HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2011, 07:51 PM
Joined Sep 2011
5 Posts
Question
Finding replacement wing rods/ identify this sailplane?

I have this 6 channel sailplane, with a wingspan of approximately 3 meters (see pics). During a recent move across the country, the wing rods got lost for the wings and vertical stabilizer. How exactly do I get a new set of rods? Any suggestions?

I have no clue what type of sailplane this is. Got it a few years ago from an old club member who no longer flies, he doesn't remember what it is either. Apparently it's an older model. I'm thinking if i knew the make of the sailplane, it would facilitate finding replacement parts?
king of flats is offline Find More Posts by king of flats
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:50 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,989 Posts
Dixiepins. Hardened mold ejector pins, in inch or metric.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Sep 15, 2011, 07:06 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,150 Posts
Lincoln Is the man to ask about this one,He will probably know what it is .
As far as the wing rods go there are a number of sources for the rods, are they carbon fiber or aluminum?
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:25 AM
Greensboro, Pa.
Joined Jun 2002
160 Posts
Looks like a Pulsar from Bob Sealy. I could be wrong but that is what it looks like to me. He sold 2 or 3 versions of that sailplane.
PDARR is offline Find More Posts by PDARR
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:54 PM
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
634 Posts
Looks like a pretty Falcon 880 to me!
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
Old Sep 15, 2011, 03:39 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
655 Posts
Rods

Determine the length required by measuring the depths of the tubes in the wings and stabs, and the length needed to reach through the fuse. Use drill bits to accurately guage the rod diameters. Most planes from that era used music wire rods. Ejector pins are better.
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:17 PM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,508 Posts
It's a Pulsar fuse, with a different wing on it, maybe. The Pulsar had a 100 inch wing if I remember right. Maybe there was an Pulsar XL at one time....

Ed
Ed Franz is offline Find More Posts by Ed Franz
Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:53 PM
Joined Dec 2003
587 Posts
Rods

www.vintagesailplanes.com
Send diameter and length. Steel, Stainless, Aluminum, ejector pins, etc.
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of flats View Post
I have this 6 channel sailplane, with a wingspan of approximately 3 meters (see pics). During a recent move across the country, the wing rods got lost for the wings and vertical stabilizer. How exactly do I get a new set of rods? Any suggestions?

I have no clue what type of sailplane this is. Got it a few years ago from an old club member who no longer flies, he doesn't remember what it is either. Apparently it's an older model. I'm thinking if i knew the make of the sailplane, it would facilitate finding replacement parts?
vintagesailplnr is offline Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:32 PM
Joined Sep 2011
5 Posts
Thanks guys. This aircraft originally had stainless wing rods. What is the advantage of the ejector pins vs stainless?
king of flats is offline Find More Posts by king of flats
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:18 PM
Joined Dec 2003
587 Posts
SS will not rust!
Ejector may tarnish in time - but rubbing with 400# steelwool will solve the tarnish problem.
Thanks
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of flats View Post
Thanks guys. This aircraft originally had stainless wing rods. What is the advantage of the ejector pins vs stainless?
vintagesailplnr is offline Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:24 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
Moi? I want to say Dodgson Saber, but I don't think the area of the fuse near the wing is right. Otherwise, it seems similar. But I'm not sure what makes me an expert!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc993 View Post
Lincoln Is the man to ask about this one,He will probably know what it is .
As far as the wing rods go there are a number of sources for the rods, are they carbon fiber or aluminum?
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2011, 08:27 AM
Williamsburg, VA
Joined Apr 2004
234 Posts
Don't think it is a Dodgson Design...

Believe that the planform on the Saber was like the Windsong/Lovesong/Anthem, single taper from root to tip.

Vertical stab/rudder looks awfully low-profile as well (though it could be 'compression' from the camera angle).

r/
Dave (who's still trying to finish a Lovesong started in the late 90's!!!)
D_Ryan is offline Find More Posts by D_Ryan
Old Sep 17, 2011, 06:32 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
I distinctly remember that the Saber was NOT a single taper. It also had a shorter span and lower aspect ratio than those others.
lincoln is online now Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:55 AM
'da Range
Joined Nov 2003
255 Posts
You can use Carbon fiber rods for the tail feathers; take your stabs to a local hobby shop and fit them. You'll have to buy a 36 in piece of two sizes, but they're cheap. Your could also measure the size and order from:

http://www.acp-composites.com/home.php?cat=4662

I would use Al for the main wingrods because of weight. An 18 in 7076 rod, 1/2 in dia, weighs around 5 oz whereas a similar size steel rod weighs 16 oz. Of course, in windy situations you may want the steel.

Bulk 7076 Al rod cut to length can be obtained from:

http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8369-7075.aspx

You will then need to 'BEND' the Al rod to approx 5 - 6 degrees creating a little dihedral when installed in your plane.

Note - you need the stronger 7076 rod!

I just went thru this process...I bent the 7076 using two pieces of regular pipe. I practiced on the less strong 6061 rod that I obtained from a local bulk metals shop. I paid $12 for three pieces of 6061, cut plus the two pieces of pipe... IMO, Your not going to be able to bend the steel rod with this process!!! This shop did NOT carry the stronger 7076 Aluminum rod, although he could order it.

If you determine you really want the 6061 rod, I will give you my bent practice piece; you pay for the shipping. I'm sure it would work, but it won't hold up to a full winch launch so that is why I'm not going to use it. 6061 is only what is available today pre-cut/bent from stores on the net, if you can find it, which is why I went my own route. It was a fun project to go thru.

My plane flys beautifully.
JrcSeller is online now Find More Posts by JrcSeller