges...

I noticed on the box label that there was a bit of a disclaimer... For Intermediate Builders/Flyers... I have discovered the reason for that. The trailing edges are THIN! But it's no problem. They just have to be thinned with a jack plane and a good sanding block. Care must be taken to keep from crowning them... ie. not having a thick area in the middle running span-wise.

Here are a few pics to keep me from typing all night...
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:35 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
Fit

Again, some advise for beginners... make sure the parts fit! This is a laser-cut kit and the parts are fitting nicely. That will not always be the case. I've posted one more pic here for an example of how your build should look... again not to brag... but to offer guidance...
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
So far, I have the tip panels framed completely, and the main panels famed to the point where they must be joined before I proceed, and all in about 6 hours or so... I went flying today and had a 41-minute ride from a hand launch with my Bantam... or I would be further along... sorry...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:20 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
There won't be much progress in the next couple of weeks. Sadly, my wife's cousin passed away so I'll be out of town beginning Wednesday... and out of town all next week for a staff meeting... boring...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:05 PM
no points for speed
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Oct 2009
22 Posts
"...a 41-minute ride from a hand launch..."
Not to brag.

Have you glued everything with Titebond II so far, or are you using some other glues as well?
And do you thin it at all?
bradley2j is offline Find More Posts by bradley2j
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:48 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
I am using Titebond on everything and it is thinned with distilled water at a 2 parts glue to 1 part water. I have used a little CA but so far, only gluing the ribs to the bottom sheeting. It's just more convenient... and I'm lazy...
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,761 Posts
I have to recant a bit. I'm not going to the funeral so I'll be getting to do a lot on Thursday and Friday. I'll be building on this, and my 2 moldies while waiting for glue to dry.