Get custom 9x with FrSky & Telemetry 18 62.07%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:00 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
Question
Sell my DX6i for 9x w/frsky telemetry?

edit: sorry I made a thread without a poll for this. I really wanted the poll. so I reposted

I thought the dx6i was an awesome radio and the best bang for the buck...

Then while researching FPV stuff, I found out all the capabilities of the 9x v2...

Even as a stand alone radio it's a freq hopping, good output 8ch radio.

Once you switch to a custom firmware, add a frsky modilemthat has a telemetry, all for about 120 bucks, it becomes a radio that nobody can touch for the price and features.

But then again, for my park flying planes (scale warbirds ranging from 800mm to 1700mm) dx6i with a orangeRx and sat receiver does the job well... I never had a problem.

But now that I'm getting into fpv, I hear these frsky setups, if done right can few couple if not more mile distances. Which is crazy...

I made a smilier post on electric flyng section because I had no idea there was a radio section! Well now that I found out, I'm re wording my question and asking in the right place.

I could probably sell my like brand new dx6i with 2 orangeRx for like 130 bucks probably, so I'd come out even I'd say.

Thanks!

Ps - For the frsky telemetry version, all needed the rx? It gets the battery voltage rx unit? Or do I need to buy somethi extra to plug into the battery?
razorseal is offline Find More Posts by razorseal
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:30 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, QC, Quebec City
Joined Sep 2006
5,818 Posts
John Kim will be proud of you
coriolan is online now Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:42 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan View Post
John Kim will be proud of you
why and who's that?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:30 PM
Linn, Tx
Joined Sep 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal View Post
edit: sorry I made a thread without a poll for this. I really wanted the poll. so I reposted

I thought the dx6i was an awesome radio and the best bang for the buck...

Then while researching FPV stuff, I found out all the capabilities of the 9x v2...

Even as a stand alone radio it's a freq hopping, good output 8ch radio.

Once you switch to a custom firmware, add a frsky modilemthat has a telemetry, all for about 120 bucks, it becomes a radio that nobody can touch for the price and features.

But then again, for my park flying planes (scale warbirds ranging from 800mm to 1700mm) dx6i with a orangeRx and sat receiver does the job well... I never had a problem.

But now that I'm getting into fpv, I hear these frsky setups, if done right can few couple if not more mile distances. Which is crazy...

I made a smilier post on electric flyng section because I had no idea there was a radio section! Well now that I found out, I'm re wording my question and asking in the right place.

I could probably sell my like brand new dx6i with 2 orangeRx for like 130 bucks probably, so I'd come out even I'd say.

Thanks!

Ps - For the frsky telemetry version, all needed the rx? It gets the battery voltage rx unit? Or do I need to buy somethi extra to plug into the battery?
If you haven't already, just visit www.rcmodelreviews.com and their forum for some great information
GB Man is offline Find More Posts by GB Man
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:31 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Here I am.

You made a wise decision.

It is so cheap that I bought three Turnigy/iMAX/FlySky TX and ditched JR, Futaba, Hitec. Don't be prejudiced because of its low price. Chinese were able to produce low cost radio without compromising high quality because of low labor cost.

Do not misled by low price. It is advanced computer radio equivalaent to any 9ch name brand radios.

I have never crashed with 9X. Programs are excellent and radio link is solid. Mechanically very good too.

You can trust the opinion of a man with 50 years of RC experience.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Last edited by John Kim; Sep 15, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:38 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kim View Post
Here I am.

You made a wise decision.

It is so cheap that I bought three Turnigy/iMAX/FlySky TX. Don't get prejudice because of its low price. Chinese were able to produce low cost radio without compromising high quality because of low labor cost.

Do not misled by low price. It is advanced computer radio equivalaent to any 9ch name brand radios.

I have never crashed with 9X. Programs are excellent and radio link is solid. Mechanically very good too.
I see....

for fpv, I wonder what video tx freq can be used. I suppose 1280mhz is out of question or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Man View Post
If you haven't already, just visit www.rcmodelreviews.com and their forum for some great information
I saw that.... "it's a 60 dollar radio" lol.

I think it just shines when we hack them and add FrSky.

and even by itself, it's not too bad
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:52 AM
Linn, Tx
Joined Sep 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
I see....

for fpv, I wonder what video tx freq can be used. I suppose 1280mhz is out of question or what?

You might want to PM, him about any of your questions. He is a wealth of info.
Bruce has been an unbiased reviewer for modelers around the world, especially in the best bang for the buck department. But his latest review of the DX-8 really shines, but its price is a premium. If money was no object, Id have one...
GB Man is offline Find More Posts by GB Man
Old Sep 18, 2011, 12:24 AM
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Jun 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
I see....

