SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Royal Tunbridge Wells
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Discussion
Build your own launch ramp, well I did anyway :)

Hi all, though I'd just share a few pics of my latest project.
I need a nice big launch ramp to launch my last project (a bloody heavy fast fibreglass pusher jet) so been looking for bits to make one.
On way home from work today I found a bent up metal ikea type frame thing, after a couple of hours with a tube cutter, head scratching and lots of beer I ended up with the enclosed

Still not finished but its looking good and very stable!
AndyInKent is offline Find More Posts by AndyInKent
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2011, 10:52 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,163 Posts
I think we call that a "shopping cart"...
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Sep 15, 2011, 05:40 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
I like it. It's something that I wish my club had
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
I've been launching my SkyFun with my home-made PVC launcher for a little over a month now, but I still haven't taken any pictures of it yet.
I know my plane is lighter than yours (about 19 ounces AUW), but I still think you have too much height and up-angle at the front. Unless you're going to invent a launch mechanism that is parallel with your ramp, you'll put too much stress and drag on your plane with a typical elastic launcher that is fixed to the ground out ahead of your ramp.
A ground-based mechanism is usually easiest to accomplish, and that requires a much lower ramp height and angle than most people think.
My ramp is only 3 feet long, and no more than 12 inches high at the front and about 10 inches high in the back, and uses 12 feet of surgical tubing stretched out another 12 feet to 24 total feet.
Launches are perfect every time.
What's your plan for the accelerating mechanism and release catch?
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old Sep 15, 2011, 01:08 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
1,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63 View Post
I've been launching my SkyFun with my home-made PVC launcher for a little over a month now, but I still haven't taken any pictures of it yet.
I know my plane is lighter than yours (about 19 ounces AUW), but I still think you have too much height and up-angle at the front. Unless you're going to invent a launch mechanism that is parallel with your ramp, you'll put too much stress and drag on your plane with a typical elastic launcher that is fixed to the ground out ahead of your ramp.
A ground-based mechanism is usually easiest to accomplish, and that requires a much lower ramp height and angle than most people think.
My ramp is only 3 feet long, and no more than 12 inches high at the front and about 10 inches high in the back, and uses 12 feet of surgical tubing stretched out another 12 feet to 24 total feet.
I think the beers told him hes just going to go WOT and liftoff.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:19 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
We shall see when I give it a test
I am using an elastic launcher with the ramp, one thing I havent done yet is a small wheel on the top strut for the elastic to run over.
It should be okay as I am not going to add any more tension on the elastic than I use now, just want to get the launch a bit higher
Old Sep 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighSelllow View Post

I think the beers told him hes just going to go WOT and liftoff.
Lol, huh?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:06 PM
Joined Aug 2010
322 Posts
Yes a wheel near the top will help with the tension angle at the instant of launch, hopefully that won't be offset by downward pull once the plane clears the rails.
I'm looking forward to hearing about the results!
soundguy63 is offline Find More Posts by soundguy63
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Yes a wheel near the top will help with the tension angle at the instant of launch, hopefully that won't be offset by downward pull once the plane clears the rails.
I'm looking forward to hearing about the results!
What like this? :P

The long runs are now held together with elastic inside so easy to set up
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:01 PM
Joined Mar 2011
40 Posts
You can see this in action

www.youtube.com/watch?v=riF_9LUYYlQ