HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:46 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,623 Posts
My hat is off to Zoomero88, and anyone for that matter, with the patience and skills to do scale modelling, especially something in the Walkalong category.

I have to admit to some impatience and laziness, although I'm not proud of it. It's hard for me to commit to making a plane or glider that will take more than an hour to make, although of course when I was young it was different.
dayhead is online now Find More Posts by dayhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:58 PM
The Gorge - Oregon USofA
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
Great to see more conversation and suggestions for this topic. I love these little gliders.

there is a thread on the Micro/Indoor group, about a newer, lighter foam (1/2 depron weight ).

Might be useful here.

Carry on.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510454
Twisted Sheets is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets
Last edited by Twisted Sheets; Oct 03, 2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: omitted word.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 02:56 AM
free bird
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
Hi guys,

I found this bipe wing for Zoomero88 don't know if you can make something of it!

Name: dunne_5_3v_500.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 43.7 KB
Description:

Cheers Mike

P.S sorry I forgot to place the attachment!
Mickey D is offline Find More Posts by Mickey D
Last edited by Mickey D; Oct 09, 2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:25 AM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Sure, I would love to try.. Is there a link or something you can share?
zoomer088 is offline Find More Posts by zoomer088
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:46 AM
free bird
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Aug 2011
169 Posts
You might be able to use this as a walkalong if you remove the props! perhaps dayhead or one of the other gents might know if it would work!

Mike
Mickey D is offline Find More Posts by Mickey D
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:17 PM
yes, its a flying lamb :)
Bitola, Republic of Macedonia
Joined Apr 2009
531 Posts
Give it sufficient reflex or washout, get the CG right and it will glide.

Of course, leaving the props to freewheel is so cool of a detail.
draganbt is online now Find More Posts by draganbt
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:19 PM
SlingWinger
Joined Oct 2004
1,623 Posts
One of the early rigid wing hang gliders was a biplane flying wing named Icarus 2.

Later on another one was sold as a kit, called Easy Riser. I have built SlingWings as a biplane. Of course there's no advantage aeronautically speaking, but the novelty is fun. I say go for it.

I would recommend as much separation between the upper and lower wings as is practical and keep struts to a minimal amount. It would be neat to make the strut(s) so that you can remove them and replace with other ones. That way you could easily experiment with positive versus negative stagger, and of course the decalage as well.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
The Albatros DVa biplane I made has a spinning prop on it, looks so cool gliding across the room windmilling. It seems to help slow it down when slope flying, sort of how you leave a little power on when landing your rc airplane. Helps bleed off speed. I,ve seen other gliders like this with 6 or more props on them. lol Anyway. I really need to try to get some pics of my gliders up. I keep saying I'm going to. lol
Last edited by zoomer088; Oct 09, 2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
The Icarus and Easy Rider are very cool! Looks like ill be buisy. lol
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:04 PM
SlingWinger
Joined Oct 2004
1,623 Posts
It seems to me that props should have a very steep pitch angle to reduce drag. This would also provide a low rpm, which I think would be more appealing aesthetically.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:15 PM
Mr. Foam, Tape, and Carbon
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
I just started experimenting with some walkalongs of my own! It is pretty fun and a great workout, you know, dashing after a paper airplane trying to keep it afloat.
I have been making little flying wings out of phone book paper, I can get them going at a walking pace and I imagine them weighing somewhere around the 1-3 gram range.
I will try to get some pics of up of what I made later on.
Anyways, today was a big milestone because I got the little glider to fly down the hall and round a corner at school today with the help of a big piece of cardboard! The janitors had fun watching me awkwardly stumble after it trying to keep it up in the air. Plus here is the thing, anybody that has not seen it work is like, "OMG it is magic." So I had fun showing off my mediocre skills. I am barely able to keep the plane afloat.
I have always been a paper airplane fan and made many airplanes from the stuff. Some of my outdoor paper airplane flights, ones that were not controlled. Went pretty damn far. I can think of two that stood out particularly great. There was the Windarc that my friend designed, though it is a half copy off some other things. And it was in 6th grade at recess. I remember seeing a dot disappear over some trees. Then a second one, a much more cleanly folded delta wing type airplane that I made. It was only a few weeks ago and it caught a wonderful updraft along the side of the highschool when I was able to leave. It soared up a good 3-4 stories. Though once it got beyond the school, no more updraft and it floated away.
But that is off topic.
I will see if I can get a picture of my flying wing design for phone book paper. But later, I need to bring a camera to my robotics club tomorrow and take a few pictures. Then soon I am going to try foam gliders. I got a whole heep of depron downstairs for my aerobatic foamie designs.

Chris G.
RCvehicleGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCvehicleGuy
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I was also very proud the first time I got one to glide across the room around the corner and down a hall. It was so cool. I have had better luck with tumble wings and they take seconds to make and fly nice and slow. Plus its cool to see them spin. lol Just Google search "Tumble wing"
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,406 Posts
i made a butterfly and some birds out of very thin light foam, they are great fun to walk around with indoors. its even more mystifying when it looks like an animal you are chasing around
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Mar 20, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I've seen a video of a guy actually using a dead butterfly as a walkalong glider.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:51 PM
Mr. Foam, Tape, and Carbon
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
That's...
Creepy.
Really really really creepy.
But whatever floats your boat I guess, or rather, insect....

Chris G.
RCvehicleGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCvehicleGuy