Joined Jul 2010
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin McGRath View Post
Working on my arrow!

Devin,

Looking very good - nice and straight as an Arrow

I had to say it

What electronics are you planning to use?

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:22 AM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
954 Posts
For equipment I will be using...

Hacker a10-9l
Castle P10 controller
Thunder Power 2 cell 325 65c
Futaba r6004ff receiver
Futaba 3154 servos for the tail
Futaba 3156 for the ailerons

Kit goes together very well
Devin McGRath is offline Find More Posts by Devin McGRath
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:28 AM
Jan Spatny
Czech republic
Joined Nov 2004
205 Posts
Hi guys,
I have recently tried my older aeromusical sequence with super light (138g) Arrow V5. I have to admit that making it light was stupid idea, because it doesn't fly fast enough for flying on music.

It does everything properly and it's so easy to fly!!! Great for training new maneuvers etc, but it literally stops every time you lower RPM on the prop. On the other hand, I might figure out how to use it in the competition.

In the meantime I officially approve Donatas's recommendation 150g+ rtf weight :-))

Jan
HonzaS is offline Find More Posts by HonzaS
Old Jan 24, 2012, 05:56 AM
Howell N.J
Joined Apr 2001
630 Posts
Arrow V5 Donatus and Dave WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys, just wanted to add my 2 cents here, I bought this plane a few months ago from Dave, Ive known him for a long time we used to belong to the same club and watching him practice his pattern flying was like watching DaVinci paint!!!! So smooth and precise..... anyway was searching for a plane for indoor and came across Donatus V5 and I was sold. WOW!!! what a plane. I called Dave and we spoke for a long time, mostly catching up on the last 15 years and he is a great guy lots of info in his head, well I ordered the plane and was going to start building, then I hurt my lower back and have been unable to start project for 2 months as I could not stand without crutches, but I got the OK from doctors to go back to regular activity Tomorrow and first thing I will do is build my Arrow. Donatus did a great job on quality and completeness of this kit, love the paint and all the carbon fiber. I should have it done by the weekend, will post some pics when done, Anyway big thanks to Donatus and to Dave Good guys, Can't hardly wait!!!!
Eric G.
PS, Oh Yeah, almost forgot hey Dave and Donatus, more video love watching you guys fly relaxes and inspires me at the same time, you make it look like so much fun, even though I know how much work you put into 1-2 minute routine, it's awesome to watch...
Eric Giorgiantonio is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgiantonio
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:11 PM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
More progress today, ready for servo and electronics install now which I'm hoping I'll get for my birthday in a couple of days

Today: Wing braced including middle SFG's, Undercarriage legs on, Elevator hinged and braced, Bottom fuselage attached and braced. Put some Glass cloth round the wing bracing, both at the fuselage end and the 4 points on the wing. The tail bracing I've done the same as Donatas, I wasn't going too at first but ended up doing and I'm glad I did. It adds way more strength then I expected!

58g at the moment! (according to my scales which could mean anything... probably about 80g)

Loads of pictures including how it will look with top fuselage attached.

Connor
F3P Connor is offline Find More Posts by F3P Connor
Last edited by F3P Connor; Jan 24, 2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:11 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3P Connor View Post
More progress today, ready for servo and electronics install now which I'm hoping I'll get for my birthday in a couple of days

Today: Wing braced including middle SFG's, Undercarriage legs on, Elevator hinged and braced, Bottom fuselage attached and braced. Put some Glass cloth round the wing bracing, both at the fuselage end and the 4 points on the wing. The tail bracing I've done the same as Donatas, I wasn't going too at first but ended up doing and I'm glad I did. It adds way more strength then I expected!

58g at the moment! (according to my scales which could mean anything... probably about 80g)

Loads of pictures including how it will look with top fuselage attached.

Connor
looks like a top-notch build.

What are you planning for electronics?

JC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Jan 24, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:18 PM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,945 Posts
I see HS35 boxes on the bench
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:28 PM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
looks like a top-notch build. What are you planning for electronics?

JC
Spektrum 3030's all round, 1 on ailerons, fast, digital and 2.0kg of torque and only 8.8grams
Axi 2203/RACE up front and thunderpower 480's as packs

Same set-up as my Angelwing Designs Afriel basically apart from i used 3010's on the ailerons of that, and that flies awesome at 191g!

Pull pull on rudder but I think i'm gonna go pushrod on elevator for this after a lot of thinking

Connor
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:29 PM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
That was for Petes V1 Silent Angel, which flies very nice. It weighs 131g and I built it! MIRACLE!

Connor
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:38 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
Your eyes are much better than mine (zoom didn't help me) or you have actually been in his workshop.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:47 PM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Very sharp eyes to spot that I have to say

Do the SFG's sit 90 degrees relative to the wing angle, so they're at a slight outward angle to the fuselage? If that makes sense...

Connor
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:56 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3P Connor View Post
Very sharp eyes to spot that I have to say

Do the SFG's sit 90 degrees relative to the wing angle, so they're at a slight outward angle to the fuselage? If that makes sense...

Connor
Correct - somewhere around post #65-67 (if I remember correctly) this was discussed. 90* to LE and the back edge of SFG aligned with where the aileron counterbalance begins.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:02 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
954 Posts
Some more shots from last night ... Unfortunately no time to work on it tonight

Devin McGrath
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:20 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin McGRath View Post
Some more shots from last night ... Unfortunately no time to work on it tonight

Devin McGrath
Hmmm... any reason for splitting the upper fuselage?

I see you only have one pinned hinge on rudder. To prevent tearing/shearing since the pull-pull horn is nearby?

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
Team Futaba
Rochester New York
Joined Oct 2004
954 Posts
Yes I do that on Evey hinge point where the control horn is.

I split the fuse there to add a flat piece of carbon fiber from where the carbon wing trussing meets the lower verticle fuse all the way up to the top of the canopy. I believe Donatas does the same thing or something very simmilar.

Devin McGrath