HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,148 Posts
To help your chances of the next WMP working, use a genuine WMP. Take it out of the case slowly and very carefully so you don't damage it. A hardware store should have the special Y/triwing/trigram screwdriver so you don't have to break the case apart. A philip screwdriver won't work. Handle the sensor board by the edges so you don't touch the components and touch something metal as you work so that static electricity doesn't damage the sensors.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 30, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
RCvertt

I got a new WM+ and connected it to the the ProMini board on which I had previously uploaded the 1.7 code. I opened the GUI and got the graph to work. The Quad copter illustration and the pitch and roll indicators don't work. The top left numbers propagate when I choose the read button. The graph changes when I move the board around.

So next I guess I need to mount the two boards on to a more stationary single board and install it into my quad to test it.
tom-tom 1 is offline Find More Posts by tom-tom 1
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom 1 View Post
RCvertt

I got a new WM+ and connected it to the the ProMini board on which I had previously uploaded the 1.7 code. I opened the GUI and got the graph to work. The Quad copter illustration and the pitch and roll indicators don't work. The top left numbers propagate when I choose the read button. The graph changes when I move the board around.

So next I guess I need to mount the two boards on to a more stationary single board and install it into my quad to test it.
Sound good, can you post a picture. The quad illustration and pitch/roll indicators don't work because we don't have the accel board attached so this is normal behavior when using only the gyro board.

We are building a regular quadcopter first so don't worry about the QTR frame just yet. Make sure your WMP is positioned like this image so that the gyros are pointing the correct direction. Calibrate your ESC's throttle range before starting to wire things up. Using the attached updated wiring diagram, use a UBEC of at least 3 amps to power all your electronics. With that, build a cheep wooden quad frame, double tape your ProMini and sensors to a small piece of foam and then mount that foam onto the quad with hot glue or more double sided tape.

Once your quad is built, remove the props and start it up. Put a piece of tape on the motor shafts so you can see which way they are spinning. Make sure they spin the correct direction and that the correct motors spin up and slow down as you move the quad. Once you are sure the gyros are commanding the gyros correctly, test your fail safe if your receiver has one. Test your fail safe by giving some throttle and turning off your TX. If you have a receiver with fail safe capability like spektrum, then your motors should shut off when the TX is off. Make sure your fail safe is set correctly or your motors could go to full power if it isn't.

Post some images if you get your quad hovering. Again this should just be a regular quadcopter and not the QTR frame yet.

*This wiring diagram isn't perfect. When using USB power only, the BEC will start to over heat. Keep a finger on it when using only USB power.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I mounted the two boards to a piece of plexi-glass with adhesive caulk. Here are photos. I will follow your previous instructions and post photos as I progress.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,148 Posts
Looks good. Looks like that isn't a genuine WMP but since it shows up in the config you should be in good shape.

Doesn't matter how the ProMini is oriented but based on the WMP this looks like the way you will want to mount it in your quad.

Plexiglass is very heavy. Plastic in general is very heavy compared to foam. Try to trim the plate down as much as you can.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 30, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I calibrated the ESCs on my Quad Copter, removed the props, installed the boards and hooked it all up using the new wiring diagram. It would not work. The Led on the ProMini lights up dimly and the WMP showes no light when I try to move the yaw stick, low trottloe left or right. I checked the voltage going to pins RAW and GND and got 5.59v. Here are more photos.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,148 Posts
Try this quadcopter X config code. I'm not sure exactly which code we had loaded up last.

You have to plug in the flight pack or you won't see it move in the configurator since it's the only thing powering up the receiver.

When you move the board you don't see any movement in the gyro graph?

When you move your TX sticks do you see the corresponding channels move in the configurator?

-----------
If still nothing after doing the above, start all over and make sure you see gyro graph movement after every new wire is added to the ProMini. For safety do not keep the WMP powered to the computer as you add new wires to it. Disconnect from computer power, add a wire to the ProMini, then reconnect power to the computer to check the gyro graph.

