HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:59 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,483 Posts
I dont do anything but the Foam at this time.

I used some flat pieces of thin 1/32 ply in certain locations.
But I dont know if mine is built too heavy or not yet, ya know.

I don't believe myself to be of any authority on these until I've finished and flown it.

I simply took the drawings provided here and did the CAD and CNC work.

Best

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:50 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I've haven't gotten mine to fly yet. My first was too heavy. My second one was built from Bob's plans posted on this thread reduced to 75%. I've got it all together and tried it but I had some problems. In forward flight mode the thrust was opposite the yaw in quad copter mode. I think I got that fixed. Also I'm wondering if enough air flow is moving from the rear two motors. The 8" prop is way wider than the tilt area provided in the rear wing in quad copter mode. It seems, that a lot of the thrust is diverted onto the wing instead of through the open area which will reduce the thrust lift. F&Ts model looks like it flys sooooo good. I've yet to see another like his to fly at all. I'm getting closer but, I'm not there yet.
tom-tom 1 is offline Find More Posts by tom-tom 1
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom 1 View Post
It seems, that a lot of the thrust is diverted onto the wing instead of through the open area which will reduce the thrust lift...
Cut the hole bigger. Mine isn't that much different from F&T's

Have you flown it in regular airplane mode yet? If not, what's the hold up
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:07 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
yup, i'd reccomend testing forward flight before investing time into adding all the tilt components in. I have 8 inch props on mine too and having less wing in the way definitely helped with hovering. The thing did fly OK in forward flight, it certainly wasn't anything spectacular along with in hover. It pretty much did what it wanted to do in hover mode regarding yaw control.

I'm currently crafting up another VTOL similar to LF's F-35, pretty much the same configuration. I'll try to provide plans for this one and a build guide if it works.
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:38 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,726 Posts
if the two front or rear motors are on separate tilt servos it might be simpler and more effective to control yaw through differential tilt than with the typical cross/differential thrust arrangement of fixed rotor quads.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
Have you flown it in regular airplane mode yet? If not, what's the hold up[/QUOTE]

Well-the weather has been bad, it's 35 miles to the flying field, I've been working until dark, the check's in the mail, the dog ate my homework, but mostly it's cold and windy.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:55 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
Quote:
Well-the weather has been bad, it's 35 miles to the flying field, I've been working until dark, the check's in the mail, the dog ate my homework, but mostly it's cold and windy.
That attitude ain't going to fly around these parts. Get some credit cards, take the dog to the pound and put some lights on that sucker and fly
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:01 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
hell yeah I'm just about to go test the Chimera (awesome name for a VTOL) in 14 F and snow... whats your excuse.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
Sooo, That's the way it is. I guess the excuses will have to stop. Thanks for the encouragement. More videos and photos to come.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:03 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
yup, i'd reccomend testing forward flight before investing time into adding all the tilt components in. I have 8 inch props on mine too and having less wing in the way definitely helped with hovering. The thing did fly OK in forward flight, it certainly wasn't anything spectacular along with in hover. It pretty much did what it wanted to do in hover mode regarding yaw control.

I'm currently crafting up another VTOL similar to LF's F-35, pretty much the same configuration. I'll try to provide plans for this one and a build guide if it works.
Yeah, my new F-35 is still collecting dust. All I need to finish it is the top fuse. I got stuck here cause I wanted to do a nice (possibly vacuum molded) looking canopy/fuse. It's pretty much the same as the first except the addition of retractable landing gear.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:10 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I got two short flights down the street-straight and low in forward flight mode. I still haven't got the thing to hover. My yaw control seems to be opposite in hover mode than in forward flight mode. It doesn't help to reverse my servo in the radio. It just reverses both. I have changed yaw direction in the code and that doesn't seem to be the answer either. RCvertt, do you have any ideas. Is there someplace in the code where I can control the variable thrust in forward mode- like reverse direction, increase or lessen or turn off? I am going to switch out the boards with my quad copter and see if I can get it to hover. I could have something hooked up wrong. I know my quad copter works so I'm interested in what that board wilol do in my quad vtol.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:24 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
Quote:
I got two short flights down the street-straight and low in forward flight mode. I still haven't got the thing to hover. My yaw control seems to be opposite in hover mode than in forward flight mode. It doesn't help to reverse my servo in the radio. It just reverses both. I have changed yaw direction in the code and that doesn't seem to be the answer either. RCvertt, do you have any ideas. Is there someplace in the code where I can control the variable thrust in forward mode- like reverse direction, increase or lessen or turn off? I am going to switch out the boards with my quad copter and see if I can get it to hover. I could have something hooked up wrong. I know my quad copter works so I'm interested in what that board wilol do in my quad vtol.
I think it might have something to do with which way you have your yaw control set, I noticed your left rear motor is turning the prop CCW, I think I have mine setup CW so I may not have had to reverse my yaw command. Also in this configuration the (slight) twisting of the air frame during yawing to the left/right twisted the frame in the correct direction that it should turn, thus aiding in yawing the thing.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:28 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather View Post
Yeah, my new F-35 is still collecting dust. All I need to finish it is the top fuse. I got stuck here cause I wanted to do a nice (possibly vacuum molded) looking canopy/fuse. It's pretty much the same as the first except the addition of retractable landing gear.
Sounds neat, I was contemplating Vacuforming an entire airliner fuselage out of some really thin ABS or some clear Vacu sheeting and making the wings and tail out of depron. The plane would have been an indoor flyer with a 40-50 inch ws. Definitely keep us informed as I haven't seen any vacuformed foamy planes.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:45 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
Sounds neat, I was contemplating Vacuforming an entire airliner fuselage out of some really thin ABS or some clear Vacu sheeting and making the wings and tail out of depron. The plane would have been an indoor flyer with a 40-50 inch ws. Definitely keep us informed as I haven't seen any vacuformed foamy planes.
I want to use PET (polyethylenepterthalate) very tough plastic used in packaging and soda bottles for the vacuum forming. I built a little jib and it works pretty good. I just have to make the fuse plugs to complete.

Part of the reason for the formed fuselage is to have space on top for the battery and especially the flight control board. Bottom mounting the fcb changes some of the orientation of the gyros.
leadfeather is offline Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,067 Posts
Quote:
Sooo, That's the way it is. I guess the excuses will have to stop. Thanks for the encouragement. More videos and photos to come.
Just a little tough love from the VTOL family That Chimera looks like a cool project F&T.
RCG Plus Member