I have the Flysky 9x with the telemetry mod. I love it. Prob spend too much time checking the screen, but I'm high and my plane is pretty docile. and it is my first day with the FrSky.

As far as the "60 dollar radio" comparison. If you put it up against a high dollar Jr or Futaba radio, it looks very cheap, plastic, and the stock firmware is abysmal.

I don't know what you fly, what your plans are for future planes, your electronics background, how much money you are willing to waist, where you fly, how people at your flying field feel about Chinese equipment, or how you feel about how they feel about you.
That being said, I'm not sure if I can vote on what YOU should do. I will give my opinion.

I'm not overly excited about Spektrum. I think they are a good low end radio. To me, the DX6i, as well as the DX5 look plastic and cheap. I've read many posts of Spektrum problems and of course many good posts(purely my opinion about Spektrum. Has nothing to do with them). I've had no radio related problems with my Flysky(again I will say I've only used my FrSky 1 day. About 7 flights). I've got limited electronics experience and a limited budget. I love to tinker with this radio. It feels good in my hands, and it has performed flawlessly. I would upgrade, because it's fun, but that is for me. I don't know how you'd feel about it.

I don't know if I'd trust it to anything large. I'm flying a S.P.A.D. Debonair, with a .61 engine on it, and have total confidence. In a year or two when I put together my 50cc gasser, I'll make a decision on if I trust it enough for that. But then again, I'm not sure I'd trust Spektrum.

I'm sure if it is what you do, you will not regret the decision.
Kalikikopa is offline Find More Posts by Kalikikopa
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:58 PM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
Thanks...

Remember when you cast a vote, it's what YOU would do. not what I should do.

(at least in my polls)
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:11 AM
Joined Jun 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
Thanks...

Remember when you cast a vote, it's what YOU would do. not what I should do.

(at least in my polls)
Ok, I voted. But I already made the Flysky decision. I lost my only plane and receiver in a swamp. No fault of the radio, it was all me. I ordered 3 more receivers. When they arrived I couldn't get them to bind. In my attempt to troubleshoot, I accidentally fried my tx. At that time someone had offered me a DX6i with a receiver for $120. I had to decide whether to buy the spektrum, or another FlySky radio. After a couple days of debate. I chose to order a new Flysky. I've never regretted that decision. And in the month the new one took to get in, I was able to fix my first tx. I now have 2. One with Er9x and the stock module, and the other with the FrSky DIY with telemetry.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:57 AM
Boca Raton FL
Joined Nov 2010
598 Posts
So what was the problem? ever find out?

btw the dx6i just sold. I'm going to get the 9x, and someone here is going to do the soldering work for me.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 02:09 AM
Joined Jun 2010
227 Posts
Quote:
So what was the problem? ever find out?

btw the dx6i just sold. I'm going to get the 9x, and someone here is going to do the soldering work for me.
I might have been something I did while flashing it. My first flash attempt, I had a single color ribbon cable, and I guessed that the side of the cable with the red marking was the black cable. I was wrong. It was the brown one. But I did connect the wires wrong and try to connect it to my computer and it didn't turn on. When I removed the cable it turned on again. I then realized what I did and connected the cable the correct way and it flashed. I'm so hamfisted when it comes to electronics, I'm sure it was all my fault.

On a side note. I cut one side of the plastic in the battery compartment so I could push it back and bring the cable out. I got tired of doing that to work on the radio so I got a 9pin ps2 plug and glued it with a spacer to the main board so the plug stays with the front of the radio. Then I drilled a hole in the battery compartment. Since the telemetry mod takes some very fine soldering, I used the wire from an old HDMI cable. It is a fine wire, so it worked well for soldering to the microcontroller.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 11:08 AM
USA, TX, College Station
Joined Aug 2010
240 Posts
I got my 9x radio around March of this year. It only took me a couple months to decide to modify it. Not because of a deficiency with the radio, just because I like to tinker.

Mod 1: 1550 mah 2s lipo, this is the largest 2S pack that I could find to fit in the battery compartment
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-1550-2s1p.html

Mod 2: USB port for er9x firmware, I permanently mounted the whole usb card in the bottom of the radio with a hole in the case to plug in a usb cord.
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825

Mod 3: Fr-Sky DIY telemetry module, I don't like the look of the antenna coming out of the back so I went with the DIY module installed internally, I haven't hooked up the telemetry part yet, I just got this installed over the weekend.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_Module.html

Mod 4: Backlight, for the price I couldn't resist
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Blue_DIY_.html

Bottom line, if you like tinkering with things I don't think there is a better radio available.
TX_Winds is offline Find More Posts by TX_Winds
Last edited by TX_Winds; Oct 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM.