HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
Pin 12 is the one where I messed up the solder ring. I have a new Sparkfun ProMini but I can't get any code to upload so I'm sending it back. I have a couple more ordered but have to wait to receive them. What should the voltage be on pin 12?
tom-tom 1 is offline Find More Posts by tom-tom 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:54 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
I'm getting 3.96v when using flight battery power. 4.6v when using USB power.

As long as you are not over 5v you should be ok.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 08, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
I added some into to the post that has the wiring diagram.

*This wiring diagram isn't perfect. When using USB power only, the BEC will start to over heat. Keep a finger on it when using only USB power. The turnigy 5a switching BEC I'm using doesn't like getting power fed into its "output" port which can happen when using this wiring diagram.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 10, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I received 2 new ProMini boards yesterday. I loaded one up with the 1.7 code, attached the WMP board and the GUI works. I installed the boards on my quad copter and assembled the bec, escs, motors and receiver using your diagram.

I turned on the transmitter and plugged in the battery. The motors start in the correct direction when I move the throttle to the minimum and yaw left. They run about half throttle at min. and will run up to full throttle. Nothing seems to change when I move the copter. The motors change very little when I move the yaw, pitch, and roll stick. The motors quit when I move the throttle to the minimum and yaw to the right.
My throttle cut doesn't work.

I had to use full min. trim on throttle and 150% sub trim travel adj.on yaw to get the motors to start.
Last edited by tom-tom 1; Oct 18, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I lowered the min.throttle setting in the code from 1300 to 900 and the throttle-cut now works and the motors don't run on minimum throttle now. The throttle, pitch, roll and yaw in the right upper section of the GUI now work with my transmitter inputs. I'm thinking about rebinding my receiver to reset the failsafe and putting some props on this thing. It's too windy to fly today but I may be able to tell if the gyros are working.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom 1 View Post
I lowered the min.throttle setting in the code from 1300 to 900 and the throttle-cut now works and the motors don't run on minimum throttle now. The throttle, pitch, roll and yaw in the right upper section of the GUI now work with my transmitter inputs. I'm thinking about rebinding my receiver to reset the failsafe and putting some props on this thing. It's too windy to fly today but I may be able to tell if the gyros are working.
Sounds good.
I would set the code back to 1300. The motors are supposed to run slowly at minimum throttle when the quad is armed. That lets you know that the motors are armed and also prevents them from stopping while in flight due to hard maneuvers. Disarming the quad will shut the motors off completely. If you want the motors to stop at min throttle without having to disarm, then you can uncomment (#define MOTOR_STOP) to make the motors stop at min throttle without disarming.

Don't forget to calibrate each TX channel so it reads about 1000 - 1500 - 2000 at the low-mid-high stick position. Use your TX endpoint adjustment to get in the 1000-2000 range and use subtrim to get near 1500.

After you calibrate your TX you have to calibrate your ESC's again so they respond to the new throttle calibrated range. You have to take them off the quad and connect them up to the receiver directly just like you did before, only now they are being calibrated to the TX range that you set in the MultiWii config program.

I recommend that you don't try to fly your quad right away. Take the props off, put strips of tape on the motor shafts so you can see them spinning, hold the quad from the top firmly in your hands, give the lowest amount of throttle needed to start the motors, then move the quad around. If your gyros are working you will see your motors starting and stopping as you move the quad around.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 18, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
RCvertt

I changed the min throttle back to 1300, removed the props, and re-calibrated the ESCs. The throttle and yaw endpoints adjusted fine to 100-1500-2000 but the roll and pitch would only go from about 1170 to 1750.

When I armed the motors they would run way more than just idle speed, maybe half throttle, so none of the motors would stop when I moved the frame around. Each one would stop as I moved the frame around when the min throttle was set to 900, but I can see why this would be a problem while flying.

What's next?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
On closer inspection, I'm not aware of any 1300 MINTHROTTLE setting. 1300 is closer to half throttle than a min throttle. The only min throttles I see are...
#define MINTHROTTLE 1120 // for Super Simple ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1190

Since you have changed the code. I would grab the code off this thread again and reload it to make sure you are working with a clean copy.

Quote:
...the roll and pitch would only go from about 1170 to 1750.
What TX/RX are you using? Looks like it might be spektrum in which case you should be able to get roll and pitch near 1000-2000 with no problem, especially since you were able to do it with the throttle channel.

Quote:
...When I armed the motors they would run way more than just idle speed, maybe half throttle, so none of the motors would stop when I moved the frame around. Each one would stop as I moved the frame around when the min throttle was set to 900, but I can see why this would be a problem while flying...
I would try to find why you can't get the roll and pitch TX calibration closer to 1000-2000. If you can't, then get them even at about 1250-1500-1750

After you get the TX calibration sorted out, test your RX fail safe by removing the props, arming your quad, then shutting off the TX to see how the quad behaves. The motors should shut off hopefully. If not then just be aware of how the quad can behave if you loose power to the RX or a signal lock out.

