Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:43 PM
United States, FL, Winter Park
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Discussion
DX6i For Dummies?

Ok, so now that I have a Tx to grow into I have been reading through the manual and am having somewhat of a difficult time understanding some things and how it all applies to the proper setup of an airplane(or heli, but for now airplanes). I was mainly wondering if there is a thread on the forums here that explains the terminologies and purposes of the functions offered on this Tx and how to implement them. I did a few searches and came up with nothing so far so any help in the right direction would be much appreciated. I'm not an rc hobby noob just a total noob to Tx's like the one I just got. Thanks in advance!

Nate
Primate is offline Find More Posts by Primate
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:49 PM
Punching holes in clouds
UK
Joined Aug 2010
264 Posts
What sort of things are troubling you?
MatZeRO is offline Find More Posts by MatZeRO
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Mostly the whole programming aspects as it pertains to servo throw and dual rates and expo...I guess it's just not laid out very well in the manual for a beginner to understand and help with the main standard terminologies and concepts of how they work and their application would be enough to set me in the right direction.

as a side note, I'm not asking for someone to do a step by step walkthrough for me, I'm willing to read and learn I am just having a hard time with the factory manual.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:24 PM
Where did that tree come from
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2010
1,389 Posts
Go to You Tube. do a search on ( dx6i dual rate & expo).
kid at 55 is online now Find More Posts by kid at 55
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55 View Post
Go to You Tube. do a search on ( dx6i dual rate & expo).
Will do. Actually the more I have gotten into the manual I think I am starting to understand better. I'll check out what you tube has to offer as well. Thanks!

Nate
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:57 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,389 Posts
Can't help with servo throw without my radio in front of me.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:27 PM
Beaumont, TX
Joined Feb 2007
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
Mostly the whole programming aspects as it pertains to servo throw and dual rates and expo...I guess it's just not laid out very well in the manual for a beginner to understand and help with the main standard terminologies and concepts of how they work and their application would be enough to set me in the right direction.
Totally agree. All the manual tells you how to do is to navigate through the menus to get you to a certain screen. It really doesn't tell you what to do, or what you are trying to accomplish, once you get there.
Pete Miller is offline Find More Posts by Pete Miller
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:32 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Try this for starters scroll down to RADIO SETUP and click on FULL & detailed guide to the Spektrum DX6i.

http://www.chopperaddict.co.uk/chopperaddict-tuts.html
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:27 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,001 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so now that I have a Tx to grow into I have been reading through the manual and am having somewhat of a difficult time understanding some things and how it all applies to the proper setup of an airplane(or heli, but for now airplanes). I was mainly wondering if there is a thread on the forums here that explains the terminologies and purposes of the functions offered on this Tx and how to implement them. I did a few searches and came up with nothing so far so any help in the right direction would be much appreciated. I'm not an rc hobby noob just a total noob to Tx's like the one I just got. Thanks in advance!

Nate

I agree. When I started the manual was very frustrating. There is, certainly, no goal to help somebody understand how the setting affect the handling of whatever you are flying. I think Horizon Hobbby's call in support is quite good but the rest of it reflects a company that has a very large market share for quite some time.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:43 AM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
The DX6i is your friend, don't be afraid of it.

Sit your favorite plane down in front of you, go through the manual and try each function, watching the actual surfaces move. Start with DR and expo, rudder only. Put the rudder switch up on "O", you'll see 100% with INH (default). Now turn the rudder switch down to "1", program 50% and +50 expo.
Now look at the rudder and move it side to side, switching back and forth between the two and you'll see the effects. Play with all of them, then move on to mixes, etc.

Main thing is to see how it works on the plane before you hit the skies, get comfortable with the functions, there's nothing you can put in that you can't go back and change or reset.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:51 PM
Joined Aug 2009
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausf View Post
The DX6i is your friend, don't be afraid of it.

Sit your favorite plane down in front of you, go through the manual and try each function, watching the actual surfaces move. Start with DR and expo, rudder only. Put the rudder switch up on "O", you'll see 100% with INH (default). Now turn the rudder switch down to "1", program 50% and +50 expo.
Now look at the rudder and move it side to side, switching back and forth between the two and you'll see the effects. Play with all of them, then move on to mixes, etc.

Main thing is to see how it works on the plane before you hit the skies, get comfortable with the functions, there's nothing you can put in that you can't go back and change or reset.
In case it's not obvious...take the prop off before you do this.
pete_g is offline Find More Posts by pete_g
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to make sure I at least understand the basic setup and get it right before flying this new plane. I have no problem waiting to learn and get the concepts down without giving in to the desire to get in the air. I'm now looking into the you tube suggestions, the link provided and the advice about testing it on the plane and seeing the results combined so I should come up with a decent understanding by the end of the night. I'll keep you guys posted and thanks again!

Nate
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Ok, so I figured out the initial setup configuration for my Pole Cat. I'll list what I set so you guys can give me a little feedback but from initial observation it seems like it would be a good place to start for me.

D/R&EXPO:

AILE 0 40% INH
ELEV 0 40% INH
RUDD 0 40% INH

TRAVEL ADJ:

THRO 100%
AILE 50%
ELEV 75%
RUDD 75%
Old Sep 17, 2011, 02:36 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Ok, so I figured out the initial setup configuration for my Pole Cat. I'll list what I set so you guys can give me a little feedback but from initial observation it seems like it would be a good place to start for me.

D/R&EXPO:

AILE 0 40% INH
ELEV 0 40% INH
RUDD 0 40% INH

TRAVEL ADJ:

THRO 100%
AILE 50%
ELEV 75%
RUDD 75%
Unless you are having problem with your servo binding, you should leave your travel adj. at 100%. The example you are showing for your D/R & EXPO is showing you have 40% of travel with no expo with your switch in the 0 position. To get EXPO go back to your D/R & EXPO screen and highlight the INH and press the roller. Then start rotating your roller and you will see it change to number. Make sure you put in Pos. (+) expo, not Neg.(-) expo. It will show a + in front of the number and % after the number. I used between 25% to 40% expo. ( nervous thumbs) depends on which plane I flying. When you are done setting it up , flip your switch from 0 to 1 for your aile, elev or rudder and watch the screen when you flip your switch for your aile,elev, and rudder. it will change from 0 to 1 on your screen and your setting will change also. This is your dual rate. Repeat the same step with your switch in the 1 position. For example you can leave your setting 40 % are for your low rate and 65% to 80 % or so for your high setting.( this is a example, not a recommendation). I used 0 for my low rate, and 1 for my high rate. But some used 1 for low and 0 for high. Its your choice.
Last edited by kid at 55; Sep 17, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 04:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Ok, I thought just limiting servo travel would help the plane be less twitchy but now I see what you are saying. Gonna check it out now. Thanks!

Nate