HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:39 AM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Build Log
Deepend DP

This will be the build log for a moulded version of the Deepend. Stretched and improved in many key areas. Most notably Dirk Pflug has very generously designed the aerofoil sections, which is pretty darn exciting given his track record. Any lingering doubts over whether I should start this build faded as soon as I looked at the polars for these new sections.

It's hard to deny that bigger is usually faster so the span has gone up to the nice round number of 3M, which has also allowed a much higher aspect ratio.

This will be my first all moulded model so the name is at least as applicable to this model as it was to the original, bagged 2.3M version. I'm pretty daunted by the job at hand and have to admit to laying in bed at night wondering "what am I doing?" on more than one occasion. But thankfully this won't be a solo effort. Guys such as Timbuck, Larrikin, Jirvin and many more who've been down this road before have provided lots of advice and support. Shane aka "PlayinInThePark" is going to contribute to the build, which is a huge bonus given his experience and attention to detail.

I don't intend for this thread to be a moulding "how to", I'd be much more comfortable leaving that to the more experienced builders on this forum. This thread is much more about sharing the build. The techniques we use may not make much sense to some out there, and I'm sure many will question some of our design decisions/build techniques, but sometimes you just have to do things the way you're comfortable with. I'm certain many mistakes will be made but hopefully we'll get there in the end and I'm sure we'll learn a lot in the process.

The pics below show the general layout. These are fairly low detail 3D mockups intended only to give a preview of the design. The detailed CAD drawings are still being worked on. We'll be CNC machining positive plugs out of MDF and creating moulds from those. This technique was used to great success by Jirvin, Larrikin and Evan of Team Sniper, who live nearby. Timbuck has also used these techniques to great sucess with his Warhead 60. This is a fairly tried and tested way of making moulds from CNCed plugs so hopefully there will be a minimum of surprises and setbacks. The intention is to takes things slow, without rushing, doing one small step at a time.

Sean.
Sean Moloney is offline Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Last edited by Sean Moloney; Jun 29, 2014 at 09:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:51 AM
the occasional flyer
Rexburg, ID
Joined Jul 2008
525 Posts
We'll all be cheering you on. Nice to see the pool of big boy planes being added to.

-David
rothlisburger is offline Find More Posts by rothlisburger
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:51 AM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Stabiliser Plugs

The first thing we're doing is the stabiliser. This will give us a taste of what is to come, and allow a little experience before moving onto the bigger components. The techniques used here will be exactly the same as the ones used on the main wings.

The plugs for the stabiliser were machined today. I'm very happy with the results. Shane built the blanks for the plugs out or water-resistant MDF. This MDF is better quality than most MDF and appears to be a consistent density throughout. My expereince with cheaper MDF is that it can be a much lower density in the middle, so not the best material for shaping. Shane went to great lengths to make the blanks stable so they won't warp or bend by creating a fairly deep box section. Prior to machining the blank was painted with epoxy again to keep it stable.

The first thing to do after picking the stabiliser plug up from the machinist was to paint the machined surface with epoxy. A simple job and very satisfying after so much time spent contemplating this project. Once that was done there's nothing more for me to to do other than wait for the epoxy to dry. We'll give it it a week or so to really harden before moving onto preparing the plug surface. So that's pretty much it from me for a bit. Shane's building the MDF blanks for the wing plugs. A big job as it turns out.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:54 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,027 Posts
awesome...

I love seeing all the new plans for planes!! Is this going to be a two piece wing Sean?

Best of luck!

daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:56 PM
Go Faster!!
San Diego, CA
Joined Apr 2004
544 Posts
Sean's original bagged Deepend was one of the nicest bagged models I've ever seen. So if that's any indication of what the moulded version will look like it will be SWEET. Good luck on the project. I'm looking forward to watching. Go Sean GO!
Jason Lilly is offline Find More Posts by Jason Lilly
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:39 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,796 Posts
Mostly just subscribing... but one quick question. Are you planning a resin trap (trough) at the trailing edge of the mold?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:03 PM
Mr Windburner
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
736 Posts
look's good Sean.
Kevin Bennett is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:51 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,560 Posts
Spoke with Sean last night...I haven't heard him this exited for a long while , like a kid in a candy shop. Everything Sean builds is amazing , and this will be no exception..I'm sure it will be perfect. Looking forward to the long ride mate, oh and chucking it off CACTUS ridge next winter....tick tock tick tock..
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:04 PM
Self confessed Aeroholic
Australia, QLD, Elimbah
Joined Jan 2005
1,508 Posts
Subscribed
Larrikin is offline Find More Posts by Larrikin
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:50 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,499 Posts
Good luck with it Sean. You are incredibly modest for someone who almost blew the WR away with a bagged plane done in your basement! Im sure a bigger fully moulded plane hatched out of your brain will give that WR a good shake. Youll definitely have to get it to weldon!
All the best- Subscribed!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Sep 14, 2011, 05:56 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,337 Posts
Looking good Sean,
Keeping an Eye on this thread
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:35 PM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboz View Post
I love seeing all the new plans for planes!! Is this going to be a two piece wing Sean?

Best of luck!

My pleasure Chris .

This will be a three piece...
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:37 PM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lilly View Post
Sean's original bagged Deepend was one of the nicest bagged models I've ever seen. So if that's any indication of what the moulded version will look like it will be SWEET. Good luck on the project. I'm looking forward to watching. Go Sean GO!
Thanks Jason, I really appreciated your enthusiasm when we were over your way, it was an honour to have you launch the bagged Deepend on its first flight. The T tailed T Taker is the sexiest plane ever built, bar none!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:40 PM
It flies!
Joined Jun 2007
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Mostly just subscribing... but one quick question. Are you planning a resin trap (trough) at the trailing edge of the mold?
We'll add that right at the end, after the paint has been polished. I still need to figure out what to use there, either something flexible to go around the curved TE or cut something to the exact shape.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:51 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,087 Posts
Excellent to see the thread started Sean! So Nice that you have Shane helping. The two of you build amazing quality planes so I think together you guys are going to produce something special and world class!

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza