SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:48 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzimmerm View Post
I'm with you. IMHO all you really need is a reference of basic sequencing. Leave the detailed stuff up to the builder.

The more experienced builder is probable is not going to use it or may simply glance at it.

Reminds me of a German kit I built a few years age. No English instructions at all. Built it with no issues at all.

And a less experienced builder could always ask questions here.... and probably get bombarded with more advice than he bargained for!
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Didn't do much this weekend, but I sanded some yesterday. It's too cold here to work out in the garage, much. I need to do a little more sanding and I'll cover it in the kitchen...

As to instructions, I'm way more visual than I am for written instructions. I study the plans and especially the cross-sections. However, this being a 2-meter, there will be kits in the hands of first-time builders. Instructions and sequencing will be important. But, even building my first Nordics at 10-years-old... I remember referring to well-labeled cross sections more than anything.
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:22 AM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
I always found that the best way to keep warm in the garage was to do a lot of sanding. When I lived in Minnesota in an apartment I used to sand on the balcony summer or winter. Never sanded enough to keep warm in February there.
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Dec 05, 2011, 11:53 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
I've been told I'm good at describing how things work in relatively simple terms. I'd be happy to lend a hand in writing any documentation even though I'm a programmer by trade. Of course a hallmark of any good bit of code is concise and clear documentation.
Lacquerhead is offline Find More Posts by Lacquerhead
Old Dec 05, 2011, 01:45 PM
Thermals are cool.........
meridian, idaho
Joined Sep 2005
358 Posts
I have found the easiest way for me to write a instruction manual was to wright a rough draft with lots of pictures to were I thought it was done. Then I gave a kit to one of my firends who is not into rc airplanes and asked them to build it for me. They pointed out some real aspects of building that only a beginner would know. Being a seasoned builder you just think that everybody knows what type of glue to use as well what a technigues you use to build. It really opened my eyes on how to write manuals.
bluefork is offline Find More Posts by bluefork
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:12 PM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Yep, that's how I try to think when I'm explaining something. For me it came from doing phone support for a ISP in the earilest days of the Internet.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 08:23 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,703 Posts
I'll echo lacquer's offer. As an aircraft mechanic, I'm pretty good at reading, and by extension writing manuals. I'll be happy to help write, or take a look at whatever gets written, and offer any appropriate suggestions for improvement to make it easy to read and understand, even for a noobie.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:33 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
OK... the finish work has started... I need some time, but home and work seem to be getting in the way... I may be givin' her a toss before you know it, though...
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Well... work kept me out most of Saturday night and Sunday morning, so I slept through some football games Sunday evening. Fuselage covering commences tonight... I'll post some pics of trim, etc.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:16 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Looks great, Jack. Really like the thinning of this fuse towards the rear. From a glance, it almost looks like it could come out on the money or maybe even a little nose heavy.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:33 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
The rear of the fuselage was thinner in the versions prior to this. I widened it to make more room for the pushrods and more glue area for the tail to fuselage joint. I seem to recall not needing to add much if any nose weight.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:46 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Well, it's a great looking design, Mark. I can't believe JW didn't put a little flare on them tips .
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:42 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
I think that Jack tried his best to do the build as true to the original design as possible. After he has flown it for awhile all bets are off on what happens to the tips.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 02:49 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
They don't call me Darth Winglet fer nuthin'...

Just finishing a 7K', last-minute fiber project, so hopefully, I'll finish her this weekend... I really need a break from this job...
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:58 AM
Wood Chucker
USA, TX, Allen
Joined Nov 2009
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
They don't call me Darth Winglet fer nuthin'...

Just finishing a 7K', last-minute fiber project, so hopefully, I'll finish her this weekend... I really need a break from this job...

I'm guessing that's the SM/MM kind of fiber rather than the CF kind of fiber.