HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:14 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
I've been churning out ideas on VTOL designs and think I've found a cool solution...Do you think the code would work for this?
Good design. Shouldn't be a problem to do with which ever code you go with. Looks like relatively minor changes would be needed.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasra View Post
I would move the nacelles to the top.
Yeah, I thought about that too. I may still try a bicopter setup with flaps directing the thrust like Peter's FedUp design.

too many choices!!!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:22 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,461 Posts
Quote:
I've been churning out ideas on VTOL designs and think I've found a cool solution...

A Quadcopter VTOL - duh! It should be stable in hover and should be easy to make the mechanics for tilting the firewalls. The motors in the rear would tilt down and the motors in the front tilt up. I plan to build this on a 75% Twins Cargo (design by F&T).

See the pic below of my rough design, ignore the airplane's looks as Google Sketch-Up doesn't have a Twins Cargo in the warehouse.

Do you think the code would work for this?
That is an interesting and novel approach. Looking forward to seeing more development.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Good design. Shouldn't be a problem to do with which ever code you go with. Looks like relatively minor changes would be needed.
Thanks for the insight - looking forward to the test flights in the next few weeks. Will keep you guys updated with pics and reports when possible.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Jul 2009
10 Posts
begging for the plans.......
sarikahyamd is offline Find More Posts by sarikahyamd
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikahyamd View Post
begging for the plans.......
Sometimes it's more fun to take the idea of a great airplane and built it differently using your own mind and style...
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:00 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
looks great Crazy! I think it'll make an exellent VTOL. It sort of reminds me of the guy who made an osprey with the same naccele setup where the rotors would be. I didn't see him transition though. Definitely keep us updated!

as far as plans go, I can give some basic dimensions but no PDF's as I just hand drew it on a piece of foam and just hacked it out with a box cutter.
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Feb 24, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
looks great Crazy! I think it'll make an exellent VTOL. It sort of reminds me of the guy who made an osprey with the same naccele setup where the rotors would be. I didn't see him transition though. Definitely keep us updated!

as far as plans go, I can give some basic dimensions but no PDF's as I just hand drew it on a piece of foam and just hacked it out with a box cutter.
I like the way you hack. I will keep you guys updated on my rendition of the QTR. Right now I'm having a few beers and cutting the firewalls - happy Friday y'all!

FYI, any more beers in my system and it will be a CTR (Crazy Tilt Rotor).Luckily, I'm out of beer and parts to continue building tonight.
Last edited by crazyj; Feb 24, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:07 AM
Austria
Joined Oct 2007
281 Posts
Quote:
I've been churning out ideas on VTOL designs and think I've found a cool solution...

A Quadcopter VTOL - duh! It should be stable in hover and should be easy to make the mechanics for tilting the firewalls. The motors in the rear would tilt down and the motors in the front tilt up. I plan to build this on a 75% Twins Cargo (design by F&T).

See the pic below of my rough design, ignore the airplane's looks as Google Sketch-Up doesn't have a Twins Cargo in the warehouse.

Do you think the code would work for this?
Hi crazyj, just for your info.
This kind of QTR-design was patented by John Frederick Austen-Brown back in 2003 - the Personal Hoverplane. I think he build an RC-prototype with 4 ic-engines I may have a picture somewhere.

...btw like your scarab avatar tricopter, nice work!
VTOLicious is offline Find More Posts by VTOLicious
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:22 AM
France, PACA, Nice
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Hi guys, I'm French and I'm in the middle of building a Cargo VTOL Tricopter like V22 Osprey and wanted to say thanks for all your help in this forum.
The idea was based on Leadfeather F35.
Unfortunately I do not understand how to modify the code to make it compatible with my setup.
Thank you Cass3825 for your great work.
I used MultiWii_dev_20110903bb version and VTOL_DUAL definition on MiniWii from ViaCopter.
I have not found where I should change the control direction of servo in the code
Because i have most servos inverted based on the orientation.
Leadfeather what versions you have installed ?
I have a DX7 radio.
you used a mix program on your radio to use the 3-position button?
if so how did you set this one ?
would you be kind enough to upload the version you use on your f35 to compare settings ?
I apologize for asking so many questions.
I have read many post that talks about the VTOL.
But the VTOL is not easy.
Thank you again for the help you give me.
speeder06 is offline Find More Posts by speeder06
Old Feb 25, 2012, 07:43 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder06 View Post
Hi guys, I'm French and I'm in the middle of building a Cargo VTOL Tricopter like V22 Osprey and wanted to say thanks for all your help in this forum.
The idea was based on Leadfeather F35.
Unfortunately I do not understand how to modify the code to make it compatible with my setup.
Thank you Cass3825 for your great work.
I used MultiWii_dev_20110903bb version and VTOL_DUAL definition on MiniWii from ViaCopter.
I have not found where I should change the control direction of servo in the code
Because i have most servos inverted based on the orientation.
Leadfeather what versions you have installed ?
I have a DX7 radio.
you used a mix program on your radio to use the 3-position button?
if so how did you set this one ?
would you be kind enough to upload the version you use on your f35 to compare settings ?
I apologize for asking so many questions.
I have read many post that talks about the VTOL.
But the VTOL is not easy.
Thank you again for the help you give me.
Bonjour Speeder,

Welcome to VTOL!

I would suggest starting a new thread for our build. There may be many posts to help you get everything working correctly. You can also post pictures, which everyone enjoys and will also help others to help you figure things out.

The signal to the servo varies from 1000 (low) to 3000 (high) with 1500 in the center. To reverse any one tilt servo, you can modify the code to make the value = 3000 - what ever the math expression is. This will reverse the 1000 to 2000 signal and make it 2000 to 1000.

For the control surface servos, change the signs in front of each axispid[PITCH], axispid[ROLL] to get the correct movement.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Feb 25, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTOLicious View Post
Hi crazyj, just for your info.
This kind of QTR-design was patented by John Frederick Austen-Brown back in 2003 - the Personal Hoverplane. I think he build an RC-prototype with 4 ic-engines I may have a picture somewhere.

...btw like your scarab avatar tricopter, nice work!
Thanks for sharing and posting the photo. I thought for sure my idea was unique... more building today - hope to have the nacelles completed with motors and servos installed.

Thank you for the kind words on the Scarab Avatar.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:54 AM
France, PACA, Nice
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
thnak you leadfeather for your prompt response.
but i don't know where i found this value on the code to change it.
which version you use V1.7 or the Dev ?
on dev version there are several tabs
Where i found and modify on ConfigH or other ?
thank for your help
speeder06 is offline Find More Posts by speeder06
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:24 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,576 Posts
Quote:
thank for your help
I'm using cass's modified dev version of the code. Available on his blog.

Launch the Arduino program. Open the sketch ( the MultiWii program such as 1.9 or whatever you're using). There are tabs at the top of the Arduino program. Click the tab lableled "output". About 3/4s of the way down you'll find a section staring with (in cass's version) if defined VTOL_dual. That is where you will find the specific lines of code are to control the motors and servos.

Please post more details about your build so we give you the correct advice and direction. How many fans do you have in hover? How many servos and for what function? This information will ensure we get you started down the correct path.
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:00 AM
France
Joined Nov 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
thank for your help
Hi Speeder,

We're two now....

(Pm me in french if you need some tips for the multiwii Vtol)
lebrett is offline Find More Posts by lebrett