Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:24 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
Help!
72MHz JR XP9303 to 2.4GHz

Need help; is this the best way to convert my JR Tx from 72MHz to 2.4GHz?

Purchace and install this module?

DSM2 AIRMOD with AR7010 JR-Compatible by Spektrum (Horizon $109.99)

Thanks
oldone1942 is offline Find More Posts by oldone1942
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:38 AM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,165 Posts
Same deal here....switch my XP9303 or get something new?
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:48 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,044 Posts
I have a XP9303 and I went with a FrSky telemetry module. It had all I was looking for.

I did not like satellite receivers and prefer the long antenna leads instead. Do not always have room for a satellite. Also, the two leads coming out of most receiver bases on Spektrum are NOt two different antennas for diversity but rather two dipoles of the same antenna. this is also true of the satellites. On the FrSky Rxs, the two antennas are trully two different ones and some form of diversity scheme is used but I do not understand it so I will not suggest it is one way or another. It will use the better signal from one of the two antennas.

They are full range and have failsafe on all channels, no like some Spektrum that have SmartSafe where only some have a setable failsafe position, while others may hold, throttle may cut, etc.

Each Receiver is only $15-$25. Cheap

It uses frequency hopping like most other brands do not 2 fixed channels that DSM2 uses

Telemetry is available and if you want beeping for RSSI(signal strength) or voltage, the 2 ways have it 'built in'. On some they need a voltage divider circuit, others have them already hardwired internally. there is a hub with lots of cheap sensors available and a HUB is now coming out or is out.

I think Oleg and a few others have used them in DLG competition and have not had any issues.

If a DSMX module were available (which I do not knwo but so far think they will not be making one), that would be better but it is up to you on the DSM2.

I also have a Spektrum DSM2 module that I use for backyard flying and the BNF stuff. I doubt any of my DLGs or any sailplane will see a Spektrum receiver though. I have more faith in FrSky, but that is my opinion.

there use to be a Hobbico FAAST module but I am not sure it is still being made. there is also suppose to be a Hitec module as well. Saw it in RC Sport Flyer but not sure who has it nor how much it is.

You can see a review of the 2.4 stuff at www.rcmodelreview.com . Bruce did a nice job reviewing various systems many of which are module based. At the time, the FrSky came out on top.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Sep 15, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:14 AM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Like Frank, I have 2 2.4Ghz modules for my XP9303. I have the Spektrum module that oldone called out in the original post. My other module is Assan and I use it in all my DLG's with the long antenna version of the receiver. I've never had an issue with range or interference.

The receivers I use are around $27.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:31 AM
Russ Young
Joined Mar 2006
1,165 Posts
Fishjunky....I'll check them out in person at BSOUT this weekend!

Russ
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:43 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
441 Posts
I went FrSky in my JRXP6102 and it has worked perfectly so far. Very inexpensive as Frank says. Just comparing the technology and performance records, I'd definitely go FrSky. Plus the price is awesome. I know Spektrum is in much wider use, therefore more reports of problems, but as far as I've seen and read, FrSky might be a better choice.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:45 PM
Israel
Joined Jan 2005
138 Posts
I've been using FrSky module with my 9303 for a year now.
Excellent choice, no issues at all. I'm using D6FR receivers in my gliders.

Dani
Dani123 is offline Find More Posts by Dani123
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:02 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,444 Posts
AAA+ for the FrSky as well! No program changing or such. Plug in the module, screw on the antenna, go fly all the same stuff ! The receivers come in high voltage as well !
Been in my 9303 for over a year with no issues.
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:16 PM
Russ Young
Joined Mar 2006
1,165 Posts
Here's a link to the FrSky stuff at HobbyKing:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...le_RX_V2_.html
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:55 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,450 Posts
Also using the FrSky stuff with my XP9303, but the non-telemetry receivers (V8 series).

The Telemetry ones (D8 series) do not get along with DS285 servos.
(Or perhaps it is more accurate to say the servos don't get along with the down-link RF data of the D8. They buzz and draw large amounts of current.)

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:05 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Assan stuff from HC...

Module with 2 receivers

Receivers I use on DLG's

I know 1 guy using this little receiver in a Blaster 3, but I like the longer antennae.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:15 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoarthenland View Post
Fishjunky....I'll check them out in person at BSOUT this weekend!

Russ
Looking forward to meeting up with you. I'm the bald guy wearing the funny toe shoes

Looks like the FrSky stuff is a bit more economical, if I'd known anyone flying it I probably would have tried it instead of the Assan. There are a few of us locally that fly the Assan ( I'm the late adopter, made sure I heard good reports from the guys I know).

-Jim
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:40 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
WOW!
Just what I needed. Thanks to all. Now I can get'er done with confidence.
oldone1942 is offline Find More Posts by oldone1942
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:27 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2006
124 Posts
Another vote for Frsky..I have 9303 & 9X2 both converted to 2.4 with Frsky telemetry version.. NO ISSUES so far :-)
Ian Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Thompson
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:13 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldone1942 View Post
Purchace and install this module?

DSM2 AIRMOD with AR7010 JR-Compatible by Spektrum (Horizon $109.99)
Yeah, that works fine. I am using that in my JR 783. I run AR6255s in DLGs and other small gliders. If you don't have a need for the AR7000 that comes with the module you can typically sell them used for about $70 or so here on rcgroups.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke