HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:12 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Well, there was about 2" of snow on the ground, and it was melting, and sloppy, but I couldn't resist the temptation for the first hand toss. The wind was coming in from the south at about 8 mph and it was colder'n a well digger's arse, but out to the front yard I went. Not knowing what to expect, I went all the way to the north side of the yard so I'd have plenty of room to abort. That gave me about 250' of clear area for the toss. And so... toss her I did. It's about 180' to the driveway and the first toss required the use of spoilers to keep it in the snow, and off the gravel. It did the exact thing on the next 2 tosses, so, no flukes there. The seemingly short spoilers ARE effective...

It looks like the weather here may cooperate this weekend, so the first launches may occur on Saturday. From what I can tell, Mark's comment about this one flying like a larger model are right on...
Jack... there is something about that thrill you managed to capture here in your post that never leaves you. I have gotten that thrill with every plane I've ever built, be it the latest and greatest moldie or a peanut scale rubber power something or other... that thrill is the same. Just one more thing to always look forward towards the end of a build session.

Sounds like you got a winner Jack.
HNY;
Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:20 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
One thing about the Duet. To get the best out of it you need to be in lift. Unusual I know, but that is the way I designed it.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:37 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Will maiden tomorrow if the weather is as nice as promised by the weather liars...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:54 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,406 Posts
Hi Jack,

I am looking forward to your flight reports. I have been watching this design since its early discussion phase. It is my sincere hope that the Duet can become a plane I can recommend to pilots as a first sailplane. As to tomorrows maiden, just remember to tap the winch. You've been flying bigger, stronger beasts lately and I would hate to have your first and only report go something like this: "Well it launched very straight but the wings peeled off after I stomped down on the winch pedal." I have no doubt that your 2 meter flying skills will come back to you quickly. Best of luck.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:19 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
Well here in St. Louis it is cloudy...chance of showers and 22 mph winds. Tomorrow the wind will be down and pleasant. I have nothing to maiden but hopefully the weather that is predicted here will be in TX also.

I'll hopefully be finishing the manual today and that will be it other than going over the material list closer to have less waste. It's been a long journey on this design but worth it.

Wayne I have had some inquieries from a few clubs about using it as a suggested beginner plane or a winter club build. It would be good for either. One concern is the price of the laser parts. They cost a good deal more than the parts for the Mirage. Some of that might be the engraving I am doing for suggested spoiler cut outs. That takes time and since you are paying for laser time and wood taking them out would lower the cost.

Anyway I'm already thinking of the next project. I have an idea for a new RES design using this same airfoil. We start our contest season in March here so I need to get cracking.

Best of luck Jack and Thanks for all your work.

Mark
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:37 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
Oh NO!!! I have NO 2-meter flying skills... This is my first 2-meter...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Oh NO!!! I have NO 2-meter flying skills... This is my first 2-meter...
Hehe... Here I am busting your chops and I haven't even actually met you. I just have this cartoon bubble in my head of you out at the field putting the Duet together and asking yourself "Did I leave a wing at home? Where is the rest of it?". Oh wait, you live in Texas, you probably drive something big enough where you can take the Duet to the field fully assembled.

Note to self, quit picking on Jack, he's probably packing a gun.

OK I'll stop now. Seriously though, Good luck with the maiden.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:59 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
Remember Jack...Not everything in Texas needs to be bigger.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:18 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
I'm out to prove that with my 2M. I expect to be adding a Duet to my 2M fleet after I finish my BoT. I think 3M is about my practical limit though. If a real BoT flies anything like it does in the simulator I doubt I'll need anything larger than 3M. At least until Mark designs one that I absolutely can't live without.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:11 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
I quit carrying a gun when I got to where I could kill a man with my hands...

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:00 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,511 Posts
That's only if'ns ya can catch me!
Good Hopes to Ya Jack!
Captain Canardly is online now Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:54 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,096 Posts
Size matters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacquerhead View Post
...I think 3M is about my practical limit though...
I remember when 2M seemed big, then 3M was huge, Now my 3.4 M supra is on the small side...

Me likey wingspan

Dan in Dallas
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:50 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,500 Posts
Jimmy Mac was out at 407 with his boys today while I was trying to get my Chrysalis 2M dialed and and generally goofing around. First thing he said when I told him I had a BoT on the board was "you gotta stretch it!" LOL

If it flies 80% as well in real life as it does in the simulators then I'll be OK for now. When Mark finishes his next Big Wood project I'll definitely build one to replace the BoT. The BoT is 90% to fulfill childhood dreams but I'll get the most I can out of it of course. Mark's next project promises to be a really big hoot.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:11 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,096 Posts
I just missed you, threw the Blaster maybe 5 times over an hour, it was a banging day!
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jan 01, 2012, 01:27 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
How was the weather in TX yesterday? It was gorgeous here in Missouri. I didn't maiden anything but flew my Tragi 801, Soprano and Rogue off of a F3J winch setup.

Mark Miller