HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:12 AM
Ursel, Belgium, Europe
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
Right.

I didn't think of that.

I love how it makes it's own clear spot to land.

Dirk.
swami is offline Find More Posts by swami
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Dear Peter,

I saw a video on flitetest.com about your X-19 Hummingbird VTOL aircraft. I teach a course involving quadcopters at Lorain County Community College in Elyria, Ohio. I am also the faculty adviser for the college's Orbit aerospace club. Are you ever up in northeast Ohio? I'm wondering if you would like to bring your X-19 aircraft to an Orbit meeting to discuss your aircraft. We also have an outdoor flying field and an indoor field house in which we can fly RC aircraft, if you would like to demonstrate it. Or if you're ever flying it in the Dayton area, perhaps I could see it there. I'm down there fairly regularly. Neat project. Good luck with it!

Marlin
marlinlinger is offline Find More Posts by marlinlinger
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
RCvertt - F&T,
I've been building a 75% QTR since my first attenpt was too heavy. I want to use elevons on the aft wings. When I set my DX8 to elevons, my motors don't power upcorrectly for hover. The motors work correctly when I set the wing selection to normal wing. How did you get your elevons to work correctly and not mess up your quad copter function? Thanks, I 'm not giving up yet.
tom-tom 1 is offline Find More Posts by tom-tom 1
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom 1 View Post
RCvertt - F&T,
I've been building a 75% QTR since my first attenpt was too heavy. I want to use elevons on the aft wings. When I set my DX8 to elevons, my motors don't power upcorrectly for hover. The motors work correctly when I set the wing selection to normal wing. How did you get your elevons to work correctly and not mess up your quad copter function? Thanks, I 'm not giving up yet.
I did mine by slaving Channels 6 and 7 for the quad parts, 6 slaved to 1, 7 to 2 and rudder was just y harnessed for both. That way elevon mixing happens for 1 and 2 and 6 and 7 only correspond to the individual sticks. That or use a vtail mixer.
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,241 Posts
Mine was mixed in Arduino code. I think F&T's method will work best for you. It will work better if you don't have elevons on the back. Canards like the Long Easy like to have elevator control up front.

So you should be able to get away with no mixing and just plug your back ailerons directly to the RX and your front elevator directly to the RX and have full airplane control. If you go this route make sure you mount your servos in the correct direction since you won't be able to use your TX servo reversing since that would affect your quad controls. Or slave a channel to the aileron and elevator like F&T suggested so you can reverse those channels latter if you want. If you slave a channel then that would also allow you to control its travel range which might come in handy.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:59 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
Thanks so much F&T and RCvertt for your quick and informative answers to my problem. Now I have to decide which way to try. I was going to try to leave off the rudders because the board gives me variable thrust for yaw. I saw this done in the RCvertt video. I was also going to try to leave off the active elevator on the canard. F&T said his elevator came loose and it didn't make any difference in the way his QTR flew. In the interest of weight, I was just thinking of leaving them both off. What do you think?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I decided to go for an active elevator on the canard and elevons on the aft wing. I got everything mixed correctly as far as direction goes. Travel and trim are another matter. Where generally is the CG as far as forward flight is concerned? In F&Ts videos I could hardly tell the surfaces were moving so I'm guessing that I won't need a lot of throw. Here are photos of the new (around 2 LBs) lighter version. I went back with the little blue wonder motors. I hope to test it out this week.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,241 Posts
Looks good. You may not need a rudder that moves but you will need at least a vertical stabilizer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom 1 View Post
...Where generally is the CG as far as forward flight is concerned? In F&Ts videos I could hardly tell the surfaces were moving so I'm guessing that I won't need a lot of throw...
I used an online canard CG calculator I found on google and ended up with my CG about an inch in front of what the CG calculator told me. I recommend you do your first forward flight tests with a conventional rolling takeoff and landing or it'll crash and you won't know why.

I wouldn't worry about tilting the motors yet. If they are already on tilting rods then hot glue the rods in place and fly it like a normal airplane. You'll probably end up changing its shape as you try to get it flying good. If it doesn't fly good then the canard is probably too long. It should be about half the length of the rear wing or smaller.

My elevons had to move a lot and had to be big.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Dec 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,241 Posts
Looks like your elevator on the canard is half the length of the canard. I would make it the full length of the canard.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:49 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,760 Posts
F&Ts design has the OUTER front Wing tilting with the motor and the
inner Front wing fixed except for the moveable elevator.

It seems to have worked well for him.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:42 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,857 Posts
I think my CG was about in between the four motors. Possibly about an inch or two forward of that. Its gone now though
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Birdofplay: Did you ever get your version flying?
garrisondr is offline Find More Posts by garrisondr
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
F&Ts design has the OUTER front Wing tilting with the motor and the
inner Front wing fixed except for the moveable elevator.

It seems to have worked well for him.
It's possible that mine was nose heavy. I recently had the same problem with my Osprey but moving the battery back on it brought the elevator to life.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:23 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,760 Posts
NO dang it all ... It's in storage still.
I wont have a large enough place to do Building until Early Summer "hopefully".

I used what space I have to start up CNC cutting ops again and that was that.

sigh ...

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Bob,

I'm thinking seriously about ordering the foam parts kit from you for Sripol's X-19 Hummingbird QTR. Do you, or can you, provide any other structural parts than just the foam pieces? What would you recommend as the best adhesive to assemble the foam structure? Also, any advice based on your experience would be welcome.

Thanks,
--Darrell--
garrisondr is offline Find More Posts by garrisondr