HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:10 PM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
First Part

Well, it's only half a part really, but a good milestone nevertheless. I was curious to see how the surface looked so used some scrap carbon to get a dark colour to showup the surface (without having to apply paint).

The layup was 25g glass, 200g carbon, 1.5mm balsa sanded down a bit, 100g glass. It was good practice to try making a sandwich (my first attempt) and it also serves to stiffen this half part so it keeps its shape. I even chucked in a spar cap made from 400g uni carbon. Stab is small enough that all materials used were scraps. Marbocote was used for release and it came out very easily.

The results are good! As usual the pics are very flattering. The surface is glossy and the carbon came up beautifully with no pinholes. As expected (and hoped) the surface smoothness on the part looks better than it does on the mould, but the slight waviness is definitely still there. It's hard to capture with the camera, but you can just see it in the last pic below - look in the white highlights left by the window. It's more obvious in the flesh (the workshop fluoro is ruthless in that regard), definitely not a big deal but I do want to make sure it doesn't happen on the wings. There are a few mistakes around the LE of this moulded part which should be easily fixed next time (I know what I did wrong, won't go into detail)

In the pics you can see I've scribed the elevator hingeline in to get an idea of how it will look. I'll probably move it 1 or 2mm forward on the final stabilisers.

Moulding this was quite fun, I plan to keep knocking out stabilisers 'till I'm really happy with the results and the learning curve starts to feel a little less steep.
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:40 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,104 Posts
Wow, great result Sean. Congrats on this milestone. Very smart to keep practising and learning on the smaller parts before you go for the big bits. Off to a great start.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:41 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,314 Posts
It looks very good Sean. Good news about the Marbocote.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gravity hot wire foam cutter.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 12:04 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
Looks very nice! Great work!
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Dec 15, 2011, 03:54 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,342 Posts
Holy Crap that's awesome work Sean.

What's the wingspan of that part. Can we make a wing out of that .
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:22 AM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Thanks Guys, pretty happy with results so far, just need to get that second mould half done to have an actual complete part...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
It looks very good Sean. Good news about the Marbocote.
Yeah the Marbocote's been working a treat when used in a mould. I suspect it doesn't like being applied over paint, definitely need to do tests before using. Very easy to use and less work than wax or PVA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
Holy Crap that's awesome work Sean.

What's the wingspan of that part. Can we make a wing out of that .
Hehe I've thought about that . It's only 500mm span so is pretty tiny, 8mm thick at the thickest point. Would make a pretty crazy little plank...
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:31 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
7,314 Posts
Sealer plus Marbocote?

Is that Marbocote a two part application like Frekote? By that I mean, sealer first coat then the actual Frekote (or Marbocote).
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:45 AM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Moloney View Post
Thanks Guys, pretty happy with results so far, just need to get that second mould half done to have an actual complete part...

Yeah the Marbocote's been working a treat when used in a mould. I suspect it doesn't like being applied over paint, definitely need to do tests before using. Very easy to use and less work than wax or PVA.

Hehe I've thought about that . It's only 500mm span so is pretty tiny, 8mm thick at the thickest point. Would make a pretty crazy little plank...
Very interesting Sean, thanks for sharing.

Stab planks are proven - Julian Bailey's original Stab & his larger Stab Extremes frontside & DS very well in a wide range of conditions & are huge fun. Eagerly awaiting a carbon version
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:45 AM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
919 Posts
Stab Extreme

http://www.rcspeeds.com/aircraftdetails.aspx?AC=350
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:50 AM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
Is that Marbocote a two part application like Frekote? By that I mean, sealer first coat then the actual Frekote (or Marbocote).
Yep that's right, it's a sealer plus top coat. It's a bit pricey and has a limited shelf life, thankfully we were able to share the cost between a few people. You can buy 1L of the top coat for $60 but the sealer is the really expensive component (around $150 plus GST for a litre, which was the smallest amount available where I bought it).

I think Evan used the Marbocote top coat without the sealer on his Sniper wing, but not 100% sure on that (David, Jeff?).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:52 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
7,314 Posts
[QUOTE=Sean Moloney;20143744].................. You can buy 1L of the top coat for $60 but the sealer is the really expensive component (around $150 for a litre, which was the smallest amount available where I bought it).

..........................QUOTE]

Ouch!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:56 AM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsman View Post
Very interesting Sean, thanks for sharing.

Stab planks are proven - Julian Bailey's original Stab & his larger Stab Extremes frontside & DS very well in a wide range of conditions & are huge fun. Eagerly awaiting a carbon version
Yeah I remember those two that's what got me thinking . Wasn't the smaller one made from a Blaster DLG tail? I actually have a Blaster tail sitting around doing nothing (rest of the Blaster is now deceased).
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:22 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Strewth. Incredible.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:26 AM
Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
716 Posts
OZPAF is offline Find More Posts by OZPAF
Last edited by OZPAF; Dec 15, 2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:29 AM
Sydney
Joined Apr 2009
716 Posts
Great stuff Sean - your careful approach is paying off. I'm sure the wing will be really good after seeing your stab.
You'll have to do a stab plank - 20" will definitely be a challenge even for Asto. His 30" Msw is too big anyway
Did you transfer the hinge line during the moulding btw or scribe it on afterwards?
John
OZPAF is offline Find More Posts by OZPAF