HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:41 AM
warranty expired
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,656 Posts
New Product
New Losi Mini-8ight 4WD Brushless Racer

This won't be available for about a month but it looks sooo cool!

A 1/14th scale mini version of the team losi eight brushless racing buggy. Looks like it's built with most of the details and features of the original.

A-main hobbies has an ETA date of 10-17-11.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...rodID=LOSB0224

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ushless-System
NOTAR 600 is offline Find More Posts by NOTAR 600
Last edited by NOTAR 600; Sep 16, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:06 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Looks like a nice car, but why would they go with 1/14th scale instead of 1/18th like other companies already did?

By going with a different scale, anyone buying one would need their friends/racing buddies to have the same size to keep things kind of fair.

It's 2" longer and about 1" wider than an RC18B, seems like a silly move to me.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:30 AM
the right to remain silent
United States, NC, Lincolnton
Joined Jan 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Looks like a nice car, but why would they go with 1/14th scale instead of 1/18th like other companies already did?

By going with a different scale, anyone buying one would need their friends/racing buddies to have the same size to keep things kind of fair.

Not if you want to be the leader of a new trend
Caveman_Don is offline Find More Posts by Caveman_Don
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:25 AM
warranty expired
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

I can see your points. There are few if any other 1/14th scale vehicles out there.

One thing I noticed is several 1/16th (traxxas mini slash, mini revo and others) cars have a longer wheelbase than this. A 1/14th scale should be larger than 1/16th. Seems like in the mini sizes (and even the larger scales sometimes) the companies don't pay much attention to scale size accuracy.

Losi is under the corporate wing of horizon hobby and horizon likes to make a lot of their products have exclusive proprietary qualities.....and sell for higher prices too. This may in part explain (but not excuse )the odd 1/14th size.

Having owned a losi mini LST2 truck and mostly enjoyed it, I was intrigued by this little eight machine.

Only reason I bought a mini-lst2 was the great sale price $139.99 from A-main......normal price was $199.99. (I do not work for or with a-main......just a satisfied customer). It was very fast (30 mph ?) for a little twin brushed motor truck when I used two 1600mah 2 cell lipos wired in parallel for extra run time. Ran about 15 minutes on a charge.

The one bad thing about the mini-lst2 was the plastic gear twin steering servos were known for stripping the gears after ten sessions or less. I replaced mine with JR metal gear micro servos....after that it was all good. So I will be approaching the mini-eight with servo-suspicion.

The mini-eight brushless ESC can use up to a 3 cell lipo which gets my attention because that could mean serious speeeed! The guys at my local track only use 2 cell lipos in their traxxas slash trucks (their ESC's can handle 3 cell lipos) because otherwise they're too fast. Up until hearing this I was not aware a racing vehicle could be "too fast" . Ok, I learned something .

The little mini-eight also has metal shock bodies and a bunch of other raceable goods on her. I've always wanted a full size nitro losi eight but settled for the less expensive.....but still way fun kyosho DBX.
Last edited by NOTAR 600; Sep 16, 2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
warranty expired
Central Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman_Don View Post
Not if you want to be the leader of a new trend
Exactly. And it would be cool if that happened.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:05 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
I still don't get it, Losi even has a bunch of 1/18th scale cars already.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:42 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
New 8ight Mini owner

Just picked one of these up. Was looking for something to feed the addiction when the weather's too crappy to fly my planes & helis. Didn't want to go nitro, and didn't want to go 1/10-scale electric, either. And I already have a Micro-T & 1/24th-scale Micro SCT for indoors. I was primarily looking for something with which to do some 10/10ths driving in my driveway & the cul-de-sac.

It's pretty fast with the stock pack, and it handles well at speed. After driving with the stock tx, I bound it to my DX3C & set it up for 100% rate on steering with 30% expo. Seemed to be about where I want it. Was too dark to really wring her out, though. That'll have to wait until I get home from work tomorrow.

I also ordered a couple Thunder Power TP1300-3SPP65 & TP1800-2SPP65 packs for it. Should perk things up a bit.

Here are some pics:

Note - I added the Deans connector.

And now with her clothes removed!

Stock 1100 mAh NiMH pack:

1600 mAh NiMH pack:

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 15, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:24 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Mini 8ight test-drive - stock vehicle, stock pack

Here's a hatcam clip of the Mini 8ight on the stock pack. I have a 1300 mAh NRG 3s LiPo that I'm going to try next. It doesn't fit the tray very well (have to Velcro instead of the battery strap), but it'll work until my Thunder Power packs show up.

Losi Mini 8ight test-drive - stock pack (3 min 51 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2011, 04:53 PM
the right to remain silent
United States, NC, Lincolnton
Joined Jan 2011
392 Posts
WOW That looks like toooo much fun... I can't wait to see some off road action
Caveman_Don is offline Find More Posts by Caveman_Don
Old Nov 16, 2011, 09:23 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Mini 8ight on 3s

Stuffed in an Outrage 1300 35c 3s pack from an old heli & took her for a spin on the street after work today. After the run, I realized that I had picked up the wrong pack! The one in the video had not been charged since early spring. I went back out with the freshly-charged pack, but it was too dark for the #3 keychain cam I use for my 'hatcam' videos. It was scary-fast on the fresh pack, and it easily stood on the bumper when I nailed it while cruising at half-throttle! This is gonna be fun!!

The NRG pack doesn't fit the tray correctly - I had to use Velcro. But it's good enough for some speed runs on pavement until my Thunder Power packs show up.

I'll post another clip on a fresh pack tomorrow. Or maybe yet tonight, if I can find a well-lit parking lot.

Losi Mini 8ight on a 3s LiPo (5 min 6 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:56 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Mini 8ight on 3s - take two

A few more speed runs with the Mini 8ight on a 2-year-old Outrage NRG 1300 mAh 35c 3s pack. This time I made sure the pack was freshly-charged. She's pretty quick, and she's very easy to drive fast.

The motor is barely warm after 5 or so minutes of hard driving on asphalt w/3s. The ESC, however, is uncomfortably warm to the touch.

Losi Mini 8ight on 3s - take 2 (3 min 25 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 02:15 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Losi Mini 8ight on 3s - on-board video

Here's some on-board video I shot today.

Losi Mini 8ight on 3s - on-board video (9 min 59 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 03:16 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
First snow!

First snow of the season. Just had to take her out for a spin on the white stuff. Surprisingly, I found no moisture inside afterward.

Losi Mini 8ight - first snow! (1 min 56 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:24 PM
Roo
United States, MA, Westfield
Joined Aug 2011
46 Posts
so what do you guys think...good racing between these and mini revos?
Roo3 is offline Find More Posts by Roo3
Old Nov 26, 2011, 10:11 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Mini 8ight on 1/10th-scale Dynamite SS road wheels

I picked up a set of Dynamite Super Sport chrome 16-spoke on-road wheels with radial tread. PN: DYN7961. What do you guys think?

Mini 8ight on Dynamite Super Sport road wheels (2 min 9 sec)

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 26, 2011 at 10:37 PM.