1) Load up this code again.
2) Disconnect everything from the ProMini except for the WMP.
3) Connect the ProMini to your computer.
4) *Make sure you can see gyro graph movement. Don't continue until you see it. Disconnect from the computer if you see gyro graph movement.
5) Connect the UBEC to the receiver and connect the receiver to the ProMini.
6) *Make sure you can see gyro graph movement. Don't continue until you see it. Disconnect from the computer if you see gyro graph movement.
7) Connect the flight battery to the UBEC. Connect the ProMini to your computer.
8) *Make sure you can see gyro graph movement. Don't continue until you see it. Disconnect from the computer if you see gyro graph movement.
9) Move the TX sticks and look for TX movement in the configurator.
10) Let me know if you get this far or let me know which step you stopped seeing gyro graph movement in the configurator.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I unhooked the board from the Quad Copter and the config. would not work. I guess I fried the WMP. I get to go be grandpa until Sunday. I'll pick up another WMP and regroup.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,148 Posts
You mean you connected the ProMini back up to the config and the gyro graph didn't move? If so then yah, sounds like it might have fried.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
Yes, I unhooked all the connections from the promini and the WMP, but leaving the two boards connected together, and the graph would not work. I assume the WMP board is fried.

I noticed a loose #12 pin on the ProMini. While trying to repair it I broke the solder ring on the board, so I tried to load the program onto a new ProMini board from Sparkfun. I got the message "COM 5 in use-try quiting the program using this port and try again" or similar wording. I don't have any other programs running that I know of. Do you know how to get past this point?

My past experience tells me that if the solder pad or ring breaks loose your done. I have the above mentioned new ProMini and a new WMP board so I'm trying to catch up to where we left off.

I seem to be having an unusual number of problems with this project, but I'm not going to give up and I hope you won't give up on me. I am learning. Thank you for your patience.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,148 Posts
I agree. If the solder ring is broken then the board is no good. Even if you get lucky with flowing enough solder in there to connect to the trace again it's still not as strong a bond a it would be to a pad.

Quote:
...I seem to be having an unusual number of problems with this project, but I'm not going to give up and I hope you won't give up on me. I am learning. Thank you for your patience.
I just fried my Nano because I didn't follow my own wiring directions. I connected power to the 5v pin instead of the VIN pin so even the so called professionals make mistakes when wiring this stuff up

Make sure you connect power to your RAW pin on the ProMini. Don't use the VCC pin.

Problems are to be expected, especially since this is your first time doing it, and may be compounded by our use of Arduinos and WMP's that aren't genuine. The difference between those that have a QTR and those that don't is that those that have one just don't give up when they run into such problems

If you continue to have problems, make sure you are using a genuine ProMini from sparkfun and a genuine WMP from a store that came in nintendo packaging, is a green colored board, costs about 30$ and has those funky Y shaped screws. That's the only way to know for sure that it's a genuine WMP.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 03, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,148 Posts
Here is how I just wired up a new ProMini.

1) First image is just a WMP+Chuck connected to a ProMini. The ProMini is connected to a FTDI programmer. This is all you need in order to see the gyros move in the configurator.

2) Second image has the receiver and 5v BED added as per the wiring diagram a few posts up. That's all you need in order to see your TX movement in the configurator.

And any point in the build you should be able to connect to the configurator and see your gyro movement in the graph. It should never stop working. If it stops working, something is wrong and you need to back track a little until they work again.

Doesn't matter if you use USB power or USB and Battery power at the same time. Gyro movement should show up in the configurator no matter what.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 03, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Jun 2010
58 Posts
I still can't get past the COM PORT problem. Do you have any ideas?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,148 Posts
Quote:
I still can't get past the COM PORT problem. Do you have any ideas?
I only get that when I leave the configurator on while trying to upload a sketch in the Arduino IDE. You have to close the configurator first.

Also try putting your USB cable into another USB slot on your computer.

If still no joy...
1) Get a genuine WMP. The one you are using is definately not genuine.

2) Remove the WMP from the ProMini and try to upload the blink sketch. If it won't load then the ProMini is bad. If it loads then the ProMini is most likely ok.

3) If the blink sketch loads, load up the copter code. Then attache the WMP to the ProMini. If you get the comport error then there is something wrong with your sensor board and you need a new WMP.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 04, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,148 Posts
Quote:
...I checked the voltage going to pins RAW and GND and got 5.59v. Here are more photos.
What is the voltage from pin 12?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!