After that, put a plastic cup over the electronics to protect them in case your quad flips over.

After that you need to put the props on, grab the quad very firmly from the top and start it up. Shake the quad around and adjust the P settings in the configurator until it feels like it's trying to correct your hand movements without being sluggish or too aggressive.

Then your done and become the coolest kit on the block with your new quad toy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
The 1300 min throttle was the turnigy 10A the line above the simple 10A esc.

The roll and pitch travel adjustments are at 150% on my DX8. I get 1194-1789 on the roll and 1197-1796 on pitch. I'll adjust R and P to 1250-1750.

I suppose you would adjust the P settings up. I also suppose you would change the P settings and then push "write"?

My failsafe did not stop the motors. Everything else seems to be right. With the motors about half throttle the sticks seem to work the right motors and when I move the frame around the correct motors seem to resist the changes in attitude. I hope to try it out tomorrow, the weather should be great.
Last edited by tom-tom 1; Oct 20, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:26 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
Ok, I see that line with the 1300 in it now. Might as well use that then if those are the ESC's you have I guess. 1300 is really high though. If you can get away with using 1120 or something near there I would stay with that.

I'm surprised a DX8 won't let you get closer to 1000-2000 but it sounds like you adjusting the right thing to try and get it there. 1250-1750 should be good enough for flying though. Probably not enough to do the TX stick gyro calibration though (Left stick, lower left- Right stick, lower right) so make sure your quad is on a flat surface when plug it in and don't move it for a good 15 seconds. The gyros auto calibrate everytime you plug in the flight battery so thats why it needs to be on a flat surface and not touched.

Your correct on the P setting. Push "write" to send your changes to the actual quad. Push "read" to make sure your values actually got sent to the quad. When you push "read" these are the values that the quad is currently using. As for raising P up or down, it all depends on how your quad is acting. Default setting should be good for you to just take off without touching anything. If the quad oscillates quickly then P is too high. If the quad oscillates slowly then P is too low.

On your TX use 25 percent expo on Pitch, Roll an Yaw.

Make sure your TX is in Acro "Airplane" mode and not helicopter mode. If it wasn't in accro mode then you will need to do the TX and ESC calbrations again. Sorry, I forgot to mention that earlier.

Remove the ratchet from your TX throttle stick if it has one. Put plastic fuel tubing over the metal ratchet piece that is inside your TX or something so it still give some pressure to the stick without causing the jumpy ratchet action.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 22, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
RCvertt

It turns out, my quad copter is too heavy for the little blue wonder motors. I can kinda jump the quad off the ground, but it is just too heavy. It weighs 36 oz. I'm either going to put the board on my QTR which has new larger motors, build a lighter QTR or get a lighter frame for my quad copter.

Just another thought. If I raised the throttle setting above 2000, would it gain me any more power?
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
Build a lighter quad frame. I have used 3/4th inch poplar wood sticks from Osh which work great. Find some light plywood from a Hobby shop and you will be easily around 600 grams. It'll be a good lesson in building light. One of the most important lessons I had to learn on the way as well.

Your quad, ready to fly with battery, should weigh no more than 700 grams with those blue wonders. My QTR weighed 800 grams and the 2100mah 3 cell battery only lasted about three laps around the field before I had to land.

Setting the throttle above 2000 shouldn't do anything. It may cause unwanted bugs in the code as well.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
RCvertt
I finally got everything together and working. I have a flying quad copter. It turned out heavy at 866 grams but it flys pretty stable. Yaw, pitch and roll are good and it has minimum oscillation. In addition to the pics, I had video but it would not upload for some reason. I'll try again tomorrow to get a video to load.
What do you recommend as the next step toward the QTR project?
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
Here is video of my quad copter.

Tom's quad copter (0 min 36 sec)
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,153 Posts
Quote:
Here is video of my quad copter...
Nicely done!

Looks like P might be a touch high on roll. Play with the P values and get used to how they affect the quad.

Next step is to get used to just flying the thing. Eventually you should get used to how the quad responds when you are standing in front of it instead of behind it. Also when you are standing off to the side. When you land your QTR it most likely won't be perfectly in front of you. It'll be coming in from the right or left so doing some flying like that would be good QTR practice. Take your time with it tough. Took me at least a few months before I became comfortable flying my quad and even now I can't do much more than hover.

You'll notice that all of my QTD landings are kind of over my shoulder in that I try to plan it so the quad is as much in front of me a possible when converting to a hover or taking off vertically.

Again, great job in getting it in the air. Looks stable.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!