HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:21 PM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
232 Posts
Discussion
late bday present lol thundertiger outlaw jr

hi guys finally got a boat not exactly a miss geico etc my rents got it for me so far it goes quite well and handles ok too but it comes with a 40 amp esc and 380 brushless outrunner.

Though got bored with the speed after a few outings so the stock electronics have found their way into my rio ep for test fitting etc.

I have ordered a turnigy 80 amp esc i realised it had no BEC when it was too late lol but anyways ill jus run a Rx pack and i ordered some adjustable trim tabs and F/E rudder.

I was thinking of powering it with the new aquacraft 1800 kv motor and running an sv27r stinger drive as the stock is non adjustable and solid flex and 5.5mm bullets as it came with deans if the computer was running better id upload a vid.

But other than a power and adjustabilty issue im quite happy with it considerin this is my first ever F/E boat.

And once all the goodies are in it may be a sufficent race boat to hold me over till i order a PB mystic in coming months
Shannon87 is offline Find More Posts by Shannon87
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:55 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,333 Posts
Pictures?
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:29 PM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
232 Posts
hi scorpion ill take a couple of the outlaw its jus missing a few things lol and ill take an interior lay out of the rio
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:19 AM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
232 Posts
hi scorpion the computer just wont let me do it ill try again later
Last edited by Shannon87; Sep 16, 2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:23 AM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
232 Posts
shot of transom
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:41 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,333 Posts
Thats a good lookin boat..................why not try it with the stock drive first and see how it does?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:44 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
How do you steer it ?
Rusty Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Old Fart
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:06 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Old Fart View Post
How do you steer it ?
There's a servo in the rear that tilts a bar with a large steel ball bearing on it.............that shifts the weight from one side to the other.

Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:16 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
I know that. This one has no rudder
Rusty Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Old Fart
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:34 PM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
232 Posts
lol haha funny guys yer scorp ill try the stock drive and go from there i was only gunna change it for more prop changes and adjustability and i took the stock rudder off because im waiting for my F/E rudder to come in and all that holds in the stock rudder blade is a tiny screw and a rubber band instead of a break away bolt and the F/E rudder will have a better water pick ups and better blade design it should be here next week hopefully
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:47 PM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
232 Posts
and here is the rio with the electronics in a rough layout that came with the outlaw and it still needs alot of work a new motor mount,driveline and needs a layer of glass also thats how i brought the hull lol from a garage sale it was 20 bucks haha and i thought id give it a try
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:22 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jun 2008
1,159 Posts
I picked up a Yellow Outlaw Jr. from someone on the forum NIB.

I have been trying to get in touch with Thunder Tiger because the rotating part of the outrunner motor is doesn't run true and wobbles, causing vibration.

I was also wondering what the approx. stock top speed was of this boat and what motors, etc. might fit it to increase performance?

The only other thing I don't like is having to put on and remove the foam sealing tape around the hatch every time I put in a new lipo.
I was thinking of trying to make a gasket or something instead.

Otherwise it's a nice boat...
richord is offline Find More Posts by richord
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:20 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,022 Posts
The only 80amp marine esc that hobbyking sells that I know of is the seaking 80hv(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Boat_ESC.html). You mentioned it has no bec which makes sense that it's a HV esc. Anything less then 5s won't register. So just make sure your motor selection and batteries are for a 5s or higher setup. Just a heads up.
Diesel6401 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:23 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,022 Posts
Nice looking hull that's for sure. I know kintecracing started selling some hop-ups for this. I never dealt with Thunder thunder before, but I owned one of there outrunners from a larger mono and tried it in a blackjack. Ran OK, but the Suppo brushless motors that fightercat and hobbyking sells run much better, and are at a GREAT price. I think the stock motor seems on the small side, also at 1900kv and only rated for 3s your rpms maybe kinda low. Also I bet a Typhoon 1800kv outrunner from hobbyking would run well in this boat, or just plan sv27r power in general on 4s.

I'd first run it stock though and see how you like it... Can't hurt. Congrats on your new model!
Diesel6401 is offline Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Last edited by Diesel6401; Nov 12, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:58 AM
australia
Joined Jul 2010
232 Posts
it performs quite well stock but definately needs more power but thats jus my experience so i am going to run sv27 stinger drive etc rudder with water pick up and new motor mount and just a 2200 kv motor i had spare that came from my apparition and a t-120 esc but yer its a good boat all the best anyways. i think just a very rough guestimate lol maybe around 22-23mph but thats very rough lol