SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I guess so, lol. Its on instructables (cant spell) He went into full detail on how to make, trim, and fly it.
zoomer088 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer088
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 10:31 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
there is a very good tutorial and video combo here on how to build a very good hot wire cutter. on the youtube page, he has a link to a large text file that explains everything in detail
THIN FOAM HOT-WIRE CUTTING PROGRESS REPORT (aka Good Riddence to Shims) (10 min 53 sec)

i built one like this and it works excellent! the smoothest and cleanest foam i have cut yet, and the kerf is very small because the wire is so thin. i also added a board to one end so that its a gravity feed for even and smooth cuts. you can add more wires to cut many sheets at once also.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 31, 2012, 10:36 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
here is the board i built, just bought a laminated shelf board at the hardware store. total cost is around $10 if you already have an old soldering iron laying around. he said it can also be powered by 2 9 volt batteries if you dont have a suitable power supply. the one i'm using is a 12v 1a and it is more than hot enough for regular white foam. mine will even cut depron and 60lbs pink construction foam
Old May 31, 2012, 11:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
That was a good video.. I have searched a lot of sites to find a good yet easy to make hot wire. I have one i made using guitar string and a transformer from my model trains.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:38 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
so i tried something a little unconventional...
printing on foam has been done for years, but finding a suitable straight through feed printer can be expensive, and i dont need another printer right now. so because the foam for walkalong gliders is so thin and floppy, i decided to give it a try and it works!
i set up the page settings to print on an envelope as my sheet was not full size. i used the image here:
and trimmed it down to the butterfly only and set the margins as close to the right and bottom as i could. it did crunch the leading edge of the sheet, but was well clear of the image. the result is a nice 7 inch span butterfly (a little bigger than real thing, but close enough)

on top of this, i made a foam body to go underneath and hold the lead for balance. it flies very good once trimmed, and comes in at 0.3 grams

so dont be afraid guys, if your foam is floppy, it should run through!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
That is cool! I like the butterfly idea.. But would not want to use a real one like I have seen on instructables. Keep the ideas going!!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 01:27 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
interesting thing with the butterfly gliders, indoors they typically fly a very straight line, but if taken outdoors in calm air when the sun is out, they fly with a mind of their own. they turn randomly reacting to every little air current they bump into, and look just like a real butterfly gliding around
it even caught they eye of a nearby robin, i think he may have gone for it if he didnt already have a worm in his beak!
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Cool. I may have to try it sometime in the near future. I moved not too long ago and most of my stuff is still packed away. And is hard to get to seeing as its all jammed into one small closet.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
mounting a walkalong butterfly

Here's the last video which condenses info in the instructable on how to mount a dead butterfly as a walkalong glider:
Son of Nabokov: Mounting and Flying Butterflies (2 min 3 sec)
x-surfer is offline Find More Posts by x-surfer
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
build and pilot your own walkalong gliders

Ok, here's the first word (printed) on the budding field of walkalong gliding. It includes the usual suspects of walkalong glider designs with experiments on wing loading and theory sections on stability and control issues in flying wing designs.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-surfer View Post
Ok, here's the first word (printed) on the budding field of walkalong gliding. It includes the usual suspects of walkalong glider designs with experiments on wing loading and theory sections on stability and control issues in flying wing designs.
oopps. due out August 3rd 2012...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:20 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
any ideas where your book will be available? will it show up on any shelves in a local store?
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Yes, where can we get this book? I want it for sure!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
464 Posts
Check this source. Aero http://www.paperbackswap.com/Build-P...ok/0071790551/
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
any ideas where your book will be available? will it show up on any shelves in a local store?
I think for a limited time, places like:
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Pilot-Yo.../dp/0071790551
and
http://books.google.com/books?id=zyt...page&q&f=false
are offering peek previews.

I've tried to do a more in depth treatment of each design as well as theory which applies to stability and control. You can also get more of a sense of the book by going through the videos I used to make the flying sequences at
http://www.walkalongglider.info
and following the links for the first 4 chapters.

Let me know what you think.