HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:39 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
952 Posts
Build Log
Ebenezer Fokker D-VII

Taking a break from "serious" building and thought I'd try an Ebenezer. This little Fokker (!) is turning out to be a fun project and gave me an excuse to dig out my old Pee Wee 020. I fired up the Pee Wee yesterday. Wow, I had forgotten how noisy those little buggers are. Managed to rap my knuckles during starting; it's kind of embarrassing to get spanked by an 020.

All the major parts are done and given a coat of Minwax polycrylic. I'll do more sanding and one more coat of Minwax followed by a color coat. I've heard Rustoleum is fuel-proof to around 10-15% nitro, so I'll give that a try.

P
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:34 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Looks like fun Pete. Isn't it great to sometimes build something quick and simple as a relaxation from the more heavy duty stuff? I love all Ebeneezers, there was a "fly in" at Old Warden some years ago for "Ebeneezer-type" models of all sorts, and the quantity and variety of designs had to be seen to be believed. They mostly all flew in true Ebeneezer style, and you needed eyes in the back of your head (and a bone dome!).

A few years ago, seized by the urge for simplicity, I built a series of five 1/10th scale solid catapult gliders of some of the "big" vintage gliders of the late forties - Thunderking, Sunspot, Thermalist, and the Italian Turbine and British Ron Mead 1948 (I had the full size radio converted versions of the latter two at the time, boy they were BIG! The Turbine had a 140 x 14 inch wing and the Ron Mead 132 x 15). The little catapult models were great building relaxation and amazingly good performers, I gave them away before moving but one day I'll maybe build them again. I have non-digital photo prints somewhere, if I can find one I'll scan and post it.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:20 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,838 Posts
I built one of these a few years ago. It flew great (for an all sheet model). I also had an 020 in it. It's pretty easy to rap your knuckles on those little guys. Just make sure you put plenty downthrust in it.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Sep 01, 2013, 06:39 PM
Dog is my co-pilot
Denver, CO
Joined Jan 2004
952 Posts
Test flights today ended badly.....three brief flights, three crashes with minimal damage. CG is at about 30% back from the leading edge of the top wing. I've got about 10 degrees of up elevator and a few degrees of right rudder, along with several degrees of right engine thrust and a few degrees of down thrust. Model climbs briefly, then rapidly rolls to the right and spirals into the ground. I think the Pee Wee has plenty of power, but I might be way off in decalage or CG. The flight pattern almost looks like a snap roll. I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions are welcome.
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Sep 01, 2013, 10:48 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,456 Posts
How about trying just a normal test glide, no power. What happens?

Try reducing the power, set the elevator to zero, and remove the rudder off set. If the model still spirals down, maybe try moving the CG back ever so slightly until it either stops spiraling down, or will not fly.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R