SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:02 PM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Just admiring your 3d models Sean, And damn this plane looks like its going to be Faaaaaassssttttt
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:48 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
831 Posts
Looking good.
you could cheat your cutter size to so you don't have to have 2 CAD models.
Some cad tools allow + and - Material management. So normally you would cut +1mm, which means it will leave 1mm for finishing, then 0 would cut to size. you can then change that to a -1, which means it will be 1mm undersize.

Also interested to hear you modelled it in 3dsmax. The shape makes sense now.
wdeighton is online now Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:04 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,561 Posts
He chose that program cause it has DS in the name!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:30 PM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
976 Posts
Hey Sean, might be a silly question but why do you machine the resin channel into the positives? It wouldnt really be a resin channel anymore once you constructed the negative moulds? Could you explain your plan with this? I am kinda new to these things sorry
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:40 PM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeighton View Post
Looking good.
you could cheat your cutter size to so you don't have to have 2 CAD models.
Some cad tools allow + and - Material management. So normally you would cut +1mm, which means it will leave 1mm for finishing, then 0 would cut to size. you can then change that to a -1, which means it will be 1mm undersize.

Also interested to hear you modelled it in 3dsmax. The shape makes sense now.
I asked Geoff (machinist) if his CAM software could do this and he seemed to think not. Cheating the bit size sounds like a good idea but it might cause the roughing cut to take longer thanks to the smaller bit (and I presume smaller step across). Making the 0.5mm larger CAD model only took about 15 minutes per tip, so not a big problem.
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:43 PM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
Hey Sean, might be a silly question but why do you machine the resin channel into the positives? It wouldnt really be a resin channel anymore once you constructed the negative moulds? Could you explain your plan with this? I am kinda new to these things sorry
The TE trench will have a 15mm semi-flexible tube pushed into it prior to moulding to make the TE trench on the mould. I didn't put a TE trench on the stabiliser model (see earlier in this thread) and found it very hard to see where the TE was supposed to be when it came time to make the mould - the airfoil blends into the parting plane and you just can't see where it should be, especially with the curved TEs on this design.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:51 PM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest12 View Post
Just admiring your 3d models Sean, And damn this plane looks like its going to be Faaaaaassssttttt
Thanks Pete, can't wait for the first flight
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:17 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Moloney View Post
The TE trench will have a 15mm semi-flexible tube pushed into it prior to moulding to make the TE trench on the mould. I didn't put a TE trench on the stabiliser model (see earlier in this thread) and found it very hard to see where the TE was supposed to be when it came time to make the mould - the airfoil blends into the parting plane and you just can't see where it should be, especially with the curved TEs on this design.
Im all to familiar with that problem! I found the easiest fix was just to make a part, very carefully trim it up, place it back in the moulds and scribe a line in the moulds where the TE should be. Then you can trim up future parts easy.

Btw, I know almost nothing about Dymanic Soaring, but that is one damn sexy ship you got there!
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:57 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Moloney View Post
Thanks Pete, can't wait for the first flight
Hopefully its south of the QLD boarder
Do you think you may have the first one done for our DS season ?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:18 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Your dreaming Pete..cactus all the way...
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck View Post
Your dreaming Pete..cactus all the way...
It's free to dream Timbo
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:37 PM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
I hope so but that would be quite a feat I gotta say. Lots to do still. I do plan to work pretty solidly on it from now until it's finished.

Cactus is probably the best bet for the maiden but the first one will be lightish so maybe I'll be able to maiden it anywhere with decent lift. I can't wait to have a light one and thrash it on all kinds of different slopes!!! Being light will make it easier to tune CG etc vs a heavy one that might only get flown a couple of times a year.

Sean.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:57 PM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
A minor update - the wingtips were painted with 2 pack last Monday. I painted the top coat straight over the sanded plugs without using primer. One mist coat was applied followed by one very wet coat, and the paint was thinned a lot to help ensure a level coat.

The paint went on well but as usual there is some dust in it (something I just can't avoid in my workshop). Interestingly as it dried it developed a kind of micro porosity for want of a better description. I presume the paint is shrinking back into the porosity in the sanded epoxy surface.

The intention has been to use this first coat of paint to fill the porosity in the MDF/epoxy surface, level this first coat, let it shrink for a week then apply another heavy coat, then sand and polish that to the final finish ready for moulding. I hope by avoiding primer, using minimal paint and giving it plenty of time to cure I'll get an accurate shape that doesn't shrink back from the heat generated by moulding.

For the last couple of days I've been levelling the painted surfaces with 400 grit. It's going well, despite only one coat of paint being applied I've only gone through the paint in a couple of areas on the edge of the parting plane. I was expecting to sand most of this first coat of paint off so that's a welcome sign that the sanding has been even. It's taking a long time to do this levelling, I'm using aluminum channels for sanding blocks and you need to be very careful around square edges inparticular to avoid rounding them off. I figure time spent here is time saved applying extra coats of paint or repairing stuff ups. So far so good, edges are nice and square and the wing surfaces look really straight and true. Joiner and alignment pins still look square etc. The dust and micro pores have sanded out completely thankfully.

So I have a bit more sanding to do then it'll be a case of waiting for the paint to fully cure for at least a few more days.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:45 AM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,592 Posts
Lookin good mate... Bring on winter westerlies..
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:48 AM
Eagles are my nemesis
United States, AK, Kodiak
Joined Aug 2011
163 Posts
Looks great. Many people like myself want to see this come together. It will be a sweet glider for sure.
slope4evr is offline Find More Posts by slope4evr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rodent R3