SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:54 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
I think your idea of ramping the gains/commands up and down is the best solution. I've done something similar with the rear motor but I'll need some more time on that.

We'll start with the two second delay for now. That should at least give the motors time to tilt to 45 degrees before the hard control switch occurs.

Sure. When you switch to forward flight do you want your left or right TX stick to control motor yaw.
preferably the left stick, so the motors move with the rudder. This thing is getting sooo close to working. I would be lost without geniuses like you!
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 05:27 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,133 Posts
on the V it switches both the yaw and roll to maintain the same stick feel of yaw on left stick and roll on right stick .
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Old Oct 09, 2011, 05:44 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
preferably the left stick, so the motors move with the rudder. This thing is getting sooo close to working. I would be lost without geniuses like you!
Here is an update for forward flight. Check the forward flight motor commands in the GUI to make sure they are correct. Don't forget to take your props off.

This version should have gyro and TX control for yaw. You can probably set the P value for yaw to one so the gyro doesn't really do anything. You can then play with your yaw TX enpoints to get the right amount of yaw command. I'll put another MultiWii together so the gyro control for yaw can be removed in a better way.

I'll need more time to get a delay working.

Quote:
...I would be lost without geniuses like you!
Same goes for you. I thought the code was going to be the difficult part but it's been finding a frame like the ones you build that has advanced this kind of project to something that is actually flyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v22chap View Post
on the V it switches both the yaw and roll to maintain the same stick feel of yaw on left stick and roll on right stick .
I think F&T has elevons on the back wing for forward flight. If he just had elevator and rudder control I'd put rudder on the right stick.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 09, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:28 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,243 Posts
Did you get a change to try forward flight with the above file? I'm able to test the code on my system now and yaw motor thrust control for forward flight looks pretty good to me.

If not, no problem. I should have the gyro control removed by morning.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:33 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
nope, not yet, the airframe is barely still together after all the crashes from attempting forward flight. I may have some time to test it tomorrow.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:38 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,243 Posts
Quote:
nope, not yet, the airframe is barely still together after all the crashes from attempting forward flight. I may have some time to test it tomorrow.
No prob. Shounds like you and your ship could use the rest.

I can relate to the crashed airframe. Wish they made low temp cordless glue guns we can take to the flying field. Found one locally but it was high temp. Duct tape and epoxy just becomes to heavy quickly. Might have to DIY one some how.

///Edit
Never mind. I just discovered this new internet feature called Google
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 09, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:48 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
F&T,

Most of what you need for this quad has already been developed in the F-35/VTOL code:

Servo stretching
Servo slowing
Hover, fast hover, forward flight modes
Switch of yaw control for the different flight modes as required, no changes for the pilots logic.
A lot of the details are in the transitions in order to make them seamless.

I think adapting the existing code for the quad is the easiest path if you are interested.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:53 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
hahahaha, yup, my interest in this hobby has peaked again as the JR indoor is only 4 weeks away. I normally get this way around this time of the year. I've spent the last 5 days actually doing something with the thing. I'm paying for it now though, I have a nice 3.5 page Essay on a rhetorical analysis due tomorrow and I'm still dicking around with Rcgroups and this VTOL thing.... Internet is probably the worst thing to happen to my school work, but the best thing when it comes to my hobby...
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:16 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,243 Posts
Quote:
hahahaha, yup, my interest in this hobby has peaked again as the JR indoor is only 4 weeks away. I normally get this way around this time of the year. I've spent the last 5 days actually doing something with the thing. I'm paying for it now though, I have a nice 3.5 page Essay on a rhetorical analysis due tomorrow and I'm still dicking around with Rcgroups and this VTOL thing.... Internet is probably the worst thing to happen to my school work, but the best thing when it comes to my hobby...
LoL. Well I guess there are worse thing you could be looking at on the interweb instead of just RCgroups. That has to count for something. Maybe your teacher will go easy on you if you tell them that. Now if only you can get an essay assignment on VTOL.

Leds project and I have shared a lot of code together so we basically have the same thing now. Might help you understand how this stuff is coded up though as we build it up piece by piece.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:30 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
F&T,

Most of what you need for this quad has already been developed in the F-35/VTOL code:

Servo stretching
Servo slowing
Hover, fast hover, forward flight modes
Switch of yaw control for the different flight modes as required, no changes for the pilots logic.
A lot of the details are in the transitions in order to make them seamless.

I think adapting the existing code for the quad is the easiest path if you are interested.
very cool lead, how would I go about adapting the quad to the code though? those features would be excellent to have! it would definitely save alot of time doing that then trying to reinvent the wheel.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:47 AM
Joined Feb 2005
473 Posts
We're performing flight confirmations on the VTOL Tri code ported to MultiWii 1.8 now, and will then apply this to a VTOL Quad definition. If all goes well, should happen this week. Are you using separate servos for front and rear tilt mechanisms? This will determine if pitch mixing is coded for forward flight.
cass3825 is offline Find More Posts by cass3825
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:25 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cass3825 View Post
We're performing flight confirmations on the VTOL Tri code ported to MultiWii 1.8 now, and will then apply this to a VTOL Quad definition. If all goes well, should happen this week. Are you using separate servos for front and rear tilt mechanisms? This will determine if pitch mixing is coded for forward flight.
planning on using a single servo, in case the servo fails mid transition the whole unit fails as a group. rather than having the rear or front motors stall at a specific position and the other pair fully converting causing a crash. This also makes fine tuning it fairly simple too.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:08 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
Quote:
planning on using a single servo, in case the servo fails mid transition the whole unit fails as a group. rather than having the rear or front motors stall at a specific position and the other pair fully converting causing a crash. This also makes fine tuning it fairly simple too.
It looks like the there are two servos controlling the rear wing in an elevon set up? Any other servos on the plane?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:16 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
It looks like the there are two servos controlling the rear wing in an elevon set up? Any other servos on the plane?
added a working rudder to *try* and get it to fly straight. its not in the pictures or vids yet.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:22 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,767 Posts
If you can control yaw with the motors in forward flight would you prefer no rudder/servo or would you prefer to keep the rudder?