HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2001, 03:21 AM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,025 Posts
maiden flight on modified lmh a sucess!!!

Hi everyone,

Well I made my first flight on a converted lmh . I am using a trinity buggy motor 17 turn with a 15 tooth pinion, and a 7x2000 pack.

First flight was great, I only had to take it up to about 1/4 throttle and she lifted off. It was ultra stable and the winds were blowing at 15-20 knts. It has a gyro to control the tail rotor which made it really stable.

So far this is my second chopper, and I have only being flying for 2 months, I have had about 4 yrs with aircraft. I also have a second hand piccolo but it is no where as stable as this heli.

I just have to make a better batt mount and wait for a really calm day to get it trimmed properly.

BTW I am going to decrease the pitch of the blades so as not to over heat the motr and to increase head speed. Is this a good idea??

Jeremy..
Jeremy_D is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy_D
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2001, 07:46 AM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,793 Posts
Any idea how many amps ya pulling ?

This is the 110, correct ?
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Oct 24, 2001, 08:08 AM
ohio, youngstown
Joined Sep 2001
329 Posts
Jeremy,
where did you mount the motor and servos, if you moved them all to the back you can velcro the bats, to the front I think I have tried every posibility and stuck with keeping the bat. velcro'ed up front, I also have a 17 turn but kyosho, and I go back and forth between 15 and 13 tooth, can't decide which I like better. try different setups and pitch if you can, I think it all depends on your specific equip as to which will work best.

good luck
jschick is offline Find More Posts by jschick
Old Oct 26, 2001, 08:25 PM
Lexington, KY USA
Joined Jul 2000
101 Posts
Quote:
BTW I am going to decrease the pitch of the blades so as not to over heat the motr and to increase head speed. Is this a good idea??

That depends. You really dont want to exceed 2000 rpm head speed. That is the maximum published by Lite Machines. You will also have less vibration and a smoother chopper if you stay below 2000. Because the E-LMH is heavier than the Glow LMH, 6-6 grips are usually required to provide great performance at 2000 rpm. If you dont want to break out the tach, just install both 6 grips and fly. Change the pinion size until your happy with the power at full throttle. If you need more power go up a tooth. Less, go with a smaller pinion.

If you lifting off at 1/4 throttle, you need a smaller pinion. You should hover at 1/2 stick or slightly more.

Alan
SNAKERS is offline Find More Posts by SNAKERS
Old Oct 27, 2001, 01:50 AM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,025 Posts
THanks for the responce guys,

Well I put on the lower pitched grips and it is hovering at just under half throttle. The motor and batteries are getting very hot, and mean hot (well the motor mainly).

Should I lower the gear pinion to a 13tooth from a 15? or is it normal for these buggy motors to get hot.

Btw I am getting about 5-7mins in a hover in ground effect when flying indoors. It is soooo stable, it leaves my piccolo for dead.

Jeremy..
Old Oct 27, 2001, 09:45 AM
Patterson New York
Joined Oct 2001
16 Posts
lmh battery

Hi, when you say your using a 2000 mah 7 cell battery. Is this a regular car type battery? Thanks, Andrew
ookiedukes is offline Find More Posts by ookiedukes
Old Oct 27, 2001, 09:00 PM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,025 Posts
yeh, just a regular sub c zapped and matched pack. 2000mah.

Jeremy..