HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2011, 04:41 PM
Joined Nov 2004
967 Posts
Hello Mr. Petrik,

Happy to see you enjoy new plane. What capacity/weight battery you use? My recommendation for C.G. is from 22-24cm from nose (motor mount), depending on pilot taste.
3Don is offline Find More Posts by 3Don
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:16 PM
Sverige, Södermanlands Län, Eskilstuna
Joined Jan 2008
196 Posts
Hi,
I used DesirePower 360mAh V6 2S 25C 25gram with this motor today but they are from last season.
I will get somen new lipos that Autopartner have, DesirePower 380mAh V8 2S 35C 24gram.
Maybe even go with DesirePower 300mAh V8 2S 35C 15gram and change motor to a EP S1804 V3 12.5g that I have laying around.
I did not thougt that little brushless had enough power for a 150 gram plane but Per used that one and it work ok.
Then I will save 18.5 gram (10 gram on Lipo and 8.5 gram on Motor).

I have not measured where the CG turned out but it flies straight both in level flight and inverted so I think it is OK.

I also did one minor shange in the build.
I do not like vings to flex to mush so I let the CF sticks that support under the wiings go almost all the way out so I had to move the two depron pieces that support them a bit further out on the wings (Think Per did the same).

I will also add the two fin pieces on the upper side on the wings that I forgot during the build (was a bit tired around 03.00 in the night).
Petrik59 is offline Find More Posts by Petrik59
Last edited by Petrik59; Oct 18, 2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:48 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
Hi Don!

I just received the kit I ordered from Sweden today. They were quite fast, the order was placed almost at midnight on 12th and it arrived already today! Everything is in perfect condition, all parts are straight and I think all hardware is there.

However, I did not see any instructions. Should there be any? Of course, building the Arrow should be pretty straightforward but I'd still like to have instructions as backup if there's anything that is not directly obvious.

BR, ***Risto***

Edit: I see that this is going to be the build thread. Don, I suppose you just did not have time yet to do the build...
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Last edited by Finnspeed; Oct 17, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:09 PM
Joined Nov 2004
967 Posts
Hi Risto,

I start milling Arrow, this will be my competition plane, i will explain why i do this in next few days when is tart building thread/manual here. Sorry for delay im exremelly busy form early in a morning till late at night, that is what new business require If you have some questions just post them here, ic an answer andd at same time this will be good info for rest people building this plane.

Today i start shooting promotional video for Arrow, this will be good one, cneak peak shot:
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:50 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
Don,

Your help is very much appreciated! I actually started building just 30 minutes ago and I have the beveling and elevator hinge done. I'm a slow builder since I like to check all the parts and think about different ways of achieving the next step while I'm doing it. Joining the tail to the wing seems to be easy too but then comes the first step I have something to ask about:

The wing leading edge

There is going to be one single piece of 0.3 mm x 3 mm flat carbon from wing tip to wing tip right? Then you can join the nose piece as well? Are there going to be any other pieces of carbon before gluing the bottom part of the fuselage?

It might take me till tomorrow before I'm there. I will do this slowly since I don't even have the motor yet and have not decided which servos to use. The ailerons are going to have a single Futaba S3114 but the rest I don't know yet.

BR, ***Risto***
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:20 AM
Joined Nov 2004
967 Posts
Ok quick answer. First of wings must have 0,5mm on leading and back edge of the wing. If you plan to use Pull Pull on elevator, this will sure bend fuselage to sides, so then another piece of carbon necessary on fuselage sides, i take 0,5mm carbon and "shave it off" with blade to make it thiner. Next step lay everything down on flat table and assemble nose wings and tail section together. But make sure distance from each wingtip to elevator is the same.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:04 PM
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
Donatas, there are no drag brakes required on this plane? The plane looks great!!
Balsa Breaker is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Breaker
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:32 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
322 Posts
Arrow V5 in US

Hi Guys,

The first Donatas Designs kits have arrived; a small batch of the Arrow V5. Just echoing what Donatas has said, printing is very nice, foam is very straight and flat, and the hardware and CF bits are good quality. I have been using fiberglass cloth for years to reinforce high stress areas, and this is the first kit I have seen that includes fiberglass cloth. I plan to get 1 or 2 built for JR Indoor, and expect to see several there flying.

