HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:29 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,852 Posts
The gyro can only dampen the oscillations, though, it can't cancel them out. Even if they are slow enough that the pilot can compensate them, it would still be impossible to trim the plane for straight and level hands-off flight.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2011, 05:48 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
It works!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!!11!!!!!!

its barely controllable but its ok in a hover, FF is also tricky as its very nose heavy. Right now its tail heavy in a hover and nose heavy in ff sooo i'm going to have to tweak the design parameters again.

Hey rcvertt, can you modify the code so that when flipping from hover to ff, theres a delay for the hover to diff mode, 3 seconds should work. It can also just go full on (no fading nesscary).

Video to come soon!!!!
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:23 PM
Joined Feb 2005
473 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to video!!!
cass3825 is offline Find More Posts by cass3825
Old Oct 28, 2011, 07:54 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
It works!!!!!!!1!1!1!!!!11!!!!!!

its barely controllable but its ok in a hover, FF is also tricky as its very nose heavy. Right now its tail heavy in a hover and nose heavy in ff sooo i'm going to have to tweak the design parameters again.

Hey rcvertt, can you modify the code so that when flipping from hover to ff, theres a delay for the hover to diff mode, 3 seconds should work. It can also just go full on (no fading nesscary).

Video to come soon!!!!
Way to go!

For the nose heavy FF, you could just add a little are to the canard.

For tail heavy hover, prop down a little on the front props.

Check out cass's VTOL code. You can chose the speed of transition and and independently determine what angle you switch from FF to hover controls.

Hope to see video soon. Congratulations!
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:18 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
yup, Cass's code is on the to do list once I figure out how to get it to do the things I need it to do (and solve the weird servo glitching) I also have added area to the front canard and im getting much better performance! All I need to do now is cut out more area around the rear and allow more air to flow for the rear set of motors. the video is uploading and should be ready in about 30mins.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:00 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
VIDEO!!
QTR II first full VTOL transitions (2 min 53 sec)
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:42 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
I just got done with airframe II1/2 I wanted to change the design around again but wanted to be sure it wouldn't crash once the depron one was made. Flies very good, did about 10 transitions to and from without having to land (the larger rear channels allow for more undisturbed air flow. Video tommorow (I did all of these flights in darkness so you can't see anything on cam)
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:48 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Quote:

Video to come soon!!!!
That vid looks great, congrats.

The attached file has a 3 second delay between Hover and Forward Flight mode. It also has a 3 second delay between Forward Flight and Hover mode.

To change when hover mode controls kick in adjust "userHoverDelay"
To change when Forward Flight controls kick in adjust "userForwardFlightDelay".

The section to change is near the top of the file here...
Code:
#define QTR                                //QTR FoamAndTape Quad Tilt Rotor definition.
 int hoverDelay =0;                        //QTR
 int forwardFlightDelay =0;                //QTR
 int userHoverDelay =350;                  //QTR
 int userForwardFlightDelay =350;          //QTR
The range is from (0= no delay) to (350 = 3 seconds). You can go above 350 for a longer delay if you want.

Quote:
I just got done with airframe II1/2...
Looks awesome! How much does it weigh including the battery?

Is your canard at a positive incidence or is it mounted flat like the rear wing?
RCvertt is online now Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 29, 2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 07:21 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Sounds like it's working good. Any video of the newest code flying? You're the first to get it working so your vids help teach me how to fly these things

Transitions sound smooth already with the delay but that new elevon code should make it silky smoooooth.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:24 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Ok, ill see what i can come up with. Flew it today in a bit of a breeze, i found it dificult to get it to fly forward in a hover since the rear motors are almost at full in a hover? Notsure how I lost so much power and authority there but i'm hoping the final one should be light enough to work well. Whats weird about it is the cg is in the middle of the two sets of props.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Quote:
i found it difficult to get it to fly forward in a hover since the rear motors are almost at full in a hover? Notsure how I lost so much power and authority there but i'm hoping the final one should be light enough to work well. Whats weird about it is the cg is in the middle of the two sets of props.
Adding pitch control to your motor tilt servo when hovering should help with forward hover flight.

I think the rear wing is just too big on these things. When the aircraft pitches down for forward hover flight, it fights the motor commands in several ways by trying to pitch the airframe up.

If you connect the motor tilt servo signal wire to pin 8 the code will be easier to do.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 29, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:05 PM
Joined Feb 2005
473 Posts
foam&tape and RCvertt, just wanted to say great job! You guys make a great team. The servo smoothing looks great in the vid! Can't wait to see where this goes. Hopefully we can get Alex to incorporate some of this into the 'official' Multiwii code releases.
cass3825 is offline Find More Posts by cass3825
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:10 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
haha, thanks guys. There are no "teams" when it comes to VTOLs. We're all in the same boat, with the "simple" task of making a helicopter and an airplane mate.

here's the final (proposed) design
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:12 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cass3825 View Post
foam&tape and RCvertt, just wanted to say great job! You guys make a great team. The servo smoothing looks great in the vid! Can't wait to see where this goes. Hopefully we can get Alex to incorporate some of this into the 'official' Multiwii code releases.
Thanks. I think it's safe to say that this stuff wouldn't be happening as quick as it is without all of our help. It would be cool if Alex could get some VTOL code in there. Looks like we are all just hitting the tip of the iceberg with this RC VTOL stuff. I see 400$ or less collective pitch Ospreys and QTR's in our future. RotorMast might sell a few more scale frame kits if he went MultiWii compatible.

Quote:
haha, thanks guys. There are no "teams" when it comes to VTOLs. We're all in the same boat, with the "simple" task of making a helicopter and an airplane mate.

here's the final (proposed) design
That's it, you're off the team

the CV-44 idea is looking good. I should have tried putting a plane and quad in a dark room together to save on coding time.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 30, 2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:23 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,182 Posts
Quote:
...found it dificult to get it to fly forward in a hover since the rear motors are almost at full in a hover?...
You can also try changing the below line to 2000 for more throttle. Check in the configurator that your throttle channel goes that high also.

Code:
#define MAXTHROTTLE 1850
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!