HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:53 PM
Eric Johnson
United States, NY, Northport
Joined Mar 2011
36 Posts
don, would two ds188's be adequate for aileron?
infinitefoamies is offline Find More Posts by infinitefoamies
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:00 PM
leliommarino
United States, MA
Joined Nov 2007
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Don View Post
Ok here are couple pictures that will explain what misterious triangle is for I like to use allot of Rudder in my flying, so there is allot of pressure on rudder and point where Pull Pull is located, i found such construction is the best. Vor elevator V reinforcement, there is no big tricks, idea is to make elevator as strong as possible and avoid twisting.

Also i finally finished Arrow video: http://vimeo.com/30955851
and for these triangles is one used for elevator and the other for rudder?
leliommarino is offline Find More Posts by leliommarino
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:27 PM
JR > Futaba
Green Lane, PA
Joined Mar 2008
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitefoamies View Post
don, would two ds188's be adequate for aileron?
Yup, they work great on any Freestyle model
--Brian
pvtzemerak is offline Find More Posts by pvtzemerak
Old Oct 26, 2011, 02:47 PM
Joined Nov 2004
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leliommarino View Post
and for these triangles is one used for elevator and the other for rudder?
No both are used on Rudder, if you put only one, other side will not hold right and will bend and crash depron with time. For elevator pull pull you have square plywood piece included glue both pieces from top and bottom, then drill 1,5 mm hole and place 1,5mm carbon rod there.

Jr188 is good servo, but with Aeromusical plane, quite soon you will fell play in gears, i would recommend two JR290g ore single Hitex 65hb.
3Don is offline Find More Posts by 3Don
Old Oct 26, 2011, 04:06 PM
leliommarino
United States, MA
Joined Nov 2007
656 Posts
Quote:
No both are used on Rudder, if you put only one, other side will not hold right and will bend and crash depron with time. For elevator pull pull you have square plywood piece included glue both pieces from top and bottom, then drill 1,5 mm hole and place 1,5mm carbon rod there.

Jr188 is good servo, but with Aeromusical plane, quite soon you will fell play in gears, i would recommend two JR290g ore single Hitex 65hb.
ok good to know about to start my build in 10 min
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
leliommarino
United States, MA
Joined Nov 2007
656 Posts
hey don i have mine ready for for a maiden where should the CG be for this plane
Old Oct 29, 2011, 08:37 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leliommarino View Post
hey don i have mine ready for for a maiden where should the CG be for this plane
22-24cm from motor mount.

Regards,

Dave
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322
Old Oct 30, 2011, 04:48 PM
Eric Johnson
Joined Mar 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveL322 View Post
22-24cm from motor mount.

Regards,

Dave
what about if you are using thrust vectoring? would it be 22-24cm from the front of the foam?
Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:54 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
874 Posts
Some progress...

I attached a couple of pictures of the underside.

Actually, the plane is almost finished now. I took Don's advice and added the ply piece to the other side of the elevator as well. It is so light that there's no reason to save there and it is much easier to attach the pull pull horn. I'm still trying to figure out a way to get the thread mounting points to match the hinge line since a straight stick won't do that.

I have one suggestion for improvement: The glass fiber horns could be a tad lighter. The aileron horns weigh approximately a gram each. I lightened them a bit and got the weight down to 0.72 g a piece and they are still very stiff and strong. I bet they could be lightened even more without any fear.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Nov 2004
961 Posts
Quote:
what about if you are using thrust vectoring? would it be 22-24cm from the front of the foam?
I notice no difference in CG with ore it without TVR. By the way here is very useful picture for people that plan to use TVR system, right size measurments.
FinnSpeed you are completely right about hardware size. First prototypes came with very thin fiberglass that is ok for F3P but not for Am plane, so i ask to increase thickness of hardware. Obviously 1mm is to much, so next serie of Arrow will be 0.7mm. Should be right strengt and weight ratio. My goal is to make Donatas Design kits best indoor models ever produced, and believe me im sending huge amount of updates for each next order. This is learning process for me as well.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:13 PM
Eric Johnson
Joined Mar 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
I notice no difference in CG with ore it without TVR. By the way here is very useful picture for people that plan to use TVR system, right size measurments.
FinnSpeed you are completely right about hardware size. First prototypes came with very thin fiberglass that is ok for F3P but not for Am plane, so i ask to increase thickness of hardware. Obviously 1mm is to much, so next serie of Arrow will be 0.7mm. Should be right strengt and weight ratio. My goal is to make Donatas Design kits best indoor models ever produced, and believe me im sending huge amount of updates for each next order. This is learning process for me as well.
can you give a measurement for how far back the rudder cables should cross, say from the front of the plane?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:29 PM
Eric Johnson
Joined Mar 2011
36 Posts
also would those measurements be different if i put the rudder servo in the normal aileron servo spot? i would do this so it has more rigidity from torquing side to side.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:59 AM
Joined Nov 2004
961 Posts
Quote:
can you give a measurement for how far back the rudder cables should cross, say from the front of the plane?
54 cm is place where cables cross measuring from motor mount. Yes they may change but very small amount, more change will be in vertical axis. Ok as promised im starting very detailed building thread for Arrow. I will be using this plane in German championship, little less than 4 weeks until event and i still building (nice.... not.

First Arrow release is not milled version (now we preparing milled version with some updates for mass production, it will be for competition pilots and those who willing to test VPP and need lighter model). I plan to put allot of carbon reinforcement and not the lightest equipment (for AM i preffere to have powerful/fast/strong servos). So at the end plane become quite heavy, and it is harder to fly very precise in small spaces. So i decide to make milling for this Arrow, it save 9 grams! This quite allot, however milling is option if you competition pilot and to build plane best as possible, if you fly just for fun no need to do this. So here we go:
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
32 Posts
Don can you post a picture of the bit you use to do the milling
nate540 is offline Find More Posts by nate540
Old Nov 01, 2011, 04:44 PM
Eric Johnson
Joined Mar 2011
36 Posts
Quote:
54 cm is place where cables cross measuring from motor mount. Yes they may change but very small amount, more change will be in vertical axis. Ok as promised im starting very detailed building thread for Arrow. I will be using this plane in German championship, little less than 4 weeks until event and i still building (nice.... not.

First Arrow release is not milled version (now we preparing milled version with some updates for mass production, it will be for competition pilots and those who willing to test VPP and need lighter model). I plan to put allot of carbon reinforcement and not the lightest equipment (for AM i preffere to have powerful/fast/strong servos). So at the end plane become quite heavy, and it is harder to fly very precise in small spaces. So i decide to make milling for this Arrow, it save 9 grams! This quite allot, however milling is option if you competition pilot and to build plane best as possible, if you fly just for fun no need to do this. So here we go:
any idea when the milled version will be available in the us?