HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:07 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,556 Posts
Another advantage of passing the control surface signals through the control board is that it is pretty easy to reverse the servo direction if required. Pitch, roll and yaw direction are first determined by setting up the quadcopter controls. To get the servos for the control surfaces moving in the correct direction ( if they end up backwards) you either have to physically rearrange the servo in the airframe or use a servo reverser. The controller can take care of the servo reversing.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:51 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,598 Posts
Servo direction is Not even a issue witheither rmy DX7 or my 8FG tx's !

But I see you point.

Nothing done today as I did Training flights with a student this AM and
MOWED the grass this PM !
Tomorrow is toast as well with a Trip To Town planned by my wife
and looming bad weather forcasts..

L8r

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:21 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Servo direction is Not even a issue witheither rmy DX7 or my 8FG tx's !

But I see you point.

Nothing done today as I did Training flights with a student this AM and
MOWED the grass this PM !
Tomorrow is toast as well with a Trip To Town planned by my wife
and looming bad weather forcasts..

L8r

Bob
"Servo direction is Not even a issue witheither rmy DX7 or my 8FG tx's ! "

This is the complication of two aircraft melded in to one. Once you have the quad flying correctly, you can't reverse channels in the Tx to suit the servos because you'll also reverse and mess up the controls on the quad. So to get the servos moving in the right direction you have to position the servo to get the correct direction or use an external servo reverser or let the controller reverse any servo directions required.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
Quote:
Servo direction is Not even a issue witheither rmy DX7 or my 8FG tx's !...
If you use your channel duplication method then you should be able to reverse any channels that need it. You should also be able to adjust the travel of each mode separately since ESC roll for hovering won't necessarily give the correct travel for servo aileron roll when in forward flight for example.

You can use your DX7 if you don't use yaw for forward flight.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 21, 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,598 Posts
Might as well DO the Pass Thru then . eh ? :-)
Or use my 8FG Super Tx.

Thanks for the input again.

I'll be needing more help next week or in Mid July after the indy trip.

Bob
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
In case I didn't mention it before, your build is looking really good.

Quote:
Might as well DO the Pass Thru then . eh ? :-)...
Basically. If LF gives you the code why not use it.

You don't really need yaw with forward flight so your TX mixing method might work. By the time you figure out the TX/Arduino/Vtail mixing formula, you could have probably got it all working in the Arduino
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:52 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,556 Posts
Another advantage of the pass through approach is that once you get the basics working, you can start adding refinements and possible simplifications.

Examples:
  • In forward flight you can mix rudder into the motors and eliminated the need for the rudders (did this on my F-35, EZ Hover and Hover Jet). Two control surfaces/servos gone.
  • Make the rear control surfaces "elevons" instead of "ailerons", possibly eliminate the front elevator ( did this on EZ Hover). Another control surface/servo gone.
  • You can add a little gyro control tor the control surfaces for forward flight. Did this on all three of my VTOL's. Too much (especially pitch and roll) will cause oscillations at high speed.
  • You can make the flaps ( elevons ) come down in hover.

Not saying you'll want to do all of these things but just gives you an idea of what can be done using the flight control board.

I can't write the code from scratch. Cass3825 did that for me on all my projects. I'm pretty good at shuffling things around and tweaking once I have a sketch (modified code) that will allow me to adjust the operation of the motors and servos. I think RCvertt is capable of code writing too. I'll do what I can to help (it is fun for me), but you'll need someone like RCvertt or cass3825 to help too.

Also, start with the most basics in the program. Worry about the fancy stuff later.
Last edited by leadfeather; Jun 22, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,598 Posts
To be clear and SAFE ...

1. I will need to Backup and have a copy of WHAT I currently have.

2. I will need to know How to save that code or GET a Copy of whats in there now from ... ???

3. Then I'll need Cass3825's or RCvertt's code to "play" with.

You guys know I am at RCNeitzke@centurytel.net RIGHT ?
Or IF you want to upload it to my site I can open up a Dir for anonymous !

worry ??? ME Worry ... no chance :-)

Bob

PS:
I HAVE Arduino 1.0.1 for windows installed.
And I have Multiwii2_0 also installed.

Unfortunately I NEVER was a big fan of "C" "C#" or similar !
Now micro code I've done but a long long time ago.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
Quote:
...I HAVE Arduino 1.0.1 for windows installed.
And I have Multiwii2_0 also installed.

