HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:05 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,081 Posts
Discussion
Toothpaste to buff GoPro case lens scratch?

Hi all
Does this actualy work? I've heard others using silver polish as well.
I'm referring to the case lens, not the camera lens.
I have a couple of small chips that show as blurr spots on film.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:22 AM
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Jul 2011
50 Posts
Do you mean the waterproof housing? .. Light scratches can be filled with fancy auto sealants (car wax). 'Klasse' from Germany is an old classic. I use these on my glasses also.

There are specific polishes for plastic. Micro-Mesh makes a kit, 210 Polish and a variety of others are used on sit-in aircraft but you may be better off buying another housing. I got one off Ebay for $25. because I broke the clasp. GoPro even sells an extra lens itself.

When you said 'chips' - it says to me your lens is toast. You would have to 'polish' to the bottom level of your chips .. with potential for distortion.

Jim
wetstuff is offline Find More Posts by wetstuff
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:08 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,207 Posts
Not to mention, once you buff out the scratches, the optical transmittance of the cover is distorted creating weird stuff in the image.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Sep 16, 2011, 03:02 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,081 Posts
http://goprouser.freeforums.org/fast...oval-t509.html
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:37 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
Tried that solution, did not work at all, and the scratch I had was not all that bad.. order some spares, that's what I did, also ordered some of those tough skin coverings for the gopro case and lens, but haven't tried them yet.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
Haidar
Malaysia, Selangor, Petaling Jaya
Joined Sep 2008
165 Posts
That is sliver polish not toothpaste..if it were toothpaste then the next question will be what flavor????
haidar is offline Find More Posts by haidar
Old Sep 18, 2011, 02:08 AM
SSM
Voluntary Assumption of Risk
Australia, VIC, Canterbury
Joined Nov 2003
1,235 Posts
Folks - by all means give these a go. Some report success.

Me? I once spent a couple of hours trying to buff out two pits on the GoPro housing lens (not the lens on the camera). I tried toothpaste (>1.5 hours) and Silvo silver polish (>1 hour). In the end, I did partly remove the pits but was left with more "blur" than I had previously had.

Here's with the original small pits - almost unnoticeable.

Here's after the toothpaste and Silvo.

I ended up buying the lens replacement kit. Voila!

Simon
SSM is offline Find More Posts by SSM
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:21 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
I got some of these, but haven't put them on yet. I'll try one on the housing lens, not sure if I want to put one on the camera itself or not though..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:26 AM
multi-rotor man
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2002
150 Posts
Check out your local auto parts store. Look for headlight lense polish. It is a plastic polish with a fine abrasive. Worked a treat on my headlight covers. Even used on my glasses to smooth some minor abrasions. Some different flavors available, kits with grades of fine sandpaper and polish, or just a bottle of polish.

Alfred
arrio is offline Find More Posts by arrio
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,394 Posts
Before I went into the ministry, I was a glass man. Glass cutter, Glazier, and we also worked in plastics. The rule of thumb for glass or plastic, is, if you can feel it with your finger nail it can't be buffed out, with out distorting the face of the glass or plastic. Since it is a lens or works with a lens, I wouldn't recommend it. Either buy a new case, or cut out part of the area large enough to put a new piece of plastic in that area. Using Loctite plastic glue. Make sure you make it water tight again. Hope this helps.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird