HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:32 AM
United States, TX, Georgetown
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
Question
F9f Panther

I got my F9F Panther from UPS the other day and followed the instructions to test out the electronics prior to doing any building. All the electronics worked. I did notice a fair amount of vibration when I ran the fan. ( I never took it up to the top speed) This is my first foamy EDF though I have been an RC flyer for years, including nitro fiberglass plane ducted fans. Is this normal? Does the foam transmit a lot of vibratiion?
My second issue is, one aileron has two hinge-point type hinges in it. The other wing has no hinge points on the aileron. The horizontal stab/elevator has no hinge points either, although, like the aileron, there are places built into the foam for hinge points. Am I missing a package of hinge points? ( I found none in the box.)
Please find the attached pictures. Sorry about the quality of the pictures. I hope you can see the hinge points on the one aileron in the pictures, and not on the other.
My order number is bh18-167306.
Thanks,
Tom
tbaus100 is offline Find More Posts by tbaus100
Last edited by tbaus100; Sep 15, 2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Pictures not good quality. NOw see that.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Feb 2011
463 Posts
Hey tbaus100, I have forwarded the pix to Pete and he is going to go ahead and respond to your post within the next couple hours.
Banana Hobby CSR is offline Find More Posts by Banana Hobby CSR
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:58 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Hello tbaus100, I have reviewed all the photos that you have posted here and sent to Bailey as well. I have a few things to share with you. First, I have no idea why you would want your aileron surface to move near 90 Degrees like in the photos. That little F-9F only needs about 15 degrees of positive and 15 degrees of negative travel on all the surfaces. Any more than that, she is s super handful and very hard to handle. 15 degrees will give you a pretty fast roll rate as is. Of course it is personal preference. However, there is no reason to bend those surfaces to the extent shown in the photos. Second, The "hinge slots" are supplied into the foam in case the existing One Piece Living EPO Hinge was to break. As you can see, the control surfaces are linked by a one piece EPO hinge. Leave it that way. Our manufacturer may include a bag with plastic hinges. That is provided for the hobbyist that chooses to cut the EPO hinge and replace with plastic. That is not a requirement. Actually all my aircraft with EPO one piece hinges right up to 80" wingspan, I have left them just as is. Never had an issue with the EPO Hinge.

I suggest you leave the F9F the way it is as she is a small EDF. Install the control horns, and your gear and go fly. The photos you have provided show nothing wrong at all. It is completely normal. I have one of these F-9F's and I modified it to fly at about 120mph and with the stock EPO Hinge with no issues at all. Hope this has been helpful. Happy Flying!

Regards,

Pete

Just to clarify more, the Hinge Points you see are just indention areas. They can be Hollow or have a piece of residual foam there. This does not matter. They are there in the event you want to use plastic hinges. The area is slotted out for ease of installing plastic hinges. What you see are not not the hinges. The hinges run the complete length of the control surface. It is the EPO Foam.
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:37 AM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
First of all, thanks Pete for replying.. Please allow me to clarify. I do not want my hinges to move that much. The one hinge that has the foam hinge cut and the little black wire hinge points installed moves that much on it's own, and quite easily. The other other aileron is just foam. I was attempting to bend the hinge enough so you could see it did not have hinge points like the other wing. My question was ( since little black wire hinge points were installed on one wing and not the other) was I missing parts. My second question was the fan seemed to have a lot of vibration. It was not rubbing the shroud and I did not spool it up all the way. I just wanted to make sure this was Ok. The nature of my question was, when I put it all together and actually spool it up all the way "does it smooth out and is the vibration damped by having all the parts put together".
I am OK flying it with one wing from the factory having little wire hinge points ( yes, they are there) on one wing and a foam hinge on the other as you say they do not come with hinge points. I am OK gluing it together and flying it with the fan vibration ( which may be normal for all I know) if you say "go for it". I just did not want to start gluing things together to later find out I had a problem in the first place I should have told y'all about. I am trying to follow the rules.
I appreciate the answers. I have been like a kid with a new toy he cannot touch but has to look at it across the room! I am dieing to get at it! I am ready to put it together and go fly!
By the way Pete, you are a heck of RC pilot. I think you could put a slab wing on a brick and make it 3D!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 06:03 PM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
tbaus100, I will always do what I can to help out. May I please request from you some in focus photos please. I can not tell from the photos what "black wires" you are talking about. All the surfaces are just foam hinged from the factory. Please let me know. Thanks!

Regards,

Pete
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
Here you go Pete. I used a different camera this time and got more light on the subject. You should be able to see the hinge points now. They look kinda nice. Notice how the aileron just naturally hangs at this angle. I am not forcing it at all. It moves up and down really smoothly with no friction. The only loading the servo will get with these hinge points is from air flow not from the hinge itself.
Regards,
Tom
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:17 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
Here is the bottom side of the wing. Now that I look at the hinge points in good light, I can see they are not black, but the same dark blue color the wing is. I look forward to your thoughts..
Tom
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:41 AM
Sunny SoCal!
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Thank you for the photos. I see what you are saying now. If you would like, I can have a set of hinges shipped to you and you can install that on the other wing. Looks like they installed one side and forgot the other. They are very easy to install. Let me know what you would like to do. Thank you for your continued patience in this matter.

Regards,

Pete
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
That would be great! I think the ailerons would be more balanced if they were both hinged the same way. Thanks.
Tom
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
I believe when you ship me the hinges you have met your obligation as a conscientious seller of this airplane and I truly appreciate that. If both ailerons are hinged the same then they should both move at the same speed with the same servo type.

As I do not have a baseline to go on for the vibration issue, which is probably nothing and I am just over-thinking it, I was wondering if y'all would go one more step and sell me another RTF F9F and not charge me shipping or reduce shipping costs, as you will be shipping me hinges already. That way I would have a complete set of spares and I would have another fan unit to compare vibration with to see whether or not I should look into the fan or not. I think this would be over-the-top customer support.

Please let me know if this is something you can do.
Looking forward to your reply.
Tom
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:28 PM
United States, OH, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
205 Posts
Aileron Hinges

My guess is that the factory had trouble with the EPO hinge on that one wing half and rather than pack and ship it that way they did a "fix".
If that may be the case then hats off to QC.

KFC
Keepmfromcrashen is offline Find More Posts by Keepmfromcrashen
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
46 Posts
Banana Hobby sent me hinge points for the other aileron and sent me the missing screws to hold the fan hatch closed and sent me a new nose wheel aluminum "coupler" as the original was missing a set screw and had one of the holes out of round. ( which is probably why the set screw was missing. It would not hold a screw as the hole was drilled out of round.) It took them a while to get me all I needed, but they came through. Banana Hobby took care of me.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
29 Posts
deleted
sabsy is offline Find More Posts by sabsy
Last edited by sabsy; Oct 30, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,263 Posts
Hi Pete,
Is there anyway you could photo the inside of your panther?

I do not really have a cluse where some of the wireing/ESC/RX go ...so until I know I cant glue the fueslage togeather.
i want to get the weight/CG as close as possible..

ANY help installing the innards would be nice...the Directions Do absolutly nothing but show you the parts...I wasnt even sure in wich direction the Main gear was to be mounted...but guessed they should mount so the wheels are as close to the middle of the wing as possible ( so it can rotate on takeoff)

I am SURE Im not the only one that wishes there were Instructions..or a build thread somewhere...most threads are RTF kits on the Panther.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Pat
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Aug 22, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Jun 2012
191 Posts
Hi Weed89! How's the panther flying? -Seba
Sebastian_BHcsr is offline Find More Posts by Sebastian_BHcsr