Unfortunately I NEVER was a big fan of "C" "C#" or similar !
Now micro code I've done but a long long time ago.
Can't help with WultiWii2_0. I don't use a magnetometer or baro yet so I haven't upgraded from 1.7. Not a fan of C or C++ either which is why I like Arduino depending on how it's written.

Is it just me or has this site changed the way attachments are shown? When I click on an image then click on show all images in this thread it used to list zip file attachments as well as images but now it only lists images. Makes it a little difficult to find my old posts with ziped code in them.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:15 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,598 Posts
I would have thought that the Magnetometer + the dual YAW accl and gyro
would make the Yaw a LOCKED ON function but Noooo !

Mine still drifts around a bit.
I was checking it out a bit more today and making more PID changes.

Yes better than the Gyro only KK boards

The Bar IMHO is almost a waste. +- maybe 3 meters or more.
Cripes, I can hold it tighter than that with attention to throttle.

No t C ... good !
What is it then ?
I was looking thru some .h and similar files that came with all that Sw
and it reminded me of C ... kinda.

So, what is "it" that is being Programmed ?
I guess I don't GET all the interrelated pieces and how they work together.
Hi level, Low level, Modular stuff I'm thinking.

Where do I go for the Big Picture / Overview and Straight skivvy ?
It would be nice to have a grasp of the concepts vs just Do this or Do that , ya know

E N U F board stuff !

Today I glued in the 4 motor shaft PIVOTS.

Then I soldered and Bent and Cut and mounted the swivel Nose LG and Wheel.
I also picked out some main wheels and I pondering their mount mechanism next !

On my Cherokee I bent the wire and SEWED it with Kevlar thread and then glued that
asst to the Spars.

I MAY do a similar on each side then Cover over the sewn Ply with those Fat Foils
that were meant to make up Wheel wells.

The motors ? It took HK 3 days to get my order TO the Shipping dept.
with a promise of up to 45 day delivery. It typically never has taken that long.
But it's always two weeks at least.

Finally , while IN town I bought some White spray can paint at HoDEPo.
It was Rustoleum UltraCover also bonds to plastic )
Yeah Right ! :-( It bonds somewhere BELOW the Skin level where it starts Eating it away !

Neither Hodee or Lowee had Krylon H2O.

I shoulda looked at Walleez

Happy weekend !

Bob
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
Quote:
I would have thought that the Magnetometer + the dual YAW accl and gyro
would make the Yaw a LOCKED ON function but Noooo !

Mine still drifts around a bit.
I was checking it out a bit more today and making more PID changes.

Yes better than the Gyro only KK boards

The Bar IMHO is almost a waste. +- maybe 3 meters or more.
Cripes, I can hold it tighter than that with attention to throttle...
Glad I haven't upgraded yet then. I'll probably port my code over to ArduCopter so the code base doesn't keep changing on me so much.

Quote:
...No t C ... good !
What is it then ?
I was looking thru some .h and similar files that came with all that Sw
and it reminded me of C ... kinda.

So, what is "it" that is being Programmed ?
I guess I don't GET all the interrelated pieces and how they work together.
Hi level, Low level, Modular stuff I'm thinking.

Where do I go for the Big Picture / Overview and Straight skivvy ?
It would be nice to have a grasp of the concepts vs just Do this or Do that , ya know...
It's the wiring language which is a combination of C and C++ that can be easier to read. But as mentioned it still depends on how it was written. The new 2.0 MultiWii is more difficult to read than the 1.7 version. Version 1.7 is one simple file and 2.0 has stuff scattered over about 10 files now with all those (.h) files.

This was one of my last code releases. It has servo tilting and has three flight modes as seen in the video. Not quite as advanced as what I'm currently using in my quad but the code is about as simple as it gets for a functional VTOL aircraft that can do it all with a little more pilot skill.