Price is $75 plus shipping, and I can deliver at JR indoor to avoid shipping if preferred (PM me for purchase).

Regards,

Dave
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:41 AM
Jan Spatny
Czech republic
Joined Nov 2004
205 Posts
5 Arrows arrived in Czech republic yesterday. Printing is done in awesome quality, for that kind of money it looks really amazing! Depron is cutted by laser, also pretty good quality. I hope I'll fly mine soon!

So far I can say that this really is world class product. I like it.

Jan
HonzaS is offline Find More Posts by HonzaS
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:51 AM
Joined Nov 2004
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsa Breaker View Post
Donatas, there are no drag brakes required on this plane? The plane looks great!!
This is aeromusical plane not pattern, so there fore no brakes are necessary, since AM plane have to be agile and fast.

Food news, i was able to get in my hall (that is under reapair) and make new Arrow V5 video, that sure is great flying airplane!!! Video should be available today, stay tunned.

Honza, good to know you received kits and they are fine, please keep us updated how things go, i hope i will be able to visit Prague competition this year again.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:38 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
Horizontal part ready...

Yes, I'm a really slow builder.

Now I have the horizontal part almost ready. I browsed through Don's images and was able to figure out most of the structure and details but not all. I have some questions before moving on to attach the fuse bottom.

1) I know that the wing root to fuse tail joint needs some glass for reinforcement. Don, would you recommend adding the glass to both top and bottom or only one side?

2) The elevator still needs some carbon. I saw pieces on 0.5 x 3 mm carbon in v-shape and then the two pieces of ply in the middle. Are there any tricks that were not visible in the images posted so far?

3) The glass fiber parts did not include horns for pull-pull system. I suppose they are made out of the carbon pieces that were in the same bag as the white thread but what's the recommended method?

4) Then there was a peculiar triangular shaped part with the glass fiber hardware. What is the purpose of that one?

From my images you'll notice that I made a small modification to the wing. I embedded the rear carbon brace in front of the hinge line since I like beveling both sides of the hinge. I think it should work OK.

***Risto***
Last edited by Finnspeed; Oct 22, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
322 Posts
Risto,

I can answer some of the questions -

1) Top and bottom works best. I understand you idea to leave a gap between the CF on the fuse sides and the CF on the back of the wing, but it is best to not have a gap. The small gap will concentrate where the flex is happening and the foam will weaken quickly. No worries though if you add the glass cloth, it will make this area very strong.

I have tried the bevel on both sides of the hinges before and it was fine.

4) I am waiting for this answer also

Regards,

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
Yes, I'm a really slow builder.

1) I know that the wing root to fuse tail joint needs some glass for reinforcement. Don, would you recommend adding the glass to both top and bottom or only one side?

4) Then there was a peculiar triangular shaped part with the glass fiber hardware. What is the purpose of that one?

From my images you'll notice that I made a small modification tom the wing. I embedded the rear carbon brace in front of the hinge line since I like beveling both sides of the hinge. I think it should work OK.

***Risto***
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Nov 2004
967 Posts
Ok here are couple pictures that will explain what misterious triangle is for I like to use allot of Rudder in my flying, so there is allot of pressure on rudder and point where Pull Pull is located, i found such construction is the best. Vor elevator V reinforcement, there is no big tricks, idea is to make elevator as strong as possible and avoid twisting.

Also i finally finished Arrow video:
Donatas Design first kit Arrow V.5 in Action (10 min 0 sec)
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:31 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
The video is very cool! I see why you need lots of braces to the moving surfaces. I may be able to get a long with a little less... My flying skills are light years behind that.

Thanks for the explanations and photos. I'm pretty sure I can get the plane together now without making any major mistakes.

I'm going to use pull-pull in the tail and probably another S3114 on the rudder. Elevator servo will be Blue Arrow D05010MG.

***Risto***
Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:15 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
I added the glass cloth reinforcements (top and bottom) and some carbon to the elevator. I'm going to leave the 3-dimensional carbon rod structure out from the moving surfaces. I'm sure they will be rigid enough for my flying.

The next step is to drill a hole to the ply piece for pull-pull horn and then glue the bottom fuse...

***Risto***