The only parts you need to work with are at the top so you know which pins are being used for servos and motors and the vtol part at the bottom that I ported from my AeroQuad build...
Code:
  if (rcData[AUX2]>950 && rcData[AUX2]<1300)                                                             //xxHover flight   
       {
        servoNeutral = servoNeutral + 1;                                                              
        if (servoNeutral >= 200) servoNeutral = 200;                                                               
        servo[1] = constrain(1500 -axisPID[YAW]/4 + servoNeutral +40, 1020, 2000);                                           
        servo[2] = constrain(1500 -axisPID[YAW]/4 - servoNeutral, 1020, 2000);                                
        servo[4] = constrain(1500 -(rcCommand[PITCH] -rcCommand[ROLL]) /4 -50, 1020, 2000);                                
        servo[5] = constrain(1500 +(rcCommand[PITCH] + rcCommand[ROLL]) /4, 1020, 2000);                                  
        motor[0] = rcCommand[THROTTLE] +axisPID[PITCH]*4/3 ;                                   
        motor[1] = rcCommand[THROTTLE] -axisPID[ROLL] -axisPID[PITCH]*2/3 ;                        
        motor[2] = rcCommand[THROTTLE] +axisPID[ROLL] -axisPID[PITCH]*2/3 ;                       
       }
    if (rcData[AUX2]>1400 && rcData[AUX2]<1700)                                                            
       {
        if (servoNeutral > 0) servoNeutral = servoNeutral -1;                                              
        if (servoNeutral < 0) servoNeutral = servoNeutral +1;                                              
        if (servoNeutral == 0) servoNeutral = 0;                                                           
        servo[1] = constrain(1500 -axisPID[YAW]/4 +servoNeutral +40, 1020, 2000);                        
        servo[2] = constrain(1500 -axisPID[YAW]/4 -servoNeutral, 1020, 2000);                            
        servo[4] = constrain(1500 -(rcCommand[PITCH] -rcCommand[ROLL]) /4 -50, 1020, 2000);               
        servo[5] = constrain(1500 +(rcCommand[PITCH] +rcCommand[ROLL]) /4, 1020, 2000);                  
        motor[0] = rcCommand[THROTTLE] +axisPID[PITCH]*4/3 ;                                              
        motor[1] = rcCommand[THROTTLE] -axisPID[ROLL] -axisPID[PITCH]*2/3 ;                              
        motor[2] = rcCommand[THROTTLE] +axisPID[ROLL] -axisPID[PITCH]*2/3 ;                              
       }
    if (rcData[AUX2]>1800 && rcData[AUX2]<2050)                                                            
       {
        servoNeutral = servoNeutral - 1;
        if (servoNeutral <= -250) servoNeutral = -250;
        servo[1] = constrain(1500 -(rcCommand[PITCH] -rcCommand[ROLL]) /3 + servoNeutral +40, 1020, 2000);                        
        servo[2] = constrain(1500 +(rcCommand[PITCH] +rcCommand[ROLL]) /3 - servoNeutral, 1020, 2000);                            
        servo[5] = constrain(1500 +(rcCommand[PITCH] +rcCommand[ROLL]) /4, 1020, 2000);                  
        motor[0] = MINCOMMAND;                                                                             
        motor[1] = rcCommand[THROTTLE] - axisPID[YAW]*2/3 ;                                                
        motor[2] = rcCommand[THROTTLE] + axisPID[YAW]*2/3 ;                                                
       }
  #endif
If that is still confusing then it might be best to have someone give you code for 2.0
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 23, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:52 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,598 Posts
Thanksfor the long reply to the long questions, and Good morning :-)

I went to that thread and found http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=52

which is pretty much exactly wat I want except for the individual tilting up front.

I am assuming that the MAG and BARO stuff i NOT in 1.7 code.
yeah yeah I know I siad it was drifty and or almost worthless, but ... :-}

Raining again today so It looks like a building day.

L8r

Bob
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,106 Posts
Good morning

1.7 might have mag but I'm not sure. Haven't fired up the GUI in a while to see what options are there. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have baro. I never used either one and 2.0 is suppose to have improved in both of those areas so if you didn't like 2.0 with those 1.7 probably won't be any better.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jun 23, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:39 AM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,598 Posts
I am bout to do the Read LG glue ON !

Here are pix of work so far.

I simply cut some thin ply to the size and shape of the LG Pods outline.
Then I layed out a 90 deg line on the Ply and drilled a set of holes on either side of the wire for the Kevlar thread.
I cut a length of thread and glued on end TO the Ply.
I also lightly touched the far end of the thread with CA to make a Needle otherwise it will fray. when handled.

The I laced up the whole thing and ended with a generous WICKING of CA .

This thread is ~35# per thread.
It'll CUT YOU if you try to break it.
Several wraps at each set of holes and , well, YOU do the math !

Bob

A kevlar resource:
http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miv...oduct-selected
I got a spool years ago and still have enough for the rest of my life !
Over 4300 feet is a lot of thread !
Last edited by birdofplay; Jun 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,598 Posts
Got it up on it's wheel this afternoon.

I also worked the screws into and then out of the wooden mounts.
Then I "slobbered" some thin CA down the holes to harden up the screw threads.

I may yet this evening slap on the Nose sheeting.

T's all for Saturday :-)

Bob